Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 turns per year with proper aging

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: 12 turns per year with proper aging

If you are continuing a game then you are not using the new traits file, I believe that is part of the saved game.

I would have to see what you added, probably a typo someplace in the copy/paste.

dohhhhh sorry to have wasted your time i found my problem and a bloody silly one it was to the scripts are split into traits top half triggers bottom half i put the whole script into the bottom of the character traits when i split it and put the traits up with the traits and left the triggers down with the triggers it worked perfectly maybe add that to the installation instructions for dummies like me LOL and again brilliant script there Mr Devil ill plus rep you again when i am able to

Heroes Hordes & beyond The official submod of KGCM (click the sig)

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Firez View Post
    dohhhhh sorry to have wasted your time i found my problem and a bloody silly one it was to the scripts are split into traits top half triggers bottom half i put the whole script into the bottom of the character traits when i split it and put the traits up with the traits and left the triggers down with the triggers it worked perfectly
    Yup that would do it. If you hadnt figured it out I wouild have asked you to post the entire file and we would have caught it right off.

Glad ya got it working.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    If you are continuing a game then you are not using the new traits file, I believe that is part of the saved game.
    not sure if its the same but if you do that in RTW and change number of traits/levels you find saved game has all wrong traits given to existing generals as it seems to record them within the save on a positional rather than named basis.... anyway don't change traits and try and continue old game

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Something I found curious about this that I hadn't noticed until just now, is that it seems to be achieving 4 by alternating between 5 and 3? Is this intentional?

What I mean by this is I clicked end turn, checked the number displayed on the UI to indicate what turn it was, and then checked the details scroll to check what year the game thought it was. This was the result:

(Number in brackets was notation for I_TurnNumber)
    3rd turn = 1172 (2)
    8th turn = 1173 (7)
    11th turn = 1174 (10)
    16th turn = 1175 (15)
    19th turn = 1176 (18)

These are all the first turn that it recognizes a new year. It seems to alternate recognizing a new year either 3 or 5 turns after the last time it recognized a new year. I don't think it has to do with my script since I just copied it directly, but here's what mine looks like:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Code:
    ;**********Script 1A-1 - Four Turns Per Year**********
    ;|Author| GrnEyedDvl
    ;|Purpose| Set seasons properly to work with 4tpy.
    ;|Changelog|
    ; o Script Created 2-25-09

declare_counter quarter

set_counter quarter 1 ;set to January for 4tpy

monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal ; set the season for each quarter
    	if I_CompareCounter quarter == 1 ;Jan, Feb, March
    		console_command season winter
    	end_if

if I_CompareCounter quarter == 2 ;April, May, June
    		console_command season summer
    	end_if

if I_CompareCounter quarter == 3 ;July, Aug, Sept
    	end_if

if I_CompareCounter quarter == 4 ;Oct, Nov, Dec
    		console_command season winter
    	end_if

inc_counter quarter 1 ;advance the quarter
    	if I_CompareCounter quarter == 5 ;start a new year
    		set_counter quarter 1
    	end_if
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnEnd FactionType slave
    	and I_CompareCounter quarter > 1
    end_monitor

If I had to guess, I'd say it has to do with the last two bits of the script:
    Code:
    	inc_counter quarter 1 ;advance the quarter
    	if I_CompareCounter quarter == 5 ;start a new year
    		set_counter quarter 1
    	end_if
    end_monitor
    Maybe it's somehow reading the inc_counter, and then doing something with what the game thinks the year is before setting the counter back to 1? I'm not quite sure. It may also have something to do with the fact the first year listed only lasts 2 turns(yes, the start and end dates are both winter).

So is this intentional or a fluke that is just hard to pinpoint?

hmm have to ask mr devil is it just me or does the script do strange things playing hotseat which i have just noticed?? if you play a single player hot seat it works as it does in single campaign but if you have multi human players it seems the turn of each player seems to count as a turn for the weather.

what i find happens is first turn its winter for player one but first turn for player 2 it says it winter but the map displays as if it sumer and actually winter arives at turn 4 instead of turn 6 or 5 with server winter it then turns winter again on turn 7 the change over of the year and this results in a character aging 2 times in one year due to the strange second winter mid year .

have you tested hotseat with the script?? does it do this for you and if not what have you changed to fix that as like i say it seems to be counting each players turn as a turn not the 2 players turn as 1 turn ??

it's logical that it wouldn't work with multiplayer hotseat as its triggered from
    monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal
    in multiplayer you'll get more than one FactionIsLocal turn start per 'turn'

I'd guess you'd need to have it triggered by one of the named factions pre-turn start instead... ?

Can I apply this to any mod? How?

strangely setting it to a faction type has one of 2 effecfts a playable one makes it change to winter in turn 4 instead of turn 6 as i am using the 6 turn version and selecting a non playable one eg papal or slave makes it winter all year changing for just one turn on round 7 the year change over this option atleast does have them age properly atleast as there is only one season change a year but still not sure it close to the answer of running hot seat with a multiple turn a year.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Firez View Post
    strangely setting it to a faction type has one of 2 effecfts a playable one makes it change to winter in turn 4 instead of turn 6 as i am using the 6 turn version and selecting a non playable one eg papal or slave makes it winter all year changing for just one turn on round 7 the year change over this option atleast does have them age properly atleast as there is only one season change a year but still not sure it close to the answer of running hot seat with a multiple turn a year.
    I never considered it for a hotseat, so there will obviously be problems. The script runs off the IsLocal condition, and with a hotseat campaign the turn end is always local. Probably the best solution is to trigger it off the Slave turn end for a hotseat campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankai View Post
    Can I apply this to any mod? How?
    There are instructions in the read me file.

The_Steppenwulf's Avatar Libertus
    formerly Yorkshire,UK - currently Devonshire, UK

I had probs getting this script to work properly with no errors listed in the log.

The only poss answer to this porb was that I had a list of regions in the strat file at the bottom (as in britannia campaign). removal of these regions enbled the campaign script to be read. Not sure why this should be so. Any answers would be appreciated since I now can't locate my forts or watchtowers !!

The brittania campaign doesnt have a problem here reading it's own script so I'm a little baffled why this should be so.

Does anyone know the command in the CFG to activate the console?
    Last edited by The_Steppenwulf; July 23, 2009 at 06:25 AM.

Hi do I have yourpermission to use your mod for my own project (see sig) ?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

The only poss answer to this porb was that I had a list of regions in the strat file at the bottom (as in britannia campaign). removal of these regions enbled the campaign script to be read. Not sure why this should be so. Any answers would be appreciated since I now can't locate my forts or watchtowers !!
    Any time the campaign script doesn't start indicates some problem in the descr_strat file.
    If your entries were not correct for the watch towers and forts, then this is what happened.
    Example: the co-ordinates of your fort are not in the region that you have listed at the bottom of the file. This could be simply due to a change in borders in the map_regions file.

my mod is not aging properly , i am using 1 turn per year and the characters seems to age slower is not entirely 0.50 per turn but is very close to that for what i have counted.
    Time scale is set to 1.0

Is there another file to edit other than descr_strat?
    Last edited by Icedie El Guaraní; August 05, 2009 at 07:43 PM.
    Contribuitor IBIICB-WOTN-Modeler-Scripter

Blog Entries

One turn per year is a bummer: characters only age at the end of the winter turn.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantus View Post
    One turn per year is a bummer: characters only age at the end of the winter turn.
    Seriously? my mod is going to suffer from this, i have to do some major changes if that is the case, aging it has become a very important aspect of VLL, i will reconsider 620ad 2 turns per year, but if the mod will end at 1050, than that is about 800 turns, no one will play it.

@GED
    any solution to my problem?
    Contribuitor IBIICB-WOTN-Modeler-Scripter

Blog Entries

People will play a game until it attracts them. If you own half the world in 100 turns nobody will play much further.
    It is not the scripted length as in the top of the descr_strat, it is the general playability that keeps people hooked.

You have 430 turns already. That is pretty long to play, even on hard\hard. But then that should be immaterial. You could have 400 turns in 33 years if you want and still have all the fun.

I was wondering, would it be possible to make one turn be one week? Then one month would take four turns and one year would take 48 turns.

Could this be done? If so, how?

EDIT: I don't want to change the seasons. I just want the characters to age accordingly with the one week per turn timescale.
    Last edited by peanut8; September 06, 2009 at 05:41 AM.

Blog Entries

Same principle, just a lot of text\coding. you can have one DAY per turn if you choose (and are mad enough to want to create the code).

Alright, so from what i figure, you have to divide 1 by the number of turns that you want in a year. So for 48 turns per year i get 208.3, more or less.
    I suppose it would be too easy if all i had to do was paste 208.3 into timescale, huh?

I guess the insanely complicated thing would be that i had to assign every single week to a season, but i don't want to change the seasons.

The only reason i want this change is for the Westeros Total War mod, and in Westeros the seasons are identical for years. So, not caring about the changing seasons at all, could i just modify it so that the characters age along with the one week per turn change?
    Last edited by peanut8; September 06, 2009 at 05:40 AM.