Thread: Mini Mod Installer... A Consideration...

Default Mini Mod Installer... A Consideration...

This is more of a request and a consideration that I'd like to see talked about more openly by all...

I have heard talk of a mini mod installer that would comprise all the mods currently in work. This in itself would possibly be the best addition to SS6 as it would give every one, even those not so computer savvy, the chance to install each mod in the correct order to allow for compatibility. The installer would also be a rather large file as well!

As it is, there are quite a few different types of mini mods for SS6. Most of them having multiple versions with some versions being compatible with other mods while other versions not being compatible with other mods. Its all very confusing and hard to tell what mods one should actually install, or what versions of what mods. So i was thinking of a system that we would all follow to allow for a little more order to the release of mods, combined with an installer that uses all up to date releases.

my idea for it was to set time-lines for each mod to work toward (3 month intervals or something), all mods that have a newer version after those 3 months gets added to the installer (or use there latest version if nothing newer is out). This would give all the modders a kind of work schedule to work with, everyone would know when the next big release is and there would be less talk of when will this be done or when will that be finished. Its just a stupid idea, but i think it would be cool if every mod had a time-line to work by so the community can expect results by specific dates.

I understand no one wants any mod rushed or finished prematurely, but to have guidelines and a time-line to follow would make it easier in my opinion... a little more order to releases.

Each mod would still release there latest version whenever, and you could still use it before the 'date' arrives, it just wouldn't be added to the installer until the following scheduled date...

is this a stupid idea or what?

If not an installer, then at least a stickied post that cant be replied to that is updated every month or so about every up to date mod and in what order they should be installed and whether or not they are compatable...

Besides, i don't know about you, but i haven't played a 'real' game of M2TW for a while due to the excitement each separate mod brings with each new release. I don't want to start a game if 2 weeks later the mod i was waiting for is released! But knowing i have a whole month before the next update i know i have time to finish an actual game with up to date mods!

Any one else see this in a similar way... or am i just dreaming...
    ...longbows, in skilled hands, could reach further than trebuchets...

Barser's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Mini Mod Installer... A Consideration...

Its a good idea but theres a lot of sub mods I don't want installed. Unles there is some way to choose from the installer which one to choose I wouldn't use it.
    But some people would of course.

I for one don't like all the "realism mods". Just want new cool features

______________Factionleaders and Generals mod__________________
    ______________________Agents-minimod____________________________

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

While maybe a good idea on paper, in practice it would be a nightmare. Trying to co-ordinate everything that's going on and everyone making the submods would be impossible. Plus many people would not want to have to download 28 different submods just to install the 2 or 3 that they want.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

aNarion.'s Avatar Centenarius

could be like a patch, where you mark those mini mods you want in the setup. thought then you have to download alot of things that you maybe dont want :S

I agree thought, about its confusing with all these mini mods, which one is compatible with what and so on..

Good idea anyway!

Which is why in my first post i suggested it atleast become a sticky post that can't be replied to and only has the latest information on what sub mods are compatable with what and what is the latest version, no download at all... We currently dont have anything like that. We do have a stickied post that keeps track of all sub mods, but it doesnt tell you what the latest version is or whats compatable with what, or anything other then the names of the mods.

An installer may be to large a file, and may be better suited as a patch. But somthing honestly has to be done about the ever growing sub mod database we have growing here.

The modders themselves know exactly which files they have altered, and therefore have an idea of which other mods they would be compatable with, or atleast what to do to make them compatable. Just a little bit of coordination between a mod teams leader and the person keeping the post up to date is all that would be needed.

Somthings gotta be done or i fear alot of mods wont get to see the light of day when thrown in with other 'bigger' mods...

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

On paper it looks like it would work, but i have to agree that it wouldn't.
    Your second idea about a sticky with list of current sub mods and compatability is a great idea. You would need to have a moderator , control the thread so noone else could post and he would have to be dilegent in his work. Or we could make a rule that anyone that releases a mod should PM the moderator and give him the info he would need. If i were atleast a local moderator on this forum i would do it.

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

In my opinion, it would be best if KK would release another patch, and hand-pick mods he thinks are best!

That would solve some compatibility issues as all further mods would have to be based on latest SS patch(for example, I'd like to see RR based on Battle for the Baltic..as it is not, I'm not using BftB yet, because RR gets updated often lately thus creating compatibility issues)..so I guess I'm waiting for the patch!

Quote Originally Posted by Barser View Post
    Its a good idea but theres a lot of sub mods I don't want installed. Unles there is some way to choose from the installer which one to choose I wouldn't use it.
    But some people would of course.

I for one don't like all the "realism mods". Just want new cool features
    agreed you should be able to pick the ones you want off a check list

Favorite Goalies

I have to agree, we would need a moderator willing to take care of the detailed process of keeping links and information up to date... so confusing...
    Sadly i'll end up bypassing most mini mods because i dont want to bother trying to figure out its compatability issues, so for me it will be SSTC, Real Combat\Real Recruitment, Bygs Supply and command, the Garrison script, Recruitment Limitations, RAJ, 2TPY <all those are generally compatable with any other mod... and possibly firebats unit roster... After tht it tends to get confusing as to what will be compatable... Generally speaking, i have found once you add one of the bigger mini mods (ones that change the unit roster, settlement names etc) you start having compatablity issues...