Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New System (any suggestions)

:w00t Ok, I've decided to buy and build my own system...and this is it.

Microsoft Windows XP Home (OEM)
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Sound Card
    Maxtor 160G Serial ATA (2 of em).
    D-Link DSL-302G ADSL Modem
    1024 GeIL PC3200 400MHz DDR Dual Channel Series (2X512MB)
    AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+ Processor Retail (939)
    Powersupply Antec NEOPower 480 480 watt ATX12V v2.0 PUS
    MGE Quantum Black Case With 4 in 1 LCD Control
    ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce 4 SLI Socket 939 Motherboard
    Pioneer DVR-109BK 16X DVD-/+R/RW Dual Layer(OEM,Black)
    Logitech Deluxe Optical Desktop KB & PS2 mouse(OEM, Black)
    Viewsonic VE175 17 inch LCD Monitor
    Leadtek WinFast PX6800 GT TDH 256MB

edit/insert: Plus my 5500z speakers from logitech, and a floppy drive for nostalgia.

However, before I go and buy all this gear...I'd just like to make sure that no-one can see any problems with it, or if anyone has any suggestions about it, all up this should come to about the $3000 Australian mark, hopefully less if I can get the stuff at a computer fair...so pick away please because I'd prefer to be disappointed now rather than after Ive bought the stuff.

Seems fine, can't see any issues. Same graphics, CPU, RAM combo that I have. Everything matches with a PCI-E graphics card. All the correct colour.

I presume that the PSU has the right connectors for the mobo? It probably does being new.

Speakers?

EDIT
    Make sure the Geil you get is CAS 2.
    ...but I think Germany with home advantage will raise their game as always for the big ones and win the title. Post #260

:sad PSU is fine, I spent more on it to make it sure its fine.
    Thanks about the ram, will make sure of that.
    Already got speakers 2 months ago...Logitech z5500 5.1 digital surround sound...and to think I got them for Halo 2 on xbox :sick (damn box just sits there under to the tv I bought gathering dust most of the time... :>< ).

I admit it Im addicted to gadgets and home entertainment stuff....healthier than drugs and alcohol but not really much cheaper....meh :grin

Edit:
    yeh its CAS 2
    thnx for that.

buy the radeon cards, they&#39;re better in most complex and intensive graphic using direct x 9.0 (excluding SM3.0) game
    that is my suggestion

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

What graphics card? I suggest a BFG 6800 GT OC for overall performance. It hangs with an X800XT VERY well(even beats it in some tests) and is about &#036;100 cheaper.

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

No, that isn't a banana

stick with your leadtek - good card, and works well with your mobo.

ahhh, didn&#39;t see that in the list. TheLeadtek is a good card.

here

Don&#39;t buy the radeon card. Your choice is good.
    Clients: Caius Britannicus, Waitcu, Spurius, BrandonM, and Tsar Stephan.
    http://www.totalwardai.com

Yeah, the NVIDIA cards are really about the best performance for the money.

here

do you know there are x800xl in the market? they&#39;re priced &#036;300, and neck to neck with 6800gt....
    also can reach the level of x800xt

just a guide

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/dis...004-27gpu2.html

You also might think about upping those 512 sticks to 1 gig sticks. never hurts to have more ram, and the gig sticks are better for upgrades. when i built mine i went with 2 512 corsair xms dual channel bad boys, but now if i want to upgrade i will want to put in gigs. which means i will have to buy memory all over again >:/
    also its been a couple years for mine but you might want to get higher than PC3200 if you can spring the cash for it. Although the pipes on your MOBO might make anything faster useless. You should check into that. I know mine bought 2 years ago was 3200, they had 3600, and mine wasnt too bad of a wallet killer. Good luck&#33;

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

also its been a couple years for mine but you might want to get higher than PC3200 if you can spring the cash for it.
    Anything faster than the PC3200 and the AMD memory controler probably won&#39;t work with it nor the motherboard... But we will have to wait and see.

&quot;Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil.&quot;
    Stewie, Family Guy

As far as I know it only takes PC3200 DDR ram....otherwise I would spring for the higher stuff. :erm :8

Higher RAM just allows you to run an overclocked cpu at a 1:1 ratio without overstressing the RAM

My ABIT is "only compatible w/ PC3200" too. But yet, there sits my PC4000 running at 250Mhz+.

Check the motherboard manufacturers website for RAM compatibility.

Anything faster than the PC3200 and the AMD memory controler probably won&#39;t work with it nor the motherboard... But we will have to wait and see.
    Even if your RAM IS too fast for the board, it will simply revert to the speeds it runs normally. You just won&#39;t get the maximum Mhz available. But, It will work.

do you know there are x800xl in the market? they&#39;re priced &#036;300, and neck to neck with 6800gt....
    also can reach the level of x800xt
    The 6800GT beats the 800XL in every test. Not by much I know, it&#39;s a little more than neck and neck And the BFG 6800GT is more on par with an X800XT. Higher memory clocks than a "vanilla" GT...not to mention the ONLY lifetime guarantee on a graphics card.

Can you post a link to the &#036;300 XL? The cheapest I saw them for is &#036;364 HERE

here

Yeah its been awhile for me, but I dont remember seeing any conflicts. The only thing I remember is that the extra spped may go to waste. Pompey will have to look into it, though, as I have not kept up to date on the info.
    -RC

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

ven if your RAM IS too fast for the board, it will simply revert to the speeds it runs normally. You just won&#39;t get the maximum Mhz available. But, It will work.
    So why would someone bother with it? *wink*

&quot;Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil.&quot;
    Stewie, Family Guy

To prove the point.

ATI&#39;s top gun couldn&#39;t beat Nvidia&#39;s 3rd tier.

Clients: Caius Britannicus, Waitcu, Spurius, BrandonM, and Tsar Stephan.
    http://www.totalwardai.com

:blink I used to be an ATI fan...but that was before I was the one paying for the parts, and I don&#39;t see the point in paying more money for better RAM when I cant use its full potential anyway, may as well pay less for the same performance.

Its all about the upgrades. If you think that in 2 years (or whenever) when they make use of that extra speed, you wont have to buy ram again. And, if you overclock, then it will use the speed. Whatever you decide to do, I would definitely look into getting gig sticks instead of 512&#39;s. Maybe also look into dual channel. i have corsair xms dual channel memory in an MSI motherboard and it runs fantastic.

I used to be an ATI user too, nowadays i&#39;m sick of ATI not making an AGP card like the NVidia 6600GT is. All they have is the 9800Pro, which is slower and more expensive than the 6600GT. And of course the X700&#39;s are just for PCI-E.

About the system, I&#39;d recommend you to swap the Maxtor to a Seagate, in my experiences Maxtor has had much more problems. Not only is Seagate cheaper, it is also more quiet
    Historia Vitae Magistra.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast