Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: 12 turns per year with proper aging

Default Re: 12 turns per year with proper aging

Hello. If you are using the Stainless Steel, you must first delete the script that has included this mod of 1 turn per year.

Wonderful mod! +Rep
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

I just installed the 4 turn per year part and now between turn 48 and 68 I get a recurring "Medieval 2 has encountered an error and will now close" has anyone else had this issue or did I do something wrong?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

You may have done something wrong, please describe how you were proceeding to implement the script.

Turek's Avatar Foederatus

Hi guys. I'm looking to create a 4 years per turn submod for Stainless Steel using the framework GrnEyedDVl had generously provided us here. Could you please help me with the things I should take into consideration? I'm not a seasoned programmer or anything (a notepad barbarian if you will) but I'm a fairly persistent and throughout with editing and checking text files and have tweaked around with different mods for different games during the years. I think I just might be able to deal with this kind of minor mod.

Since SS uses a modified map, so I guess I'm going to start with the "randomized winter" version (without the traits) so I don't have to edit the region ID numbers yet.

Here's what I've gathered so far..

• Edit the following files using GRnEyedDVL's instructions;

..\SS6.3\data\campaign\early\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt
    ..\SS6.3\data\campaign\late\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt
    ..\SS6.3\data\text\historic_events.txt

• Miguel_80 wrote here that I should delete an entry that states that 1 turn = 1 year.. Does this mean just the entry in descr_strat.txt or is this in another file?
    • In addition, from reading the Lord Baal's "12 turns per year mod" thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...s-per-year-mod there are numerous other things to take into consideration (sadly the download link is not available so I could gather information from the files directly).
    • -I take that changing the turns/year ratio also messes with BGR and RR/RC mods that are included in SS, right?

I'm gonna start pretty humbly here so my first concern is not top notch realism. However, it would be nice to not completely break the game either, and at least be able to modify important things like movement, income, recruitment, army supply, campaign events, missions and character traits.

Blog Entries

Miguel must be referring to the entry at the top of the descr_strat file or a possible season script that already exists in SS. The first is fairly clear and from what I gather you took care of that. For the latter check the campaign_script file for the keyword 'season'.
    There is the possibility that you may have scripts that simulate seasons by counting turns - those will be affected, but then they are fairly rare. Reality sub mods usually test for the season and those will not be affected.

Exactly, the Stainless Steel mod contains a script of 1 turn per year.

Turek's Avatar Foederatus

Ok thanks guys I thought it could have been the entry in descr_strat.txt, just wanted to check. Any other tips you have in mind that could be useful?

My current plan is just to ctrl+f every file in the ..\SS6.3\data for keywords "turn" "year" and "season", but I guess there might be easier ways too.

Wow spent 3 hours looking for a solution and it was hidden inside these pages. Someone needs to sticky Gigantus' post about his Barebones Geo mod as it is a hard requirement for this to work properly without it the seasons will turn every turn instead of the appropriate cycles leading to 12 turns per year but with aging people every turn.

If anyone is still having problems using this mod. You need to download Gigantus' mod called Bare - Geomod in order to get this 12 years per turn with proper aging mod/script to work.

Blog Entries

Always appreciate some free advertising , here is the link: Creating a World - Bare Geomod

Hey GRnEyedDVL,

Thank you so much for the script! With some advice I found on this thread, I merged your script inside the custom campaign_script.txt from the Ultimate AI Mod. Seasons, time, turns, ageing, and everything else works great. With 12 turns per year, and a 500 year setting in the descr_strat.txt, the Imperial Campaign in my game is 6,000 turns long (with the benefits of a much better AI system).

Thanks again, just joined the forums!

Im having an issue where my Generals and family members are ageing every 2 turns without the year changing. Im still in 1080 yet my king has aged by 3 years. Please help me.

Blog Entries

Did you change the turn entry in descr-strat?

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    I have reworked my original 12 Turns per Year script into several variations for both M2TW and for Kingdoms. Included are 24 variations of the original script, broken into 4, 6, and 12 turns per year.

12 Turns per Year:
    start_date has to be winter
    timescale has to be 0.0835

[...]

6 Turns per Year
    start_date has to be winter
    timescale has to be 0.167
    Can anyone explain why the start date has to be winter? In my 12 TPY script I've adjusted the script to start in summer and set start_date so summer as well and that seems to work just fine? Also, in an earlier descr_strat version I had set timescale to 0.083333333333 and everything seemed to work just fine? Am I kidding myself or were my own alterations gong to bite my in the *** later on one way or another? Or does the start_date have to be winter simply because this script has the year starting in winter, i.e. the start_date season in descr_strat.txt has to match the first season of the script?
    Last edited by Razor; December 28, 2018 at 11:21 AM.

Blog Entries

The script works on the assumption that the season is winter when the game starts. You might get away with summer but may have a first year that doesn't work as announced, eg the aging might either skip or add a year.

The long number should be fine - eventually there will be a turn skip, regardless which format you use, but it's negligible.

So, how do you make a 12 tpy, or 4 tpy mod for SS? There are a lot of scripts inside the file I have to replace, do I copy the contents of the .txt?

Blog Entries

SS has a season script, it's called "AGEING SCRIPT".

You will need to adapt it to whatever script you want to use.

Hi
    Sory for me english :-)
    I try put 4 turn per year script in Stainless Steel 6.4 mod.
    What i did?
    1. I removed ageing script from all fours files "campaign_script" and copy there this:
    (4 turn base script, file from Kingdoms, i have mtw2 definitive steam edition)
    Code:
    script

;show the whole map
        restrict_strat_radar false

;    1. 12 Turns per year.
    declare_counter quarter
    set_counter quarter 1 ;set to January

monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal ; set the season for each quarter
        if I_CompareCounter quarter == 1 ;Jan, Feb, March
            console_command season winter
        end_if

if I_CompareCounter quarter == 2 ;April, May, June
            console_command season summer
        end_if

if I_CompareCounter quarter == 3 ;July, Aug, Sept
        end_if

if I_CompareCounter quarter == 4 ;Oct, Nov, Dec
        end_if

inc_counter quarter 1 ;advance the quarter
        if I_CompareCounter quarter == 5 ;start a new year
            set_counter quarter 1
        end_if
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnEnd FactionType slave
        and I_CompareCounter quarter > 1
    end_monitor

wait_monitors

end_script
    2. I changed all four files "descr_strat" for this:
    Code:
    start_date    1100 winterend_date    1560 winter
    timescale    0.25
    3. I started a new campaign and at the beginning everything works, but after a few or more turns the game crashes with an error, there is nothing in the logs.Error pops up during the computer's turn, loading save does not help, it ends my campaigns.

I tried to install everything from the beginning (SS, mtw2), but I still have the same error.

Any tips?

Blog Entries

It is very likely that there were counters or other references embedded in SS's season script.

You may have more luck modifying\adapting SS's season script instead of replacing it.

If you set the log to trace (setting in the mod's CFG file, open with Notepad) then the last lines might give an idea what was happening at the time of the crash.

Hallo Gigantus,
    I already set up all the script of 6 turns per year, however, I heard that I need to adapt the figures in "Ageing Script", I fought:
    ";=================== AGEING SCRIPT ======================declare_counter season
    declare_counter turn
    set_counter turn 0

monitor_event FactionTurnEnd FactionType slave
    set_counter turn 1
    end_monitor

monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart I_CompareCounter turn = 1

inc_counter season 1
    if I_CompareCounter season = 1
    end_if

if I_CompareCounter season = 2
    set_counter season 0
    end_if

set_counter turn 0

end_monitor"

But I don't know how to adjust it in the right way in order to be suitable with my 6 turns per year?!
    Can you help me plz?