Thread: The Eagle Standard Vol. VI Issue IX

Default The Eagle Standard Vol. VI Issue IX

Yay! We made it another Total War filled episode of the Eagle Standard. Sit back, grab a non-alcoholic beverage and read through the sights and text of your community.

Three forum reports are on offer, the M2TW AAR brought to you by Tweety, RTW Eras put together by Calvin and the ETW forum pasted together by this humble scribe. Our first featured article comes from Prince_of_Macedon who has once again been kind enough to pass on one of his AARs. There’s an announcement from MCM regarding the Consilium Belli’s new initiative. This requires the community to succeed so any of you budding modders out there or experiences old hands will want to give it a once over. New contributor blaster fodder has contrived to get a lightening fast interview with Ataegina about the Ferrum Aeternum mod for M2TW Kingdoms. Finally, as always the month’s PotW winners are located below for your delight.

As always a big thank you to the ES staff who despite their busy lives managed to take time away from said busy lives to make this issue happen. Thank you [user]Prince_of_Macedon [/user] and [user]Gaius Baltar[/user] for your contributions.

If anyone happens to spot anything worthy of ES attention (cool mods, fancy looking websites related to the TW serious, fun articles buried in the forums here, or amazing card tricks) then by all means give us a shout. Don't forget to drop [user=sapi]sapi[/user] or[user=Empress Meg] myself [/user]a PM if you're able to contribute work to the ES, even on an irregular basis; we're always in need of more reporters

Happy reading!
    Meg, Assistant editor ES
    On behalf of Sapi, Editor ES

Table of Contents
    Forum Reports

Feature Articles

PotW

Rome Total War: Eras Forum Report
    Click to view content: 

A month gone already - time surely does fly. I write this much to the dismay of my visiting fiance, so I apologise dear readers if it is too brief for some tastes

So, we start off with the Rome: Total War General Discussion sub forum as usual. There have been several interesting topics floating around which I've been keeping up with. The long debate about incendiary pigs and their historical accuracy has once again flared up in the Anyone else get the impression that there was a back story to the Screeching Women unit? thread. My favourite comment from the thread relating to the original post:
    probably just laughing with German women
    *kiss me or i'll crush you*

We have Valerius Tiberius to thank for that little gem.

Another fascinating topic has been the Do you add your own soundtrack? thread. To answer the question, yes I do, a wondrous mix of music from soundtracks like Gladiator, Braveheart, Troy etc etc. Look for some recommendations in that thread for creating your own.

So I was feeling brave and popped into the Medieval/Shogun: Total War General Discussion subforum to see what I would find. It is mostly dead now - a pity since both were revolutionary and still highly playable games. However, I did notice some gravedigging had gone on, and found the most random spam ever. Click here if you dare.

Moving on to the Rome: Total War Hosted Modifications subforum now. The mods and their communities are continuing to go strong, with activity as usual high. This issue I'd like to draw attention to a couple of very promising looking mods which are yet to be released. No, not Hegemonia City States or Ran No Jidai. Though I await both with frenzied anticipation, there are other highly anticipated mods moving ever closer to release. First off is European Wars.

The very talented King Louise Assurbanipal has gathered a team to create a mod to whet our appetites before Empires is released. Judging from the previews (of which there are many) and the magnificent screenshots from the beta like the one above, it is truly going to be a remarkable mod that pushes the RTW engine to its limits.

The second mod I want to draw peoples attention to is the Battles of Kingdoms. Although there are two very good mods already made for RTW (Rome: Medieval and Chivalry: Total War if you're interested), there is one particular thing that has made me extremely excited about this new one. Rather than try and describe it, I think it's best to just show you.

Forgetting the beautiful graphics for a moment, just look at those seamless new animations. And those are just two examples from a team that is bringing us a truly marvelous mod. You can find the thread which has them and more previewed here.

As always, I recommend you to try out as many mods as you can, since they all bring a different feel to the game and a different aspect. Europa Barbarorum and Rome: Total Realism for their incredible dedication to historical accuracy, SPQR and Roma Surrectum for the epic, huge battles, Arthurian Total War and Fourth Age Total War for a massive challenge and a very different sort of game. There are many others out there, each with a friendly and dedicated community. Get out there and try them!

Until next time my friends!

Medieval 2 AAR Forum Report
    Click to view content: 

So here we are again, looking over a fine past month of AARs, there has been exciting news and decisions made in our domain of the after-action report, but first up I’ll give you my top 2 AARs this month.
    1. Danish Dynasty

LINK
    by Theodosius_Rex

Simply fantastically written, quality style and quality writing. Lenghtly stuff, but that’s my personal preference and I’m the bloke choosing this (and I can guarantee everyone else will love it as well) This may only be two updates long, but it’s still absolutely brilliant. Here is the rules laid out by Theodosius himself-
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    So after reading Kaiserjagen's very insightful and exciting "Mighty Migrating Templars", I have decided myself that I would embark on my own AAR for all to read.

I was drawn to starting a Templar campaign myself, but felt that i would be silly to have two of the same AAR's going on at the same time (although mine would not be migrating).

After "hmm'ing" and "haaaa'ing" for a while between Denmark and Crown of Aragon (of which I played multiple custom battles to see how the play style would vary and which I preferred), I sided with Denmark. I am not very crazy on their starting position, but expansion is possible in every way and should lead to some interesting conflicts.

I have previously played RTW (more specifically RTR) and have just started playing MTW:2.

Specs of AAR campaign:

Difficulty: Hard/Hard - Long campaign

Mod: Stainless Steel 4.1 (I've tried every possible solution [many hours on forums trying out ANYTHING] with the Steam launcher - so I ended up wasting money buying the dual package from Steam, so I'm using the highest MTW version of SS). Changed year ratio to 1.50/turn

Cheats: toggle_fow will be used on occasion for illustrative purposes

Style: Hold all alliances as long as possible and will only purpose ceasefires and traderights with Islamic faction.

I will try not to reload at all as well. :

I'm going to play 20-30 turns and then put together my first few posts with images included.

Hope you all enjoy when I've worked up the story and if it is well recieved then I will continue posts.

And an excerpt from the AAR itself, and a sample of his brilliant writing.
    1081 AD - Arhus Council Chambers

"You seek to challenge one of the most dominant powers in the know world?!" Spat the scarred middle-aged man. Axl Knud failed to move even the slightest; attempting to indicate how very serious he was and how serious he considered this future campaign.
    This only angered the man further, "Sire, you must understand the repercussions that this might have on our relationship with the Holy Germans - our kingdom is still in its infancy all things considered."

Knud chose his next words carefully. Shall I reveal my whole plan to the council and risk mutiny? Or shall I conceal as much as I can without seeming too suspicious. "Well gentlemen," Axl began as he finally rose and strode over, map in hand, "I believe that the perfect time has presented itself and to not proceed would be the premature death of what could be a great Empire - would you not agree Gabriel?"

The scarred man sat silent.

A brilliant AAR and one I advise anyone to read!

2. An Empire Reforged

LINK
    by Vor

The longest AAR still in action on the forum, and probably also the most popular, this Venetian AAR is a story of intrigue, war and Venice! Full of top quality pictures and stuff. Fantastical written, this is well worth a mention, and again is required reading for an prospective AARists! (AARists, is that the right word? AARers? AARons? AARmeisters? )
    Again, here is the AARers very own synopsis-
    Hello, and welcome to my Venice AAR. This is the 2nd AAR I've done, and while the first was well received, it ended up being lost due to computer troubles.

There wont be as much buildup to the main campaign this time, but I will try and keep plenty of character development and other story lines going on during the AAR.

I'm not a fan of using pictures of everything that happens. But there will be plenty of them when they are needed.

