Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Eriador Unit Ideas.

The Big Red 1's Avatar Primicerius

Icon3 Eriador Unit Ideas.

After I did my first two threads I was glad how everybody responded. I decided to take my time on all my unit Ideas and let you comment on them like all my threads. Like always i will decide to tell you what I think about one of the hardest to do factions Eriador.

Eriador: Full of rolling hills, green forest and, beautiful hills. War has not been known in this country since the fall of Arnor and they aren't ready for the Darkness that approaches. Luckily the Dunedain Rangers have come and will help Eriador turn It's diverse population into a war machine. Shire or no Shire.

Regular Infantry:

Hobbit Sheriffs: Weak peasant like troops with the little fighting ability yet with a brave heart.

Ruffians of Bree: Though they usually have had too much ale, these troops are gruff grim and hold big clubs(must have Bree)(may charge without orders)

Bandits: even though considered the bad guys these Bandits have decided to take up arms against the foreign invaders with hard leather armor, and long swords these men can hide just about anywhere. (can hide anywhere)

Free People's Spearmen: When there is a call to arms across Eriador many men are willing to join the fight. Even if most of them are just trying to get away from their wives. Has leather armor and spear and shield

Free Peoples' Militia: Same as above except with swords and many other weapons.

Hunters: Eriador as many large tasty animals in it. though I'm not sure these men have ever shot ppl. Have a short bow and knife.

Pike Rabble: Though Eriador is not ready for war it's people are quick to war. Have pikes, and little leather armor.

Rangers: Just the regular old police force with leather armor, and bows and sword. (can hide anywhere) (Hybrid Unit)

Dismounted Greenway Guardsmen Though many in Eriador are oblivious, these men have seen land farther on and are ready. Medium Infantry. Dressed in light mail with a steel shield and sword. Medium Infantry.

[U][B]
    Regular Calvary

Breemen Riders; Men of Bree are always looking for a good fight. Armed with leather armor and spears.(requires Bree)

Ranger Sentries: Armed with a bow and sword these units are fast furious and mean Business.(hybrid missle Cav.)

Greenway Guardsmen: Though many in Eriador are oblivious, these men have seen land farther on and are ready. Medium Calvary armed with a steel helmet, sword, shield and hard light mail armor.

Special/Heavy Infantry

Dunedain Rangers: Deadly Archers with powerful two handed swords(can hide anywhere)(hybrid Unit)

Hobbit Elite Archers: Hobbits were viscous archers against Angmar, plus Hobbits everyday are becoming TOOKISH. Has strong yet light leather armor, with steel pauldrons. and armed with a small bow and sword(weak bow, moderate sword, but Very good defense.

Remnants of Numenor: Not many are left but they have gathered against the darkness for their ppl. Armed with heavy armor and powerful longsword, These men are great shock troops.

Elite Pikemen: Just give the Militia better armor and better pikes and training and you get a powerful force.

Elite Swordsmen: Now in Chainmail and with better training, the once expendable Militias have become powerful. Armed with sword shield and heavy chainmail.

Freedom fighters: More like a last ditch effort these men with large axes and little armor will do anything to defend the prancing Pony.(never retreats unless ordered.)

Hobbit Freedom Fighters: Though most Hobbits are weak and puny some will do whatever they can to defend the Shire. Armed with anything they can get their hands on they are determined.(requires Shire/any hobbit spot)
    (never retreats unless told)

Heavy/Special Cav

Dunedain Cavalry: armed with a longsword yet no armor. Though pure battle savvy makes them an elite and deadly Cavalry.

Dunedain Knights: Though most are thought dead some were simply hiding. Heavy shock knights armed in plate.

Freedom Riders: Though little armored these ppl charge into the thickest onslaught with there Spears and die for what they love. (will not retreat unless told) (may charge without orders)

Brandywine Lancers: Heavier Eriador unit armed with spear, chainmail and fast horses. (like mailed knights in vanilla)

If we get Confirmation about Arnor Reconstruction I will post more Arnor units

Plz give me feedback

P.S. Dale is next.
    Last edited by The Big Red 1; June 19, 2008 at 01:03 PM.
    HONEY I AM HOME

Default Re: Eriador Unit Ideas.

what is the Population of the remaining Dúnedain of Arnor.
    I found this http://www.games-workshop.com.au/gam...eview/good.htm
    Last edited by lordyu; June 18, 2008 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lordyu View Post
    what is the Population of the remaining Dúnedain of Arnor.
    Don't tell me your going to use that to thrash the only real units Eriador has.
    HONEY I AM HOME

The Count(er)'s Avatar Protector Domesticus

well I think the hobbit units should be removed though not only would they rather hide in their homes than defend it(excluding fellowship's hobbits) but ponies are slower than horses and the weight comparison for hobbit to pony and other to horse would be about the same but horses being better would make them even more useless than they already are

and although dunedain rangers shouldn't be units due to numbers I agree Eriador needs them anyways
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaigidel View Post
    everyone but me is wrong.
    Ego's are fun

Quote Originally Posted by The Count(er) View Post
    well I think the hobbit units should be removed though not only would they rather hide in their homes than defend it(excluding fellowship's hobbits) but ponies are slower than horses and the weight comparison for hobbit to pony and other to horse would be about the same but horses being better would make them even more useless than they already are

and although dunedain rangers shouldn't be units due to numbers I agree Eriador needs them anyways
    If I get confirmation on Arnor Reconstruction the Hobbits are gone. And I might delete them now anyways.
    HONEY I AM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Red 1 View Post
    After I did my first two threads I was glad how everybody responded. I decided to take my time on all my unit Ideas and let you comment on them like all my threads. Like always i will decide to tell you what I think about one of the hardest to do factions Eriador.

Eriador: Full of rolling hills, green forest and, beautiful hills. War has not been known in this country since the fall of Arnor and they aren't ready for the Darkness that approaches. Luckily the Dunedain Rangers have come and will help Eriador turn It's diverse population into a war machine. Shire or no Shire.

Regular Infantry:

Hobbit Sheriffs: Weak peasant like troops with the little fighting ability yet with a brave heart.

Ruffians of Bree: Though they usually have had too much ale, these troops are gruff grim and hold big clubs(must have Bree)(may charge without orders)

Bandits: even though considered the bad guys these Bandits have decided to take up arms against the foreign invaders with hard leather armor, and long swords these men can hide just about anywhere. (can hide anywhere)

Free People's Spearmen: When there is a call to arms across Eriador many men are willing to join the fight. Even if most of them are just trying to get away from their wives. Has leather armor and spear and shield

Free Peoples' Militia: Same as above except with swords and many other weapons.

Hunters: Eriador as many large tasty animals in it. though I'm not sure these men have ever shot ppl. Have a short bow and knife.

Pike Rabble: Though Eriador is not ready for war it's people are quick to war. Have pikes, and little leather armor.

Rangers: Just the regular old police force with leather armor, and bows and sword. (can hide anywhere) (Hybrid Unit)

Regular Calvary

Hobbit Sentries: Though hobbits are peaceful folk they make good fast flanking cavalry on their ponies and swords. (weakest yet fastest Calvary in game)

Breemen Riders; Men of Bree are always looking for a good fight. Armed with leather armor and spears.(requires Bree)

Ranger Sentries: Armed with a bow and sword these units are fast furious and mean Business.(hybrid missle Cav.)

Special/Heavy Infantry

Dunedain Rangers: Deadly Archers with powerful two handed swords(can hide anywhere)(hybrid Unit)

Hobbit Elite Archers: Hobbits were viscous archers against Angmar, plus Hobbits everyday are becoming TOOKISH. Has heavy plate armor and armed with a small bow and sword(weak bow, moderate sword, but Very good defense.

Remnants of Numenor: Not many are left but they have gathered against the darkness for their ppl. Armed with heavy armor and powerful longsword, These men are great shock troops.

Elite Pikemen: Just give the Militia better armor and better pikes and training and you get a powerful force.

Elite Swordsmen: Now in Chainmail and with better training, the once expendable Militias have become powerful. Armed with sword shield and heavy chainmail.

Freedom fighters: More like a last ditch effort these men with large axes and little armor will do anything to defend the prancing Pony.(never retreats unless ordered.)

Hobbit Freedom Fighters: Though most Hobbits are weak and puny some will do whatever they can to defend the Shire. Armed with anything they can get their hands on they are determined.(requires Shire/any hobbit spot)
    (never retreats unless told)

Heavy/Special Cav

Dunedain Cavalry: armed with a longsword yet no armor. Though pure battle savvy makes them an elite and deadly Cavalry.

Dunedain Knights: Though most are thought dead some were simply hiding. Heavy shock knights armed in plate.

Freedom Riders: Though little armored these ppl charge into the thickest onslaught with there Spears and die for what they love. (will not retreat unless told) (may charge without orders)

If we get Confirmation about Arnor Reconstruction I will post more Arnor units

Plz give me feedback

P.S. Dale is next.
    I like most of the units names but I think code_night said know Hobbits will be in the game?

Khamûl the Wraith

Quote Originally Posted by LOTR-MOD View Post
    I like most of the units names but I think code_night said know Hobbits will be in the game?
    Well maybe after Code_Knight tells me if arnor will be reconstructed I will delete them.
    HONEY I AM HOME

nice work, getting so many units out of eriador's somewhat limited military potential.
    but i see one problem... hobbits on ponys as fastest cav. in the game? sorry, that just doesn't seem right.
    they might be faster than hvy. cav. but elven riders, rohirim have to be somewhat faster.
    i would rather try to make them realy cheap, on par with spear-militia perhaps.
    and for all hobbits i would recommend to give them low stats but 2 hitpoints, representing their stubborness.

€: regarding dunedain units: my advice would be to keep their numbers very small, like 30 riders on huge, whereas hobbit riders are 120 or something. of course that has to be countered with high stats (nearly elven level) and multiple hitpoints ;D
    Last edited by grinder; June 19, 2008 at 01:15 AM.

The Sixth Wizard's Avatar Semisalis

Hobbits CAN'T RIDE HORSES. It's a fact.

Only Bullroarer, the tallest Hobbit ever, could mount a pony. And ponies don't exactly race around, do they?

Other than that, good unit list!

The Shire should be quite strong, but only when overtly threatened. Spawned armies of heroic Tooks with improvised weapons could "awaken" the Hobbit people. Fear, fire, foes, awake!
    Third Age: Total War! (!!!!)

Glorfindel's Avatar Centenarius

HOBBIT CAVALRY?

somebody kill him! please!

but +rep for you efforts
    Glorfindel, the Lord of the House of the Golden Flower

...Glorfindel was tall and straight, his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of joy, his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music, on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was strength...

... the Elven-wise, lords of the Eldar from beyond the furthest seas. They do not fear the Ringwraiths, for those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both the Seen and the Unseen they have great power...

Iustinianos's Avatar Centenarius

I'd rather see the Hobbit units out. Especially the mounted Hobbits. But for the rest; good list! I like most units. We should be aware that Eriador should only be able to gather militia's and Ranger before they capture powerful cities such as Fornost/Anuminas(if we are setting the reviving-Arnor idea trough that is) After they capture these important cities they could be able to recruit some Gondor like units, especially heavy infantry/cavalry.
    It looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast...

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

Rangers should be also recruitable only from Fornost and Annúminas, from areas where remains of dúnedain probably lived.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

I think the Hobbits should be left in, I mean a Hobbit with a rock is a deadly thing. Although Hobbit cavalry shouldn't be in. Here's my addition to the list:

The Grey Comany (Uber Cavalry. Dunedain)
    Bree Militia (Light armoured, spear armed)
    Archet Guards (Light Armoured, armed with bows and spears)

Update.

Hobbit Calvary: GONE!!!!!!!!

Greenway Guardsmen: ADDED!

Brandywine Lancers: Added!

Thx for the ideas CCnllply. I will see if they need to be added.
    HONEY I AM HOME

Kaas's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    I think the Hobbits should be left in, I mean a Hobbit with a rock is a deadly thing.
    :hmmm::hmmm: Hobbit Rock Throwers... (weak archer unit, with low stats but decent morale)

the whole Hobbit thing is a bit unrealistic

...Glorfindel was tall and straight, his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of joy, his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music, on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was strength...

... the Elven-wise, lords of the Eldar from beyond the furthest seas. They do not fear the Ringwraiths, for those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both the Seen and the Unseen they have great power...

In the map where are the regions of this faccion because in LOTR=Tw the beornids was part of eriador or free peoples

Iustinianos's Avatar Centenarius

It is rumoured that there where some Hobbit-archers at the wars with Angmar. If there is going to be a Hobbit unit it should be a archer units. It's the most realistic choice and truest to the books.
    It looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast...

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

Hobbits were able to throw rocks with great accuracy and they had good sight so if there must be hobbit unit, it certainly is archer unit.

they new how to throw rocks but not as a military profession

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast