Thread: logistics and climate

Default logistics and climate

1st
    will DoTS have simialer logistical problems for the player to deal with as in DLV?

if so i had an idea what if there were a supply wagon type unit, when it joins an army a message comes up simaler to the one you get when you try to get a princess to join an army something like "marrie the general or travel with army" execpt with the supply wagon it would say somthing like "resupply army or travel with army"

2nd

i believe that climate sould play a lager role then in the vanilla, i think that it sould give certain factions stronger bones and penalties depending on what climate they are used to

Ex:
    North Euro factions (tutons, rus, lith, pol, den, ect...) = bonus fighting in snow, large penalties in desersts (less morale, less movement, get tired quickly)

central euro (eng, fre, HRE, scot, ect..) = no bonus in snow, penalties in desertes

South euro = (italy, spain, ect..) small penalties in snow (lower morale, less movement), sightly lower penalties in deserts

Anatolia/asia minor = (biz, turks, ect..) no penalties in snow and lower penalties in deserts

Middle East/Africa = (moors, eygpt, ect..) large penalties in snow (very low morale, low movement), large bonus in desersts (plus morale, plus movement)

units like camels and elephates sould lose numbers when they are in snow for to long because they cant survive in such cold conditions

also would it be possiable to have large stroms like at sea but in winter regions to represent blizzards that could devistate an army when it is out in the open

i think this would add a new layer of complexity to the mod and force the player to realy plan out his campains
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Default Re: logistics and climate

Speaking of climate, will we have the feature in which units from the moors who are trained in say, england will have moorish tradiations but dressed in english style armour?
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

I dont think so because wasnt light and mobile warfare a moorish tradiation also if think it might not be possible
    but if a moorish genaral were to spend a few years in england in winter couldnt he get a trait saying "getting used to the cold" and penalties are reduced and if he spends all of turns there he could get "cold no longer bothers him" and he would have no penalties vise versa for Northern genarals
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

I mean that, for instance, roman legionaries in britain were issued with woolen socks and overcoats, and in dacia they were issued with extra armour to protect against falxes.

So perhaps soldiers would change to fit their surroundings instead of just like most tw games with AOR, where theya re gradually abandoned in favour of foregin auxilaries.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

good point but i dont know if that can be done but this team has some real experts so you never know
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Basileos's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
    I mean that, for instance, roman legionaries in britain were issued with woolen socks and overcoats, and in dacia they were issued with extra armour to protect against falxes.

So perhaps soldiers would change to fit their surroundings instead of just like most tw games with AOR, where theya re gradually abandoned in favour of foregin auxilaries.
    The idea sounds very good and realistic but remember that this mean a lot of skinning work and i don't know if we have enough time and skinners for doing this.

Ex:
    North Euro factions (tutons, rus, lith, pol, den, ect...) = bonus fighting in snow, large penalties in desersts (less morale, less movement, get tired quickly)

central euro (eng, fre, HRE, scot, ect..) = no bonus in snow, penalties in desertes

South euro = (italy, spain, ect..) small penalties in snow (lower morale, less movement), sightly lower penalties in deserts

Anatolia/asia minor = (biz, turks, ect..) no penalties in snow and lower penalties in deserts

Middle East/Africa = (moors, eygpt, ect..) large penalties in snow (very low morale, low movement), large bonus in desersts (plus morale, plus movement)

units like camels and elephates sould lose numbers when they are in snow for to long because they cant survive in such cold conditions

also would it be possiable to have large stroms like at sea but in winter regions to represent blizzards that could devistate an army when it is out in the open

i think this would add a new layer of complexity to the mod and force the player to realy plan out his campains
    Seems me a good idea too!

"I created disco"
    "**** Me I'm Famous"
    Al-Andalus/moorish researcher for DotS.
    Come and visite the DotS threads! : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...prune=-1&f=492

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Because of the idea to have ethnic traits or modifiers to traits based on ethnic (and dynastic) backgrounds each character will get certain +s and -s although these can change, as in reality. It's just that the starting point of a character coming from a certain culture makes them more familiar with certain ways of life than others. That's the idea. So through traits we hope we can mod logistics and effects of climate.
    More than just the ethnic or cultural aspects though, we hope that logistics will be a really important feature although we need to look into this more. At the moment we are missing staff in that area.
    We have talked about doing similar things to Byg's grim reality mod in that department.
    ONe idea has even been to have the 'supply wagon train' as a unit that you can recruit and take with you on campaign to keep your army morale and movement high, as well as other benefits. We want to make it into an actual battlefield unit that if destroyed will be lost on the campaign map like any other unit. It would be a good way to destroy an army on campaign without having to destroy the entire army man for man. You could (in theory) just desptroy the train and then retreat, wait a few turns and watch the enemy fade away.
    It's still only an idea though and we are very short-staffed when it comes to making things happen, so don't get too excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    Because of the idea to have ethnic traits or modifiers to traits based on ethnic (and dynastic) backgrounds each character will get certain +s and -s although these can change, as in reality. It's just that the starting point of a character coming from a certain culture makes them more familiar with certain ways of life than others. That's the idea. So through traits we hope we can mod logistics and effects of climate.
    More than just the ethnic or cultural aspects though, we hope that logistics will be a really important feature although we need to look into this more. At the moment we are missing staff in that area.
    We have talked about doing similar things to Byg's grim reality mod in that department.
    ONe idea has even been to have the 'supply wagon train' as a unit that you can recruit and take with you on campaign to keep your army morale and movement high, as well as other benefits. We want to make it into an actual battlefield unit that if destroyed will be lost on the campaign map like any other unit. It would be a good way to destroy an army on campaign without having to destroy the entire army man for man. You could (in theory) just desptroy the train and then retreat, wait a few turns and watch the enemy fade away.
    It's still only an idea though and we are very short-staffed when it comes to making things happen, so don't get too excited.
    this is what i was getting at with climate and as for having supply trains as a battle field unit this would be fantastic!!! keep up the great work guys
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I love the idea of the battlefield supply unit. It would give another layer of tactics to planning to attack a large enemy army in your terratory. Certainly when playing as some of the nations whose armies are designed for skirmishes such as Ireland or some of the Islamic factions it would then be easier to hinder an army by sending out raiding armies comprised of light cavalry which could target the supply wagon rather than risking losing a large stack of units in an open battle.

If you want to show the changes that might be made to units recruited in different areas then why not use something like PDER's region of recruitment system, where depending what region you are in you can recruit some of the basic units found in the roster of the kingdom that usually controlles that unit. For example in wales being able to recuit basic longbow men to take into account the utilisation of that regions natural resource of archers, or being able to recuit better cavalry in regions famous for having a good quality of horses, or crusading factions being able to recuit local desert units either in addition to or instead of the usual mercenaries.