Thread: Real Slow AI Turns

Default Real Slow AI Turns

I had a browse around to see if this has already been posted but I don't think it has so here goes:

Im using the 6.1 version of SS and installed both the parts manually. I am not using an sub mods. I am using the latest official patched version of Kingdoms-1.05 i believe.

I havent actually experienced any noticable bugs with the Mod but I am having an issue with the speed it is taking for the AI to take its turns.

On Kingdoms or vanilla TW or the Retrofit Mod once i End my turn it takes about 10 seconds or so for all the AI factions to take their turn however on SS its taking over a minute. Of course I accept that there are more factions but I can see the progression of each factions turning passing over to the next happening much slower than I am used to.

To be fair Im not using the most up to date modern gaming system but im able to deal with vanilla and kingdoms without issue so was just wondering if there is anything I can tweak to solve this or whether I simply have to deal with it

Oh and also the game options are set not to follow ai movements.

Quixote's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Real Slow AI Turns

Unfortunately the issue is your PC. AI turns used to take up to two minutes for me on my old PC (2.7 GHz chip, 512 MB PCI NVidia Card, 512 MB RAM). On my new sustem AI turns take 10 seconds if I do not follow their moves. However my new system is smokin' fast compared to the old one (3.00 GHz Dual Core Chip, 1GB NVidia 8500 GT PCI Express card, 4 GB RAM). The game makes many decisions concerning AI moves and uses a lot of random number generating form the CPU clock, this all takes time considering the number of factions.

After getting my new system the game is much more enjoyable...

You only live once, new gaming PCs are what credit cards were made for!
    One man scorned and covered with scars still strove with his last ounce of courage to reach the unreachable stars; and the world was better for this.
    -Don Quixote

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
    After getting my new system the game is much more enjoyable...

You only live once, new gaming PCs are what credit cards were made for!

I must agree here, components are cheaper and better for each passing day. If you do buy a new system, build it yourself and you will save up alot of cash, and get more performance.

If you do, try my little gfx-tweak, gives the game alot better graphics.
    http://img151.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zoom1zr8.png <- maximum settings (no tweaks)
    http://img46.imageshack.us/my.php?image=niceme7.png <- my sprites-tweak

This can't be right. I'm also experiencing slow Ai turns, take up to 1-2 min. And this is my spec:

8800GTX, Quad Core 3 ghz and 4gb ram. It can't be my computer.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

Edvinson

your PC is plenty fast enough.

The problem is simply that the AI in SS6.0/6.1 has so much to do that it takes a while to do it. With 30 factions to handle and the interactions between them to work out, it takes a while.

Do some exercises during the AI turn, stretch your legs and maybe go make a cup of tea. Or watch the AI move the AI armies and agents around and see what takes so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov View Post
    Do some exercises during the AI turn, stretch your legs and maybe go make a cup of tea. Or watch the AI move the AI armies and agents around and see what takes so long.
    Hahahaha..great stuff!

It is odd to have such long lasting AI turs with that specs! I have 2 gigs of RAM, 2x2.2 GHz core2duo proc and a good graphic card, and ai turns never last more than 30 seconds in my case!

Rozanov helped me in another thread Thanks

I drink tea everytime I play total war Also, I workout everyday. But not during the game

I have the same issue with SS 6.1 as Katar: the AI turns are very slow (usually 90-100 seconds). I didn't have this problem with SS 6.0.

My computer is pretty well up-to-date:
    System: Windows XP Professional x64 edition
    Computer: Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40 GHz, 2 GB RAM
    Display adapter: NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTX

I don't know what could cause this problem, and how could I solve it.

Can anyone HELP please to speed up the turns, or link a help thread?

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWizard View Post
    I have the same issue with SS 6.1 as Katar: the AI turns are very slow (usually 90-100 seconds). I didn't have this problem with SS 6.0.

My computer is pretty well up-to-date:
    System: Windows XP Professional x64 edition
    Computer: Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40 GHz, 2 GB RAM
    Display adapter: NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTX

I don't know what could cause this problem, and how could I solve it.

Can anyone HELP please to speed up the turns, or link a help thread?
    Well..it's known that Byg's Grim Reality mod prolongs the AI turns a bit, maybe that's the issue?

Lyrondor's Avatar Libertus

At first, during the first 30 to 40 Turns I would say that the Turns are completed within 15 to 20 seconds (approximately), but later on it can take up to a minute for me, I have a Core 2 Duo at 3.7Ghz (E8400) and 4GB of Memory. But it's ok, it's not too long in my book, and sometimes I enjoy following the A.I events during their Turn.

Icon1 Re: Real Slow AI Turns

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago de Pola View Post
    Well..it's known that Byg's Grim Reality mod prolongs the AI turns a bit, maybe that's the issue?
    This must be it. Thanks!

Wolfgrin's Avatar Semisalis

Something sneaky is afoot, because there have actually been MANY threads complaining of the slow AI turn, and the computers involved vary from mediocre to smoking fast. Slow turns are happening for guys with multi-core processors and simple Pentium 4s (like mine), for both Vista and XP. My computer knowledge is at a Cro-magnon Man level, so I haven't a clue what it could be. I'll also add that the turns were just as slow for me (1 to 2 mins) in SS 6.0 as they are in SS 6.1.

The baffling thing is some people are reporting turns no longer than 15 seconds. YOWZA! Who'd they sell their souls to?

My friends, the devil is at work here. Perhaps a good purging with fire will solve the problem.

Hi all, I was having crazy lag times and did a disk defrag, not sure if the different saves etc... were clogging it up but it really helped, give it a try...

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

I found I got a remarkable increase in game performance after completely reinstalling M2TW, kingdoms and SS from scratch.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team