Below are the rules of my campaign:

Difficulty: H/H

Version: Stainless Steel 6.0 - Late Era Campaign

Changes made: Increased movement ranges for all units, player and AI alike. I find it daft when it takes two years to cross England. Decreased rebel spawn rate, increase pirate spawn rate.

Cheats: Toggle_fow will be the only cheat used

Other Info: Alliances will be respected and upheld wherever possible, alliances with historic enemies will be avoided, unless it adds to the story in a way I can't ignore. Historic alliances wont be kept just for the sake of history however.

And to be honest, the only preview I need to show you to make you read is my favourite screenshot from all 7 pages.

Ouch

Now, recently I’ve been inactive, so whip me for that so I’ve missed most of the quite frankly amazing rejuvenation of the AAR forums as people finish their exams and return to activity. We had a dry spell during all that stuff but now we have a veritable flood of AARs, and one I fully expect to continue into summer! Well done all you AARers and don’t give up, there’s always someone reading even if they aren’t commenting!
    However, one thing I have dropped in to see is the vote on the decision relating to an AAR form and the much awaited AAR of the Month was successful…
    And it was! Please drop in HERE to read the vote, and HERE to read the ongoing discussion on the proposal.
    Thanks to Gaius Baltar for creating the proposal in the SYMPOSIVM and the Fuzz and Power Wizard for their kind help.
    Signing off, Tweety. Enjoy reading!

Empire: Total War Forum Report
    Click to view content: 

Hello all and welcome to another romp in the bloody fields of the ETW forum. I thought I’d be slightly different this time around and take a closer look at some of the mod proposals. For those of you who think I’m a fool for taking the time to investigate things that haven’t even been made yet please scroll down a bit and you’ll find some of the more outstanding threads in the general ETW forum outlined for you.

Empire Modifications To-Be

Where does one begin? I’m a very specific mod sort of girl; I know what I want in my modular improvements to a pre-existing game and I go looking for it. Lacking an exact match I take what I can get. Seeing as how I have no idea what Empire Total War has to offer and therefore what it lacks I’ll just list some of the cooler sounding or well developed ideas for possible modifications. Standard Warning: These are more theme-based mods rather then any technical fixes (silly me!) and aren’t in any way completed yet so don’t get mad at me if you cannot download The High Seas mod for Empire Total War.

Rise of the Mughals
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=159698

Copperknickers’ mod about the mighty Mughal dynasty. If you have no idea what that pertains to, never fear as the thread starter/mod idea generator has amassed a large amount of information on the possible factions-to-be in the mod. This thread is often at the top of the page when I go in to check out new threads so it is worth a quick trip in to see what all the fuss is about.

Victorian Total War
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=156527

So far there’s a good deal of interest in this one and from the few times I’ve spoken with one of the mod teamsters they are certainly not lacking in enthusiasm to get cracking once Empire goes gold. The faction listing is quite large ranging from the standard Empires of Europe to the Texicans of America and the native Indians. For those of you who like last stands, looks like the Boer War participants will not be left out.

This modification is scattered about in a few threads due to its appeal. Infact, not only are the Vic team looking for members to busy themselves with research but they are also actively looking for folks to help work on the design team.

Nations at War
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=159696

If you were to ask me anything about modern warfare I’d have very little to comment on other then to perhaps comparatively discuss "now" and "then". However, I was blown away when I clicked on the above link. I don’t want to say anything more, just look and enjoy. Let the renders speak for themselves and let us hope that post-modern wars can be waged, finally, on this edition of the Total War series.

I’ll plug not only the mod-to-be but also -C1a5s1c’s website. The NaW forum is online and the site is looking mighty nice if still under “heavy construction”.

The Balkan Revolution
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=159915

If the above mods in progress are too grand in scale and you prefer a more intimate theatre for military operations, why not stick to what you know? From the sound of the faction list and the name itself, The Balkan Revolution promotes the dominate Mediterranean focus of the past few TW games. Orko, the thread starter and mod creator states that “the map will span from The Crimean Paenisulla [sic] to Milan, and from just south of Crete to Vienna” and the time frame will span from 1821 to 1878 to coincide with historic events.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=164910

ThePassenger has proposed a mod for ETW that takes place in many places including “the american civil war, austro-prusssian war, franco-prussian war, and the russo-turkish war [sic]” and already created a larger faction roster. ETW is a great base to build from and hopefully the Passenger will be able to gather a team together to help bring this era to life. Show your support of this mod by grabbing one of the siggies at the bottom of the premier post.

General Discussion Notables

FanArt Fun
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=154501

Still popular and filled with creative goodies from the minds’ of the TWC community folks, this thread contains the fancy line drawing to the, er, creative line drawing. Here are two of the more recent additions.

By Lord Hokomoko (Glad all of that education is working out for you hun ))

By Carl von döbeln

Good Ground, Bad Ground
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=174194

Lias_solano brings to mind the lamentable task of having to fight enemies on large pointed hills with mountain goats and hopes that it will be remedied in the upcoming TW game. While it seems to be gaining popularity, it also receives few responses other then “good idea” and the random story about how awful fighting on a mountainside. All the same, if this thread contains such a grand idea, why don’t people expand on it? Or! Is it so great and idea that it is impossible to make it better? Hmmmm….

Making the Most of Your Army
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=173267

So I’m pretty sure that I lost the plot of this thread “ the ability to reform your entire army into a better fighting force as compared to the enemy” and it appears that most of the posters have as well. What started out as a call to bring about larger technological reforms has slumped into the normal army composition brawl. Get this one back on track or add your own preferred army of doom to the list.

The Little War That Could
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=173605

The same person who started the aforementioned thread also heads up the next one about the so called ungentlemanly little war. Guerrilla warfare was a large part of this time period especially during the Napoleonic Wars when the common peasants stalked about in their homelands cutting throats and purses whenever possible to confound the enemy. Ray243 certainly has something worth chatting about for its innovative concept; it is something new both to CA’s games and this time period.

More Puuurty Pictures
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=173681

Yes another screenie ladies and gents. Compare, tear, moan, drool and so forth. I’d really like to see someone take up the task of compiling all of these Empire screenies into one thread to be stickied for all to see. It’ll make searching for images much easier. (Yes I’m saying this for selfish reasons as well as for the greater good ).

An Online Battle with the Prince of Macedon
    Click to view content: 

Online Battle Report by Prince of Macedon using vanilla M2TW.
    ONLINE BATTLE #5: ENGLAND VS THE TURKS
    So, I bought Medieval II on May 21, 2008, but due to various bugs or whatnot, I've only managed to log-on to Gamespy (GS) on 2 out of 20 days. Not a good thing for an MP player trying to learn this game. Anyway, I won my very first online battle using Spain, but then lost the following 3 battles (also using Spain).

THE OPPOSING ARMIES
    For my next game, I wanted to give England a whirl. My opponent, LastSamuraii17, chose the Turks. Now, unlike in Rome: Total War, I have little experience with this game. That said, the best way to approach any battle was to have some kind of plan. And my plan was simple: shoot as many bad guys as I could with my longbows, and hope the remaining Turks could be mopped up by my Knights.

Here's how our armies matched up...

Prince_of_Macedon (England)
    - 4 Dismounted English Knights (plus the general)
    - 2 English Knights
    - 6 Longbowmen

LastSamuraii17 (Turks)
    - 1 Bodyguard (early) (plus the general)
    - 2 Sipahis
    - 2 Janissary Archers
    - 5 Dismounted Sipahi Lancers
    - 2 Naffatun
    - 2 Ottoman Infantry
    - 2 Town Militia

DEPLOYMENT AND BATTLE
    I chose Lombardy as the battlefield, but this new map surprised me with its abundance of trees. In any case, I deployed my army in the area of the map where there was the least amount of forestation. I wanted my opponent to see my army, and goad him into attacking it. For this purpose, I kept my foot soldiers in plain view, but my mounted Knights were tucked in behind some trees near far to my right. My Longbows solidified the rear and flanks. Rows of stakes were planted in the ground to prevent a direct cavalry assault on these elite troops.

LastSamuraii17, on the other hand, concealed his entire army save for a squadron of mounted Bodyguards (led by the Turkish general himself). With that many troops hidden, it seemed like my opponent was going to play ultra-defensively. After many seconds of waiting for LastSamuraii17 to move, I decided that my enemy was not willing to advance against me. So if the Turks would not come to me, then I would go to them. The beauty of archers is that I wouldn't have to travel very far to get them into action...

First I moved the dismounted portion of my English Knights forward.

(Bringing the fight to the Turks)

I kept my cavalry hidden because I wanted their first appearance to come as a complete shock to the Turks. Shocking an enemy at the right moment can sometimes trick an opponent into thinking they've lost (or at least stun the enemy momentarily). Deception wasn't part of my original plan, but the layout of the map gave me this option. I won't rely on trickery to win, but I certainly won't deny its employment either.

Forward went my English knights who fought on foot. My movement inspired the Turks to come out of hiding. The first enemy units to make themselves known were the Dismounted Sipahi Lancers as well as a pair of Janissary Archer units. Using my English knights as an anchor, I then moved my Longbowmen forward from the safety of their stakes.

After re-positioning themselves, the Longbowmen targeted the Janissary Archers, and maintained a steady flow of fire.

(Fear the Longbowmen!)

Seeing that my flanks were protected purely by Longbowmen, LastSamuraii17 gambled on a swift cavalry charge from his Bodyguards along with 2 squadrons of Sipahis against my right-sided archers.

For him, the cavalry charge must've made perfect sense since his foot-archers didn't seem like a match for my Longbowmen. Furthermore, my flanks did appear (at least to him) to be unsupported by anything heavy. Taking my archers out of action would've made LastSamuraii1's life much easier. LastSamuraii1 calculated that the Longbows on my right flank presented the best target for his cavalry charge.

LastSamuraii1 sent his first squadron of Sipahis headlong into my Longbowmen. But the second squadron of Sipahis charged carelessly into my Dismounted English Knights who were hiding in front of the Longbows.

(LastSamuraii1's Sipahi squadron got a nasty surprise when they charged into a hidden unit of Dismounted English Knights)

Incidentally, my opponent didn't even see these knights until it was too late. Suffice it to say, my Dismounted English Knights got the better of those Sipahis.

When the Bodyguards joined in on the action, the situation now appeared to be going my opponent's way.

(Brace for impact, boys! Here come the sultans of swat!)

In fact, one entire group of Longbowmen already called it quits. But what my opponent didn't realize was that I had a hidden force of English Knights on horseback racing out of the forest to trap his cavalry force between my horses and my bowmen.

My horses galloped forward towards the enemy.

At the moment of impact, my English Knights on horseback obliterated the first squadron of Sipahis. The second group of Sipahis had already been dealt with by my kneeling English Knights. The Turkish Bodyguards, who were doing the most damage to my archers, decided to run for their dear lives.

("Pick on someone your own size!" My horsemen scare off the invading Bodyguards)

The Turks thrashed around through my Longbowmen in a frantic attempt at escape, but the feeling of being surrounded finally got the better of them. They routed from a disheartening situation.

Their escape route was a poor one as they dashed directly into the wooden stakes that I had planted during the Deployment Phase. A handful of these Turkish horsemen were lost during that calamity. The remaining Bodyguards disappeared somewhere behind my lines, but I wasn't too concerned about them anymore.

In the centre, my army was scattered around after chasing out the Turkish horses. Thus, I took a moment to re-assemble my troops. While I was re-organizing, my Longbows on the Left Flank were charged ferociously from behind by a surviving group of Sipahis and Bodyguards. But given the small numbers of the enemy's incursion force, I decided to let my Longbows on the Left protect themselves from this minor threat. Only a few (if any) Longbowmen fell as they ejected the Turkish cavalry force. This time, the enemy's Bodyguards retreated towards the safety of their own lines.

