Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chivalry on ALX

GreatOne's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Chivalry on ALX

See last post, # 27 /DaVinci

I , and many other users have the Alexander expansion installed on our PCs, so I have made a set of instructions that will hopefully enable your Chivalry to run using the Alex.exe, meaning more clever AI on the battlefield and the Campaign map, and more naval activity on the AI's part compared to RTW exe, BI still has more naval activity.

Step 1:

Download the .zip archive and extract it to your Chivalry data folder (the mod switcher). Click 'yes' to overwrite.If you are not asked to overwrite, you are extracting it in the wrong folder!
    I removed the zip as it was hopeless outdated - instead use the traits-file instructions of the 3rd post below by aqd /DaVinci
    NOTE that I have only changed the "export_descr_character_traits" file, as I cannot find the other two.... It still works though, my faction leader just died

Step 2:

copy the Alex.exe itself into your Chivalry folder.

Step 3:

copy the Chat_filter.san into both your data folder AND your Chivalry/Data folder.

Step 4:

Create a new shortcut for Chivalry, go to properties and edit the target line so that it looks something like this:

"C:\Chivalry\RomeTW-ALX.exe" -mod:chivalryMOD -nm -show_err -noalexander -movie_cam

The bit in red is the important part.

Your Chivalry should now be configured to play using the Alex.exe AS LONG AS YOU USE THE NEW SHORTCUT.

This change is savegame compatible, so you can continue your campaign on the Alex.exe without having to restart.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by DaVinci; February 17, 2010 at 06:30 PM.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Re: Chivalry on ALX

Nice service ... if this will be a growing thread, then i'll stick it (but no official support by the ChivTeam, as it is GreatOne's own minimod).
    GreatOne, you'll have then to update it (the modified traits file) with every ChivTW update, as there will be certainly changes done by me or anybody of the team.

copy the Alex.exe itself into your Rome Medieval folder.
    ... wrong forum?

Oh, and this ...
    meaning more clever AI on the battlefield and the Campaign map, and more naval activity on the AI's part. It is also more stable than the RTW.exe so there are much less Engine based CTDs.
    ... i think is also due if ChivTW is played with BI exe, but i cannot judge really as i haven't playtested the Alexander espansion.
    Last edited by DaVinci; June 20, 2008 at 03:42 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    Nice service ... if this will be a growing thread, then i'll stick it (but no official support by the ChivTeam, as it is GreatOne's own minimod).
    GreatOne, you'll have then to update it (the modified traits file) with every ChivTW update, as there will be certainly changes done by me or anybody of the team.
    Just put the lines before all other traits in data\export_descr_character_traits.txt
    Code:
    Trait Immortal
        Characters family
        Hidden

Level Immortal
            Description Immortal_desc
            EffectsDescription Immortal_effects_desc
            Threshold 1
    It needs no text description because the trait is always invisible (even if you remove the word "hidden")

@DaVinci

Oh, sorry about that, I just copied Jingle's from RM, and modified it a bit to suit Chiv's needs, obviously I forgot about that one, and several others

And I sure will modify next one if you don't

AI is MUCH more clever when using ALX exe, it's even more clever than BI
    Last edited by GreatOne; June 22, 2008 at 06:08 AM.

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOne View Post
    @DaVinci

Oh, sorry about that, I just copied Jingle's from RM, and modified it a bit to suit Chiv's needs, obviously I forgot about that one, and several others

ahh! if I only had the money..

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

@DaVinci

lol, I wont hold it against you GreatOne .

Alx is very good though. One of the main perks is that the AI starts to retrain it's units.

When I saw who posted last, I thought I'd get flamed

Heh, thanks Jingle

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

can somebody give us a list of the alex.exe improvements?
    - I heard: AI movement improved. What does it mean in detail?
    - the AI retrain its units (sounds great)

what else?

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Pompeius Magnus View Post
    can somebody give us a list of the alex.exe improvements?
    - I heard: AI movement improved. What does it mean in detail?
    - the AI retrain its units (sounds great)

what else?
    naval invasions, superior AI tactics. I heard else too, but unconfirmed.:hmmm:

Ai acts less weird on the battlefield.It tries to flank you with it's light cavalry or infantry.

It searches for easy targets for cavalry charge meaning it wouldn't charge into ready spearmen

It retreats.I don't know if this is present in RTW, but I just hate it when I load up a battle, and the AI just retreats.....

AI does retrain Its units, meaning you will actually see some nice veteran armies ready to be killed

I don't know that movement is improved, but the cohesion of units is improved.The units have less chance to just spill on the battlefield.This happens with phalanx a lot in RTW, or when you move your units a lot on a tricky terrain(walls, cliffs, etc.)

AI invasions are present in BI more than in ALX, but they are still present.

ALX cannot use special abilities from BI like shieldwall, schiltrom, hording, swimming....

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Interesting, perhaps i should buy Alx somewhere in future.

Ai acts less weird on the battlefield.It tries to flank you with it's light cavalry or infantry.

It searches for easy targets for cavalry charge meaning it wouldn't charge into ready spearmen

It retreats.I don't know if this is present in RTW, but I just hate it when I load up a battle, and the AI just retreats.....
    These things are also present in Chivalry (under BI) as for our exceptional good battle AI .
    Except for the not charging into spearmen, at least heavy cavalry is doing it in certain circumstances, but it normally avoids advancing spearmen, and/or retreats for several repeating attacks of any foes (valid for a lot units in Chiv). Especially cavalry also tries to fall into the back of infantry. And, if units rooted, it comes back to you after a while (under certain circumstances), as long they aren't too much reduced.

This is a penalty of Alx then, as the AI in Chiv is doing a good job with naval invasions (under BI, and RTW partially).

AI does retrain Its units, meaning you will actually see some nice veteran armies ready to be killed
    Great achievement then from Alx as it finally negates at least this human player advantage (whereas it exists a script that can reduce the effect of this special human exploit, not included in Chiv though).
    Last edited by DaVinci; June 25, 2008 at 06:01 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

I think the battle AI in ALX is better than BI's one.Maybe those things are present, but AI is somehow better........

Unfortunately, in chiv I found some half units in armies.In RS on the other hand AI retrains units a lot more... don't know why :hmmm:
    Last edited by GreatOne; June 25, 2008 at 02:10 PM.

Basileios's Avatar Decanus

I don't know that movement is improved, but the cohesion of units is improved.The units have less chance to just spill on the battlefield.This happens with phalanx a lot in RTW, or when you move your units a lot on a tricky terrain(walls, cliffs, etc.)

ALX cannot use special abilities from BI like shieldwall, schiltrom, hording, swimming....
    Sounds very good indeed! :hmmm: What about the phalanx? Can it still be used? (Just for sure! )
    CTW Byzantine faction design (Retired)

Alexander. I think it says something

Basileios's Avatar Decanus

Alexander. I think it says something
    Hmmm, wasn't that the Zar of Russia during the Napoleonic Wars...?

O.K.! I take the message! The phalanx is currently the only special formation we use and it is vital for several Byzantine units that this formation remains in use.
    CTW Byzantine faction design (Retired)

Its Tzar(Car(serbian)), and yes you guessed! :laughing:

One of the ALX engine's advantages is the performance ingame.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

The game runs faster?

Interesting...... :hmmm:

Yes, you can have more soldiers on the battlefield with the same framerate with ALX than with RTW.
    BI is better regarding performance than RTW, and ALX better than BI.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Well thanks, I wasn't aware of that....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast