Thread: 77 BC question

icydawgfish's Avatar Campidoctor

Default 77 BC question

During the beginning of this time period, shouldn't the Seleucids still hold Antioch? I didn't think they were finally disposed of until later in the decade and it would be an interesting although difficult scenario to play in.

"I used to eat people, but now I'm full."

Default Re: 77 BC question

Good point. We had quite an interesting discussion concerning whether this faction should be present or not. Unfortunately, it was lost with the fall of the RTR Forum.

According to livius.org, Tigranes the Great absorbed the last Seleucid domains in 83BC. In 69BC the Roman Proconsul Lucius L.Lucullus restored Antiochus XIII Asiaticus as King of Syria, but this restoration had a brief life, more or less until Pompey reorganized Asia and created the Roman province of Syria.

So, to be historically accurate, we could not make the Seleucids a starting faction in 77BC. And coding them as a spawning faction was a bit difficult, really.

Well, if you still have a faction slot left, maybe you could include them as a .bat file so if the player wants to use them or have them in the campaign, he runs the file and if not he runs another file that keeps the campaign at all the default settings.

In fact, now that I come to think of it, I could have added them instead of the current new faction. I had more material to use and it would have been easier to code

Anyway, I will give a look at it.

Well, what was the other faction you were considering? I think the Indo-Greeks would also be very cool and fun to play and would have a similar roster.

So, to be historically accurate, we could not make the Seleucids a starting faction in 77BC
    Hey amigo!

As you say, including a Seleukid faction in 77 BC really wouldn't make a great deal of historical sense.

We can talk about this over at the development forum if you wish but I think you already know my views

Deathbypepsi's Avatar Foederatus

a particularly strong rebel province perhaps? or one which will turn to the romans as an allied state after a while?
    "What? In Mercia? the coconut is tropical!"
    Editor of the Athenian chronicle- a respectable newspaper based on ROP v2.2

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

Or just start Seleucids off as a vassal of Tigranes.
    Blut und Boden

You will have a playable Seleucid faction in FMIR, with a lot of cool units and a very difficult starting situation.

I just saw a suggestion for the Indo-Greeks and frankly I can't even describe how awesome that would be.

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

Indeed it would! But our FMIR map ends at Bactria, approximately. And even the old RTR map that we used in 77BC did not cover more than a handful of Indian provinces.

Perhaps the most suitable map for adding an Indo-Greek faction would be the one of Res Gestae. Who knows, maybe in the future...

Ah, I suppose one can hope.

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.