Now that I had a coherent line re-formed, I desired to move forward against the Turks. Since my opponent had lost his horse-archers, I knew my Longbows could win in a shootout with the Turkish foot archers.

(Throughout the battle, my Longbowmen maintained a steady rate-of-fire)

So I inched forward just close enough to give my Longbowmen something to shoot at. After several volleys of English missiles, my opponent revealed the bulk of his army (which had remained hidden up until this point).

LastSamuraii1 knew he couldn't wait around while I shot his men to pieces; so he advanced. Instantly, I started seeing all kinds of units coming out of hiding. There were Naffatuns, Town Militia, more Dismounted Sipahi Lancers and more Ottoman Infantry. If I would've charged forward at the beginning of the game, I would've been picked apart by these guerrillas with ease.

I decided to advance so that our armies would meet somewhere in the middle. But seeing my advance, LastSamuraii1 haulted his own movement, and retreated his army in a retro-manner (expecting to use the trees to his advantage). I let my Longbowmen continue firing while my shock elements advanced. I wanted to bring the fight to him. The English Knights demanded it.

Down the centre my English Knights moved forward with determination. On the extreme right flank, my mounted squadrons of English Knights trotted calmly through the forest. I was moving the army forward using the cavalry as a hook.

When the infantry clash began between my Dismounted English Knights and the Turkish foot soldiers, I was quite confident of a complete slaughter. But when I took a closer look at the centre, I realized that half of my Knights (on foot) were already routed from the battlefield. My men hadn't even swung their swords yet when they had routed!

(Holy hell! I'm getting attacked by Medieval grenades!)

Apparently, those Naffatuns were much more lethal than they looked. The Naffatuns were all armed with what appeared to be a Medieval version of the Molotov Cocktail. It was a shocking introduction into Medieval warfare.

Since the Turks had numbers on their sides, I wasn't feeling so confident anymore. My infantry force was reduced to half of their original size, and I hadn't even dented the Turkish infantry force yet. I needed to create an advantage somewhere on the battlefield.

My immediate answer were my horses. Since the majority of the Turkish forces were concentrated against my Dismounted English Knights in the centre, I felt that a direct cavalry charge against a couple of unsupported Janissary Archers on the Left would give me a temporary advantage.

So I ordered my cavalry to charge down the right flank. My horses raced out of the forest like a pack of desperate wolves. The Janissary Archers were right there for the taking. But before I could reach them with my horses, a group of Dismounted Sipahi Lancers jumped out of hiding. Instead of backing down from those bandits, I decided to aim my charge at them.

(These Turks weren't impressed by my cavalry charge)

I reasoned that a determined charge would knock these enemy troops out of the fight with the first blow. But I completely underestimated the resolution of those Dismounted Lancers. They stood their ground. What ensued was a grinding battle.

Losing horses against these fodder units was poor business. To make matters worse, another hidden group of Turkish units came out of hiding to support the Dismounted Lancers. These Town Militiamen swarmed towards my horses like mosquitoes. I couldn't afford to fight this kind of battle with my cavalry. So my first order of business was to get my horses out of there. My soldiers were dying in the centre, and they needed the support of the cavalry to win.

I was doing really poorly in this battle. The combination of Ottoman Infantry and Dismounted Sipahi Lancers proved quite capable in fighting off my two remaining groups of Dismounted English Knights who were badly outnumbered.

(An overhead view of the chaos)

I needed to alter the present course of battle with some maneuvering.

I withdrew what few horses I could from their current engagement, and raced them towards the centre behind the Turks who were focused on killing my few remaining infantry. I pulled my horses back, and then released them like a slingshot into the rear of the Turkish infantry.

(Another hopeful charge for my English Knights)

Unfortunately, this decisive move did not cause a mass rout. But it did give me the upper hand in the huge infantry fight in the centre. After a minute of banging swords, the individual fighting ability of my soldiers gained the upperhand against this horde. One by one, the Turkish infantry units began to melt away from the struggle.

