Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need serious help

Default I need serious help

Well i'm using Hannibals base files to make a map but something really weird keeps happening. I can get the game running and everything until i'm in the campaing but when i'm there i'ts just part of the old RTw map. not all of it because the base files from hannibal are small but it's still so weird. So then I replaced the files in data/world/maps/base with the ones I want. But nothing still happens, even though the radar map is really messed up and has part of what my radar map should look like. I'm not using a mod-folder for it because I can't. I lost my link after a bad incedent and now I have to use one from the many back up files I made. What am I doning wrong?? Maybe if I could use a mod folder would it work?
    Here's a pic of what the campign looks like -

Default Re: I need serious help

There is no special trick to the mod folder. Just keep the folder you downloaded in your Rome directory. Then right click on the romeTW icon on your desktop and alter the Properties. There should be a box called Target just add -mod: (and the name of your folder) e.g

"C:\Program Files\Modified Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -mod:mod

As for your radar map, I didnt include a radar map in my base files you must make that yourself. The game draws the regions over the top of the radar map. So yours looks messed up cos the game is trying to draw your regions on the vanilla radar map which is still in the folder (and is also probably the wrong size)

If you cant get the mod folder thing to work just delete the radar map as long as the FOW is switched off you should still see your regions.

But I don't have the rtw link on my desktop, hence I can't alter it. If I had it I know I could but I don't so i'm kinda left in the dark. Could someone lend me a copy of theres?

But I understand the radar thing.

Quote Originally Posted by anelious phyros View Post
    I need serious help
    We know but unfortunately there isn't a forum for that sort of thing...

(Sos couldn't resist )

Your lucky I just found out how to get the mod:swithch to work on a differnt link. And then agin right after that the provincial campign crashes....

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Uhm, I don't think you should be placing the map files in data/world/map/bases at the moment. There are a whole bunch of issues that this can cause and you must be aware of.

Not replacing the Radar maps has never been a problem, as Hannibal stated, it just creates an odd looking over lay.

I know you found the answer, but to make a desktop short cut, you find the Rome engine in local/program_files/theCreativeAssembly/RomeTotalWar/ (or something like that, its basically where ever the data folder is and you'll see a RTW icon.

Right click on this and select (make short cut) and move it to your desk top. Now, duplicate this and add -mod:my_name and it will load up the game via the data folder in the my_name folder. (I'm assuming you know how to create a mod folder.)
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Yea, I figured it out. But I still have a problem. I just downloaded (agin) hannibals BASe replaced with old and then made the make the shortcut go to that mod:switch. But when when i'm waiting for the provincial campiagn to load when it gets too the very end of the bar it CTDs, and I havn't even touched any of the folders.?

Hmm, are you deleting the map.rmw? Is a new one generating? Obviously you got it to load once since you took screen shots, was this in a non-modfoldered provincial campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramashan View Post
    Hmm, are you deleting the map.rmw? Is a new one generating? Obviously you got it to load once since you took screen shots, was this in a non-modfoldered provincial campaign?
    non-modfoldered? No it's being used threw a mod folder and I havn't touched it form the download. It worked when I put it in the main RTW (non modfolder) but like the pic was it looked like the imperial map.

Okay, I just put a unmodded data folder in "BASE" and then replaced the orignal base files (the ones from the download). It dosn't CTD but It still has the imperial campaign map on it! Why does it keep doing that?

Hmm

Are you creating two folders in the mod folder, one for text and one for world\maps\campaign\my_campaign?

I believe that's all you need.

And are you deleting all the map.rmw's? In maps/world/base and in the provincial campaign?

you must have copied the radar maps again. Check your mod folder to see if youve copied them over. If so delete.

Hmm

Are you creating two folders in the mod folder, one for text and one for world\maps\campaign\my_campaign?

I believe that's all you need.

And are you deleting all the map.rmw's? In maps/world/base and in the provincial campaign?
    yep, I have text and world containing only my_campiagn. And I made sure the map.wrm was deleted. But i'll try it agin one more time.

Results -

BASE has a unmodded data folder with the text and campaign folders from hannibals download. - it loads but has imperial _campaign map

BASE has only Text and campiagn from hannibals download. - CTD.

I'm dumbfounded. <??>

Let me see if I follow: you've downloaded the simple base files. Then copied in your new maps. and it crashes. I'm I right so far? If so have you changed the dimensions of the maps and not updated the terrain text file. or added regions and not updated the text files. Also are you using -show_err at the end of your target?

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal Smith View Post
    Let me see if I follow: you've downloaded the simple base files. Then copied in your new maps. and it crashes. I'm I right so far? If so have you changed the dimensions of the maps and not updated the terrain text file. or added regions and not updated the text files. Also are you using -show_err at the end of your target?
    no I don't think you've got it. I downloaded it. made a mod:switch for it and it crashes. I don't even touch it and it still crashes.

The base files that I posted should load as a provincial campaign, I dont understand why it's crashing. So are you using -show_err?

Yes, I run it as a provincial campaign. And can I do that when i'm already using a mod:switch?

Wow, this really weird - I put on -show err and I started the prov campiang it loaded completly except it once agin had the imperial campiagn on it.?

when you say it had the imperial campaign on it. What do you mean? is it just like your first post where the radar map shows the imperial campaign, or does it actually load the imperial campaign map? Also have you got a provincial camapign with the same name in your vanilla campaigns folder ie not in the mod folder?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast