Thread: CTD when closing Battle Result screen.

Default CTD when closing Battle Result screen.

Damn crash every time I click the check mark button. Tried reloading the bast several times over and it keeps killing me.

I had saved in between turns and right before a Rebel navy attacks one of my own. After auto resolving it which of course my larger navy wins the battle result screen comes up. Sadly because I'm in between turns I'm forced to close it but every time I do so the game crashes.

Any advice? I really don't want to start over as my campaign is really going well. Perhaps I could give navies the ability to withdraw, how would I do that?

EDIT: I just realized I should have posted this in this thread. I apologize.
    Last edited by Kaiserjagen; June 20, 2008 at 12:46 AM.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Default Re: CTD when closing Battle Result screen.

No need to apologize.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

I can honestly say I've never heard of a naval battle causing a CTD. There is a known 'reinforcement CTD' that affects land battles.

Have you modded the game in any way?

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim Victor
    No need to apologize.
    Thank ya

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    I can honestly say I've never heard of a naval battle causing a CTD. There is a known 'reinforcement CTD' that affects land battles.

Have you modded the game in any way?
    No sir, just a straight RTW installation with the 1.3 then 1.5 patches and finally the big RS1.5a installer over top that. The mod's been playing fine until I saved in between turns with this naval battle prompt.

Even if I can get around the error, say by a cheat or editing a .txt file I'd be satisfied. I just wanna finish my war with Carthage . Any ideas?
    Last edited by Kaiserjagen; June 20, 2008 at 11:52 AM.

if you really want to get past this problem and don't care too much about your navy then open the console (press the key directly below ESC) and type auto_win attacker

then press enter and auto resolve the battle. This will mean the rebel attackers will win the fight and you should avoid the CTD

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian_Mossop View Post
    if you really want to get past this problem and don't care too much about your navy then open the console (press the key directly below ESC) and type auto_win attacker

then press enter and auto resolve the battle. This will mean the rebel attackers will win the fight and you should avoid the CTD
    I've already tried this and it still crashes after I attempt to close the battle results sadly.

Citizen

Is it the battle or something else that happens soon afterwards?

Edit preferences.txt.

Change CAMPAIGN_MAP_CAMERA:SKIP_AI_FACTIONS to CAMPAIGN_MAP_CAMERA:FOLLOW_AI_FACTIONS
    Change LABEL_CHARACTERS:FALSE to LABEL_CHARACTERS:TRUE

Load the game.
    Toggle fow off

Try and continue and see what happens on the map (something else may be causing the problem).

I used to be able to record a movie of what was going on with fraps but for some reason when the game CTDs the movie is corrupted. It may be ALEX that's interfering with that as it used to work OK with the RTW EXE.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

Is it the battle or something else that happens soon afterwards?

Edit preferences.txt.

Change CAMPAIGN_MAP_CAMERA:SKIP_AI_FACTIONS to CAMPAIGN_MAP_CAMERA:FOLLOW_AI_FACTIONS
    Change LABEL_CHARACTERS:FALSE to LABEL_CHARACTERS:TRUE

Load the game.
    Toggle fow off

Try and continue and see what happens on the map (something else may be causing the problem).
    The crash occurs after the battle right after I close the battle results by clicking the checkmark. Its my three Roman ships against 1 Carthaginian ship. I always win the battle and it always crashes at the same spot.

I tried changing the preferences.txt to what you recommended with no luck. Same thing happened.

IMPORTANT EDIT: After a second try my campaign is now resuming without a crash Thanks for the help guys.
    Last edited by Kaiserjagen; June 21, 2008 at 01:48 PM.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjagen View Post
    The crash occurs after the battle right after I close the battle results by clicking the checkmark. Its my three Roman ships against 1 Carthaginian ship. I always win the battle and it always crashes at the same spot.

I tried changing the preferences.txt to what you recommended with no luck. Same thing happened.

IMPORTANT EDIT: After a second try my campaign is now resuming without a crash Thanks for the help guys.
    Wierd, but good to hear that your campaign is working again. Don't leave the changes to the preferences.txt as it will slow down the AI moves on the strategy map (as you see all the moves).

Wierd, but good to hear that your campaign is working again. Don't leave the changes to the preferences.txt as it will slow down the AI moves on the strategy map (as you see all the moves).
    yeah I changed it back right after I got past that little hurtle, all is good. Thanks again bud.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

I think you may have only put a bandaid on the problem, and the changes in preferrences.txt convince me of it. The problem with you CTD was never the navies involved, by a corrupt 'character, most likely, somewhere on the map. He's got a corrupt trait, a bad trait, wrong trait, he's stuck, he's become unmovable. This is indicative of a corrupt save. I would, always, in these cases, go back to a prvious save several saves before this happens, and replay the campaign. Otherwise, this character can still cause you grief.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father