(English Knights don't mind fighting on foot)

When the bulk of the Ottoman Infantry and Dismounted Sipahi Lancers had finally routed, I felt my grip on the battle tightening.

LastSamuraii1 was now reduced to a few Town Militia, Naffatuns, Ottoman Infantry and a handful of Janissary Archers (who were getting destroyed by my Longbows).

I ordered my Dismounted English Knights to clean-up these outmatched Turkish troops. Suffice it to say, the Town Militia and Naffatuns could not stand up in a toe-to-toe fight against the English Knights. My men took great pleasure in punishing the Naffatuns for their previous crimes against the Crown.

(Bashing heads with the English Knights)

LastSamuraii1's last hopes of survival rested in the hands of a lone unit of Ottoman Infantry who were currently pinned down by my Longbows. I commanded my Longbows to cease fire lest they hit my own men who were moving in for the kill. I wanted to grant my cavalry the honor of a glorious charge to end this battle.

Like a bull, I positioned my horses back in the distance, and when my arrows stopped flying, I sent the mounted English Knights slamming into the diminished ranks of Ottoman Infantry. The power of the lance immediately swept these enemy units from the fields of battle.

(One more charge. One more glorious charge!)

Glory to the Knights of England! And extra-rations for the archers!

Interview: Ferrum Aeternum for M2TW: Kingdoms
    Click to view content: 

Whilst browsing throughout the Total War Center, I came upon this wonderful mod, Ferrum Aeternum for Medieval 2: Total War Kingdoms. Looking through the pictures and reading some of the features, I just had to get an interview with the Team Leader, Ataegina.

Can you describe this mod for us in a paragraph or so?

- A worldwide clash of faiths and interests, from china to the canary islands, new orders, new hordes, new kings, new emperors a new world to explore, a new chance to become a new Alexander and drive your armies till' the end of the known world.

What gave you the idea for a mod like this? Was it your own personal taste, or did you find the community lacking a mod such as this?

Well actually this all began with a small project, the "Medieval Historical Events Project", based on a History Channel feature called "On This Day" which tells you what happened, on what day, so we've imported this into Medieval 2: Total War, like let's not just play but at same time learn and feel, but this was just a part. Another reason was to give something new, I've notice many people unhappy with this game being so Christian-European centric, even myself, so this mod has grown under the concept of multi-religion, multiculturalism, for example the slogan we use many times "the Medieval times wasn't just in Europe but in the world, at different rates..".

What is one thing about this mod that sets it apart from all of the other Medieval Mods?

Giving a short answer, the world isn't flat but round, so what we offer is a wide view of the world and a full view of the rising and falling of cultures and religions, by giving a new brand new campaign and game play system, a total historical recreation of events. we'll make you feel as if your real rulers and see if you would make better choices, and much more... this is a total conversion!

Some pictures of the Pyramids

What is your stance on historical accuracy? Is everything going to be as well researched as say Rome: Total Realism, or are you going to stray on occasion to make this game more enjoyable to the public?

We're not seeking a total accuracy, so we're making something enjoyable for both sides, a complex but realistic game full of new features, and a historical component based in characters and events which will tie the game play with the historical accuracy.

In your Update you showed a picture of the current map, but you said it wasn't final. Do you play on making major changes, or just a few tweaks?

Well since this still under development, we prefer warning you, because setbacks and problems can always happen last minute. The changes will not be taken on the shape of the map but on the content, this means a detailed map with quality.

Picture of the current map.

From the work you have completed, do you have a sort of 'favorite faction' or at least one your greatly anticipating? If so what?

I would say as of now the Rajputs, because they have a totally new roster and use a different kind of warfare, at the first look they seems weak but be aware, they'll fight to death! Also because they've got a new religion and access to new buildings and another features....

Pictures of some Rajput States things...

Some Units

Some Rajput States Banners

What got you into modding? When did you start?

Honestly, just fun. I've started make some modifications for known mods, I've previously made some personal modifications for Rome Total War.

From what I read, you are giving a substantial amount of work on this mod. Of all of your jobs, which one do you find the hardest? Whats your favorite?

Thats correct, the hardest I would say is coding/scripting and mapping. My favorite I would say modelling and testing

Once the mod is released, what are your plans? Do you think you'll keep working on it? Perhaps create a sequel? Move onto another mod?

Well the continuation will depend on the fans, but I can't deny the possibility of a possible prequel or a brand new mod.

And finally, the Beatles, or Elvis?

The Beatles, nobody messes with the yellow submarine!

Thanks too Aetegina for the interview!

First Preview
    Link to Forums

A Note from the Consilium Belli
    Click to view content: 

Greetings loyal ES readers,

Well this short little note is about the modders renaissance being started by the Consilium Belli at the TWCenter.

If you feel you have a depth of wisdom to offer regarding your modding experiences, or just even some energy to expend brainstorming ways to improve the services offered at TWC, this is your chance!

Our motto is, gradual but consistent. Consider all the modding resorurces offered at TWC are now under review and in the process of imrovement and reorganization.

Want to help shape the future? Head over to our brainstorming CB communications thread here, or if you want to exercise your muscles, drop by the CB Projects and WIPs workspace where you can plug in with some of our ongoing projects.

Offer suggestions, suggest improvements,write some new tutorials, or even just spread the word: its time to make TWC more effective than ever.

Join the renaissance!

Cheers,
    Consilium Belli

Picture Of The Week Roundup and News
    Click to view content: 

Picture of the Week 96 Winner
    Antissa - untitled

Picture of the Week 97 Winner
    bdotward
    The Crusaders Have Arrived

Picture of the Week 98 Winner
    Toboe
    Blood the Last Knight

Picture of the Week 99 Winner
    MarquisWu

Picture of the Week 100 Winner
    Crypel
    "Crimson Wind, Fire and Steel"

Picture of the Week 101 voting is taking place now!
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

D|major's Avatar the key of glory

Default Re: The Eagle Standard Vol. VI Issue IX

Great... about the AAR's... maybe they're called AARtists?

Hmm, for some reason it doesn't load the PotW 99 picture. Is it just me?
    Last edited by D|major; June 30, 2008 at 04:06 PM.
    formerly known as D|need
    m2tw cinematic editor tutorials as video and thread | my total war videos
    the picture of the week subforum with great artworks | my pics and vids gallery
    under the patronage of b. ward

Quote Originally Posted by D|need View Post
    Great... about the AAR's... maybe they're called AARtists?

Hmm, for some reason it doesn't load the PotW 99 picture. Is it just me?
    Indeed. I saw that too. I checked out the PotW forum and looked for the submission image for number 99 and that is a little red X of doom as well. Looks like the image has gone or the server where the image is hosted has gone.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

♔The Lizard King♔'s Avatar Citizen

I'm loving the "Crimson Wind, Fire and Steel" picture!

Great edition, look forward to working with you guys (and girls)!

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Excellent edition as always. It's nice to see 2 AARs on Medieval II: one concentrating on Campaign, and the other focusing on Multiplayer (from me)

Some of the pictures in the "Pictures of the Week" were completely amazing.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

PotW!!!!!!

♔The Lizard King♔'s Avatar Citizen

Very nice AAR Prince_of_Macedon! I think I'm gonna go play an English Campaign... heh.

BTW

I am Blaster Fodder (name change)

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Quote Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post
    Very nice AAR Prince_of_Macedon! I think I'm gonna go play an English Campaign... heh.
    You should! I really enjoyed using England. Once I get done trying out each faction, then I'll probably be using them more often.
    BTW

I am Blaster Fodder (name change)
    I'll try to remember the name change
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Very nice, enjoyable reading.

Great read! Keep it up!

**RS Dev Team***Reciprocal Repper!* RIP Calvin- you will be missed