Thread: Sometimes Strange Battle AI

Dogma75's Avatar Civis

Default Sometimes Strange Battle AI

In three battles now I saw the AI behave herself very strangely.

First of all was in a battle with Armenia against the Turks. I had about 2000 men and the AI came with 3 armies on the battlefield. Each of them about 2000 to 2200 men.
    I annhilated the first army and lost more then 1 third of my army. (thx to their horsed archers...) And then the other two armies didn't advance. They could have broke me in a few mins but they didn't move a quarter...I won the battle (since I was the defender) after the clock run down.

I had a similar battle with the Scotts against the English and now another one with Byzantine againt venice...

aduellist's Avatar Push the button Max!

Default Re: Sometimes Strange Battle AI

This is a known issue and does not occur with just this mod. Large AI armies entering at a corner of the battle map (or other restricted terrain) will often get stuck as they try to fit their default formation into a space too small for it. If you scroll over and watch, you'll probably see them constantly adjusting formation.

Sometimes if you throw out a cavalry detachment toward them, they'll unstick and come at you. Sometimes you have to reposition your entire army on order to get them moving.
    Under the patronage of TheFirstONeill
    Proud team member of
    THERA, A New Beginning

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken

"Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they first of all strike down." Frederick Douglass

Dogma75's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by aduellist View Post
    This is a known issue and does not occur with just this mod. Large AI armies entering at a corner of the battle map (or other restricted terrain) will often get stuck as they try to fit their default formation into a space too small for it. If you scroll over and watch, you'll probably see them constantly adjusting formation.

Sometimes if you throw out a cavalry detachment toward them, they'll unstick and come at you. Sometimes you have to reposition your entire army on order to get them moving.
    yeah i saw that too. But I don't have intentions to sacrifice my whole army (when it's 3 or 4 against 1) to get them moving...
    and a tripple as large force as mine will slaughter even the best and experienced veterans... It takes so long to get them that experienced...

If their strength is in horse-archers or archers in general then it is best to meet them as they are entering the battlefield. You can hit then hard and fast before they have time to organise and getting their archers to rout will panic the others too.

aduellist's Avatar Push the button Max!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogma75 View Post
    yeah i saw that too. But I don't have intentions to sacrifice my whole army (when it's 3 or 4 against 1) to get them moving...
    and a tripple as large force as mine will slaughter even the best and experienced veterans... It takes so long to get them that experienced...
    I'm not talking about sacrificing your army, just repositioning it. Sometimes moving a relatively small distance to either side will be enough to cause the stuck AI army to reorient its axis of advance enough to start moving. Once that happens you usually have plenty of time to reoccupy your original defensive position.

I agree that it's frustrating when the AI army gets stuck, but as I play with no battle time limit there's no other option short of exiting and losing the battle.
    Under the patronage of TheFirstONeill
    Proud team member of
    THERA, A New Beginning

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken

"Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they first of all strike down." Frederick Douglass