Thread: progressively larger unit sizes...

Default progressively larger unit sizes...

i was wondering if this mod could perhaps introduce progressively larger unit sizes as the units advance in both time and technology in order to reflect the dramatic increase in army sizes in the periond, especially as tactics transitioned to pike and shot formations...

basically, lower tech units, as befitting their earlier place in the timeline would have smaller unit sizes than higher tech ones, this would also allow you to maintain a more standard stat sytem for the units as they would not need to have stats tweaked up enourmously in order to defeat lower tech units, it would be simple numbers.

while this might sound boring, it would allow units of similar tech levels to interact as they should on a tactical level, while ensuring that lower tech units are phased out progressively due to their inability to stand up against high tech units.

why did army sizes increase you might ask? simple, higher populations, and weapons (like the musket etc) that can be used effectively with minimal training, allowing generals to expand the sizes of their armies.

kepper's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: progressively larger unit sizes...

Sorry men but is hardcore you can´t change the number of troops during the game.
    <iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...get/video.html" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"> </iframe>

not sure you quite understand, what i'm saying is that for example, pikemen, a fairly late development in the game, cold have larger unit sizes in export_descr_units than units available earlier in the game such as peasant spearmen.

also it IS possible to do it with the same unit, you would just have to implement an event that deactivates a unit and activates a unit with exactly the same name and stats but a bigger unit size.

it just seems to me that unit sizes are an underused tool when it comes to balancing strengths and weaknesses. for example at unit size huge most units are either a standard 120 or 150 with some exceptions. why not play around with it a little, i've made units up to 240 individuals, i dont know if there is a limit or what that would be.
    Last edited by banzai_travis; June 21, 2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: spelling errors

yeah but then theres the issue of balance
    i have used italian spear militia through an entire game because of their balanced stats and such, but if you have larger unit sizes, then whats the point?
    --- Theseus1234
    Suum cique (To each their own) -Motto of the Kingdom of Prussia

The Crown of Aragon AAR- The Iberian Supremacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice and Mercy View Post
    My opinion is 100% objective. That's how I'm so right all the time.
    ^Human hubris knows no bounds.

the point is, historically speaking, technology advances and replaces older tech or tactics... ive gone through entire games with italian spear milita too, but i see that as an imbalance in the game that should be redressed.

i'm not saying historical accuracy should prevail over gameplay at all times, i just think this would be a workable solution to what i see as a flaw in the game.

Subuatai de Bodemloze's Avatar No rest for the wicked
    50 degrees, 26.2 minutes North, 119 degrees, 12.4 minutes West

Why shouldn't history take precidence... A thousand longbowmen should be able to stay off a force much larger than thenselves. Same goes for Mongol horsemen.. they could not only outmanouver mounted knights but there bows could penetrate the armour as well. I don't know about you guys but it ticks the hell out of me when my LBows, that should have twice the range they have and do about half the damage.

I don't think progressive unit sizes is a great idea. They should remain the way they are.
    Dvor Cavalry
    The best cavalry in the game.