Thread: Free cities faction

Default Free cities faction

Anyone thought about making a free cities faction. Its like rebels but they act like a normal faction and you can make diplomatic relations with.

I'm imaging you split the rebel territories between free cities and rebels making sure their territories are separated so they never become too strong in one region and conquer everyone else

An AOR could also be implemented so they can recruit their units based on their territories (eg: milan will be able to recruit milanese units, etc)

One of the dilemmas is: which faction should we take out...remember that it's territories will be taken up by the free cities faction.

Another problem is, what religion will they be? and what about in the middle east...they will rebel if the faction is catholic!!

I would do it but i don't have the necessary time although i could always help making regions or coding.
    I don't want to keep talking so much because it might never come true but i thought it was important so people got an idea of what i was thinking.

So, is anyone interested. What other ideas do you have that could go well with a free cities faction?
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

Senktris's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Free cities faction

That would mean that you have to split the regions with different religions, ie all orthodox regions to one rebel/free city faction, all islamic regions to one and all catholic regions to one, and that would mean 2 faction slots are taken.

(correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know if it's possible to give one faction regions from different religions WITHOUT loosing them to rebellions :hmmm

Brewskii's Avatar Senator

Interesting idea

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Nothing, just wanted to see if you'd open it.

If you perform a diplomatic action with this faction, it would represent a diplomatic action with all the cities it represents. This would be highly awkward. For example, if Bruges, Milan, and Jerusalem are all part of Free Cities, an alliance with this faction would mean you just became allies of Flanders, Milan, and Jerusalem in one swoop.

yeah, im not entirely sure about all this. I got the idea from Roma Surrectum where they do the same thing. When you make an alliance with them it means all the territories become ally with you but thats why they are separated. I think Roma Surrectum made any alliance with them limited to x number of turns.

Anyone else can help me describe how it works in Roma Surrectum since i uninstalled it a while back
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Pretty sure Quark is already working on something like this.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team