Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you ride? Is Mount&Blade a true riding simulation?

Icon5 Do you ride? Is Mount&Blade a true riding simulation?

Title says it all... yes I do mean Do you ride? - as in horses. I've ridden a few times and I will say that after the latest update to horse animations I really feel like going out to ride.

So What about the rest of you?

Do you think Mount&Blade works as a true riding simulation? Does time spent playing help you stay in tune?

Thanks

Default Re: Do you ride? Is Mount&Blade a true riding simulation?

well never having ridden a horse, i'll venture a guess to say its the closest thing we've got so far.

Certainly the closest to a Medieval one at that!

Has anyone ever wanted to joust? I have wanted to try horseback archery as near me there was an International Horse archery festival which sadly expired the year I wanted to go...

Mount&Blade has, by far, the best horseback combat simulation ever. I rarely fight on foot anyway.

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

For a video game its pretty good. Still, real horse riding is far more complex and different.

Libertus
    Netherlands, Utrecht, Amersfoort, Vathorst

Quote Originally Posted by Crucifix View Post
    For a video game its pretty good. Still, real horse riding is far more complex and different.
    I agree. It has allot of prommise, and its got to be one of the best one around, but still there's allot of weird things in it. Example, A horse would never run at a wall at top speed than rear up when he hits it. The horse in M&B can only go forward and backward for that matter, They cannot strafe. (Not that you would want to do that so much, but still)

Servitor

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Taizu View Post
    I rarely fight on foot anyway.

You mean in real life?

Quote Originally Posted by Servitor View Post
    I agree. It has allot of prommise, and its got to be one of the best one around, but still there's allot of weird things in it. Example, A horse would never run at a wall at top speed than rear up when he hits it. The horse in M&B can only go forward and backward for that matter, They cannot strafe. (Not that you would want to do that so much, but still)

Servitor

Well as far as the riding goes not necessarily all of the multitude of reactions a horse would give. I do think that maybe in the future a easy, medium and hard horse riding setting could be implemented for more or less realism.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

The major difference (and probably what makes mounted troops so much more powerful than infantry troops in the game) is that the horses in the game behave like legged motorcycles rather than independent animals that may not necessarily want to charge into that huge mass of spear wielding dudes.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

You're also glued to your horse in M&B. The last time I went riding it felt like I was gonna fall off at any moment. I was uncomfortable at a trot, didn't even try a gallop. If I got smacked with a mace, I'd surely fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    You mean in real life?
    No.

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

Not a rider, but I think horses in M&B are able to canter down sharp declines way to easily and without risk of breaking their legs...

Quote Originally Posted by Sidus Preclarum View Post
    Not a rider, but I think horses in M&B are able to canter down sharp declines way to easily and without risk of breaking their legs...
    Well, at least M&B has the horse separate from the rider as in the horse dies by itself and not the rider unlike in Total War where both the horse and the rider die at the same time.

Does anyone know of a true riding simulation I can try. I would like to see the difference between those if they exist and Mount&Blade.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Taizu View Post
    Well, at least M&B has the horse separate from the rider as in the horse dies by itself and not the rider unlike in Total War where both the horse and the rider die at the same time.
    That's the only way it could be possible in TW.

What would they do if one of the horses was killed, create a new unit with only 1 man in it?
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    That's the only way it could be possible in TW.

What would they do if one of the horses was killed, create a new unit with only 1 man in it?
    You know what's interesting? Is that in TW it's virtually impossible, but with Mount&Blade it's not only possible, but it's on it's way to becoming TW.

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

Microsoft's Riding Simulatior 2009!!!!

Really? I'll have to check that out!

I've owned a few horses in the past, and whilst Mount & Blade has the best horse riding I've seen in a game so far there are still many flaws.
    • Firstly, ever jumped your horse off a ravine in M&B? Try doing that to a living thinking animal, and then try clinging on to the reins when you flip over the horses head because it skidded to a halt!
    • Secondly, no reins. They're fairly important in most horse riding techniques.
    • Thirdly, these horses are TANKS! I've yet to go round to doing so, but I need to go and change the HP of the horses in this game as an unarmoured hunter can take a javelin to the face or a spear to the chest and keep on running.
    • Lastly, there is no sense of power or speed riding a horse. Horses are big beasts, at full gallop they can reach 30mph. The thunder of hooves would be nicer if it were louder, and some sort of camera shudder as the horse moves would be cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by allthesedamnnamesaretaken View Post
    The last time I went riding it felt like I was gonna fall off at any moment. I was uncomfortable at a trot, didn't even try a gallop. If I got smacked with a mace, I'd surely fall off.
    I find a trot is harder to balance with than a canter or gallop, as the horse is doing the equivalent of a human jog and bouncing itself up and down. A full-on gallop can be scary as hell when you're sat on the back of an enormous shire horse, but is much easier to ride in.
    - As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University -

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    Does anyone know of a true riding simulation I can try. I would like to see the difference between those if they exist and Mount&Blade.
    there's a game called GUN same as M&B but with Guns the horse is better here

i've ridden a real horse 3x hehe itis far from the game

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbler View Post
    I've owned a few horses in the past, and whilst Mount & Blade has the best horse riding I've seen in a game so far there are still many flaws.
    • Firstly, ever jumped your horse off a ravine in M&B? Try doing that to a living thinking animal, and then try clinging on to the reins when you flip over the horses head because it skidded to a halt!
    • Secondly, no reins. They're fairly important in most horse riding techniques.
    • Thirdly, these horses are TANKS! I've yet to go round to doing so, but I need to go and change the HP of the horses in this game as an unarmoured hunter can take a javelin to the face or a spear to the chest and keep on running.
    • Lastly, there is no sense of power or speed riding a horse. Horses are big beasts, at full gallop they can reach 30mph. The thunder of hooves would be nicer if it were louder, and some sort of camera shudder as the horse moves would be cool too.

I find a trot is harder to balance with than a canter or gallop, as the horse is doing the equivalent of a human jog and bouncing itself up and down. A full-on gallop can be scary as hell when you're sat on the back of an enormous shire horse, but is much easier to ride in.

Good points. I wouldn't call them tanks so much as you can easily get tied up by a couple footman, but yes they are painless wonder steeds that's for sure! it would be nice if you could do the rear function and have them kick out at enemies

But it would be funny to get thrown ingame for having low riding skill or something haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril View Post
    there's a game called GUN same as M&B but with Guns the horse is better here

i've ridden a real horse 3x hehe itis far from the game

I'll check it out thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast