Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: expanded factions mod

DR. Hobo. PHD.'s Avatar Campidoctor

Default expanded factions mod

this is a project ive started on, Expanded factions mod.
    my plan is to have three diffrent mini mods, each with a new faction replacing a regular EB faction.
    for instance, id like the first one to be to change Saba into the Massylians, or more commonly known as the numidians. the reason why is cause its the least work id have to do compared to the other two id like to do( in the future, id like to have Casse replaced with the Illyrians, and Bactria replaced by Pergamum)
    Numidian faction symbol orignally made for EB. I cant remember whom made it, but i want to say dux corvanus did, id like to know though:

i hope to reskin a couple of units and maybe add some in, but if anyone is interested in helping me heres how:
    someone who knows EB code better then the back of thier hand.
    a historian or two who knows about Massylia.
    and someone who can help with traits.

i will continually update this page to show my progress, and maybe new units as well, but keep in mind it might take awhile since im no expert in this:beam:

thoughts and/or questions welcome

some screenies of my progress:

[/QUOTE]

Default Re: expanded factions mod

Seriously though, looking awesome

no joke good start hope you go forth young one and dominate

Looks good.

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

Will Massylian get reform too? influenced by the Romans.

Ummmmmm...

Why would they get reforms? Numidia never developed Roman-influenced fighting...

Are you talking about the "Numidian Legionary" unit from RTW? Cause that unit is BULL****!

Game of the Fates
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Romans trained a few numidian units, to call them legionaries would be quite a stretch though...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

The Numidian King Syphax asked the Romans to help train his soldiers. They sent a centurian named Quintus Statorius who trained the Numidian infantry...

I have a suggestion which shouldn't be too hard, replace Koinon Hellenon with a Syracuse faction, it would certainly spice up the Punic wars, would be very fun to play Syracuse and try to play off Carthage and Rome against each other, and it wouldn't be too hard to mod at all, since they both would use mostly the same units (the only replacement i can think of is the generals unit since its Spartans for the Koinon Hellenon, and maybe you could add a shield texture to a hoplite unit and make it into Syracuse hoplites). Also, the same could be done for the the Bosphoran kingdom, since they were also mainly Greek if i recall.
    Last edited by Javierfv1212; July 09, 2008 at 07:06 AM.

there is already a Syracuse hoplite...

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Also the maps not large enough. In reality there were hundreds of cities and villages in Sicily yet the campaign map at the current seize could only possibly place 5 or 7 cities on sicily. At the most it be over crowded.
    ________
    Cat Exercise Wheel
    Last edited by MathiasOfAthens; May 11, 2011 at 01:21 AM.

True...*sigh*

Game of the Fates

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    Also the maps not large enough. In reality there were hundreds of cities and villages in Sicily yet the campaign map at the current seize could only possibly place 5 or 7 cities on sicily. At the most it be over crowded.
    What? I don't get.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Great Idea!

I would suggest, though, that the "Numidian" faction be that of the Masaesyles (capital Siga) of King Syphax rather than the smaller Massyli made famous by Masinissa.

Of course Masinissa ended up deposing Spyhax and making himself King of both "Numidian" kingdoms.

With both Cirta and Siga, the Kingdom of Masaesyles is larger and an easy historical fit on the existing EB map.

The ‘Numidians’ are those peoples of Libyco-Berber stock who inhabit North Africa; unlike those known as ‘Libyans’, the Numidians and Moors practise a nomadic form of pastoralism rather than a more settled form of agriculture. The Numidians are not a single nation, but are divided into many tribes such as the Maccoei, and Areacidae, and even several larger supra-tribal kingdoms, such as Masaesyli in the west and the Massyli in the east, adjacent to Carthage’s own territory. The Moorish tribes of the far west formed a single nation under King Baga. The Gaetulians lived to the south of the Numidians and Moors (Pliny, Nat. Hist., 5.17), and fought in an identical fashion (Livy, 23.18; Caes., B Afr 32, 56, 61); so too the Garamantes and Nasamones, other important Libyco-Berber tribes found in North Africa.

And there should be a Numidian reform!

From Duncan Head, Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars, 359 BC to 146 BC, A Wargames Research Group Publication, 1982

During the period of Carthaginian supremacy in North Africa, the Numidian kings were never able to come up with decent infantry, although they did succeed in some improvement under King Syphax. During the Second Punic War, King Syphax asked the Roman envoys to provide him with a centurion to train his Numidian infantry, saying his army was quite shapeless and haphazard, a mere casual mob. This centurion, Quintus Statorius, went to work: "Statorius found ample material from which to enrol infantry soldiers for Syphax; he organized them very much after the Roman pattern, gave them instruction in forming up, maneuvering, following the standards, and keeping formation, and accustomed them to various military duties, including fortifications, and all so successfully that the prince soon came to trust his infantry no less than his cavalry, and that when an engagement took place on open ground he defeated his Carthaginian foe."(Livy, 24.48)

These Numidian Infantry thereafter fought for Syphax against Carthage and their Massyli allies until they were finally defeated between 213-210 BC. Some vestige of the training of Statorius must have stuck, however, because the Numidian infantry are never again referred to as a “formless mass”. The Numidian allies of Rome and Carthage in the later part of the Second Punic War are recorded as fielding significant infantry forces. In fact, these formations do seem to echo the Roman maniples and although this can only be conjecture, the infantry fight in a mix of Roman and Numidian techniques as a sort of light infantry. Showing an ability to maintain unit cohesion and rally to standards like the Roman troops.

The Numidian Infantry are equipped with an oval thureos shield with spine and winged metal boss, two javelins, sword and helmet, which is of the typical Punic type with a thick rim. The Numidian Infantry fight as close-fighting troops, in a maniple-type formation, with standards. They would have statistics like Roman ‘Hastati’, but a weaker armour rating, given the lack of any armour on the torso.

H.

PS. And disable the Garamantes Infantry being available in Numidia - they should only be found at Garama!
    Last edited by HamilcarBarca; July 10, 2008 at 05:30 AM.

Was Numidia separated into those 2 kingdoms before the second Punic war?

Was Numidia separated into those 2 kingdoms before the second Punic war?
    Yes, 2 major supra-tribal kingdoms as per the map above (not including the kingdom of the Mauri, in modern Morocco, which would be a third).

H.

During the period of Carthaginian supremacy in North Africa, the Numidian kings were never able to come up with decent infantry, although they did succeed in some improvement under King Syphax. During the Second Punic War, King Syphax asked the Roman envoys to provide him with a centurion to train his Numidian infantry, saying his army was quite shapeless and haphazard, a mere casual mob. This centurion, Quintus Statorius, went to work: "Statorius found ample material from which to enrol infantry soldiers for Syphax; he organized them very much after the Roman pattern, gave them instruction in forming up, maneuvering, following the standards, and keeping formation, and accustomed them to various military duties, including fortifications, and all so successfully that the prince soon came to trust his infantry no less than his cavalry, and that when an engagement took place on open ground he defeated his Carthaginian foe."(Livy, 24.48)

These Numidian Infantry thereafter fought for Syphax against Carthage and their Massyli allies until they were finally defeated between 213-210 BC. Some vestige of the training of Statorius must have stuck, however, because the Numidian infantry are never again referred to as a “formless mass”. The Numidian allies of Rome and Carthage in the later part of the Second Punic War are recorded as fielding significant infantry forces. In fact, these formations do seem to echo the Roman maniples and although this can only be conjecture, the infantry fight in a mix of Roman and Numidian techniques as a sort of light infantry. Showing an ability to maintain unit cohesion and rally to standards like the Roman troops.

The Numidian Infantry are equipped with an oval thureos shield with spine and winged metal boss, two javelins, sword and helmet, which is of the typical Punic type with a thick rim. The Numidian Infantry fight as close-fighting troops, in a maniple-type formation, with standards. They would have statistics like Roman ‘Hastati’, but a weaker armour rating, given the lack of any armour on the torso.

H.

PS. And disable the Garamantes Infantry being available in Numidia - they should only be found at Garama!
    Wow! There really should be a reform!

Game of the Fates

Only thing I'd say, better off using Epeiros for Pergamon. Baktria are especially relevant throughout much of this period, Epeiros became a non-entity after Pyrrhus' death in 270BC. Indeed if the game had started two years later, Epeiros wouldn't even be a faction. Plus with KH, Makedonia and the Getai in the region (and you're adding Illyria), there's plenty going on there so they won't be missed.

But taking out Baktria means little competition for Pahlava or Saka, nor indeed the Seleukids.

I agree with QS.

replace Epiros; they deserve to be a faction during 280-270 BC; otherwise, they are finished.

removing them would have the advantage of encouraging historic expansion by an AI Rome!

H.

great work......and seconding HamilcarBarca....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast