Thread: Largely off Topic - Bernard Cornwell

Dogma75's Avatar Civis

Default Largely off Topic - Bernard Cornwell

I know that that maybe off topic but I have to recommend his books. In the weeks before I bought the kingdoms add-on.

I bought and read several books from Bernard Cornwell.

I read this book series:

The Warlord Chronicles

about Arthur and his comrades and the fight between the saxons and the brythons and the clash of the pagan religion and the christianity. All from the sight of a saxon warrior named Derfel. Very good story that differs largely from "King Arthur's Round Table" legend.

The Grails Quest

Is suited in the time of the 100 years war between the english and the french. Its main character is Thomas an english longbow man. Very good and it inspired me to play the english faction in MTW2 /PDER again.

The Saxon Stories

the story plays in the time of Alfred the great and the wars between the danes and the saxons. It's also very good.

Cornwell also will finish a new book this summer called Azincourt. I think the name says all.

If you will read some of his books then you can expect blood and gore . And very good describtions from shieldwalls fighting.

cya folks

Default Re: Largely off Topic - Bernard Cornwell

I've read them all. He is a very good authur when it comes to fighting. Don't forget his Sharpe series either - something like 15 books all together.
    This seems to be quite a racist comment. The Guals did a lot more than "wonder around pillaging";
    It's not as if they were a bunch of dirty, stinking, fatherless Huns.

Bernard Cornwell 's Sharpe novels are well researched. However, as a total Napoleonic nerd I did write to him on a few points.
    For example in his book on Waterloo he has a hussar regiment breaking a Brunswick half formed square at Quatre Bras. In fact it was a chevau-leger regiment. Lady Butler 's painting of the incident shows hussars which has prolonged this mistake. His description of the Fuentes de Onoro battle is excellent.
    Last edited by Jihada; August 11, 2008 at 07:56 PM.

I've read them all, and a few of the Sharpe books. Great author, great characters, and great historical fiction. Very accurate representations of not only the stories, but also the culture and lifestyles of the people of the times they take place in.
    ~Loyalty always, but honor first.~

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Did any of his books ever made into movies/mini-series ?

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Did any of his books ever made into movies/mini-series ?
    The Sharp series was made into a TV miniseries by the BBC, with Sean Bean as Sharp (his first big role, i believe). Note that the first three of the series are really low budget affairs, but they seemed to have gotten more money after that. Like a lot of low-budget BBC shows, they have to rely on characters and acting, so I did find them pretty enjoyable - and quite different than Hollywood type productions in which acting and dialog are afterthoughts to fill time between special effects.
    This seems to be quite a racist comment. The Guals did a lot more than "wonder around pillaging";
    It's not as if they were a bunch of dirty, stinking, fatherless Huns.

Indefinitely Banned

Sharpe!! =]

Can't wait for Empire: Total War now - definatley going to make 95th Riffles unit =D

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by A_B View Post
    The Sharp series was made into a TV miniseries by the BBC, with Sean Bean as Sharp (his first big role, i believe). Note that the first three of the series are really low budget affairs, but they seemed to have gotten more money after that. Like a lot of low-budget BBC shows, they have to rely on characters and acting, so I did find them pretty enjoyable - and quite different than Hollywood type productions in which acting and dialog are afterthoughts to fill time between special effects.
    Thanks.. I'll look .. eeerr torrent that..

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

anyway......ive read alot of his books, there great