Thread: mythology_tw research thread.

Default mythology_tw research thread.

mythology_tw research thread.

i don’t know too much about the late bronze age/early iron age especially as far as the greeks go, so i hope some of you can help me decide how to represent the era in an RTW context for the mod mythology_tw.

i am planning on starting the mod at around 600bc or whatever time you chaps think best represents the era. so i need to know what kind of warfare was mainly used then? did the greeks use the phalanx formation and did they have plain undecorated shields.

how far had they expanded by that time? was their greek states in asia minor and italy etc.

what were the main empires of the day? i know much of the ancient world was tribes and city states which i cannot represent in the game, so i am looking for collective names to loosely represent areas e.g. italic city states, and mesopotamia perhaps.

was Sheba and Solomon around at that time ~ what style of warfare did they or the Arabs and Judaic peoples adopt.

--------------------------------

now about mythology itself. i have conflicting ideas about this, some say that atlantis was much earlier and well before hoplite style greeks etc. other sources say that they were defeated by the amazons, which puts them at the correct time for the mod.

ok anything you got on the empires, peoples and states of those times, throw it at me! maps especially.

thanks
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Default Re: mythology_tw research thread.

The greek fighters of the Late Mycenean/Mythological era

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

nice pic, thanks! i thought they would be much more plain than that, but i am glad they are highly decorated ~ makes for cooler units in the mod.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

These are the Myceneans.They were the fighter s of the Trojan war and heoroes of a lot of Greek Myths.

I think it will really cool to place the timeframe of the era from 1500 to 1150 BC, and in that manner to use these warriors!!!
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

i read somewhere that 600 bc was the suggested time, ...and as i want hoplites etc too.

so at what time can we have both!

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    i read somewhere that 600 bc was the suggested time, ...and as i want hoplites etc too.

so at what time can we have both!
    In our "Mythology" time we can do whatever we want

You could make "Heroic" units then inspired by these guys
    Luís de Camões

Blau&Gruen's Avatar Civitate

i am planning on starting the mod at around 600bc or whatever time you chaps think best represents the era. so i need to know what kind of warfare was mainly used then? did the greeks use the phalanx formation and did they have plain undecorated shields.
    phalanx : yes
    shields : decorated (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:H...ungen_1471.jpg)
    how far had they expanded by that time? was their greek states in asia minor and italy etc.
    Expansion:
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ancient_colonies.PNG)
    - Asia Minor : yes
    - Italy : yes
    what were the main empires of the day? i know much of the ancient world was tribes and city states which i cannot represent in the game, so i am looking for collective names to loosely represent areas e.g. italic city states, and mesopotamia perhaps.
    Empires around 600:
    - Neo Babylonian E.
    - Median E.
    - Lydian E.
    - Egypt
    Greece
    - city states
    Italy
    - greek colonies
    - Tusci
    - various "tribal" alliances
    - Rom-Latium
    Hallstatt Culture
    - various "tribal" states (historically not documented)
    France, Spain mediterrean coast
    - various "tribal" states (historically only in traces documented)
    - greek, phoenician, tusci colonies and tradepost
    France, Spain inland (various hallstatt and iberic cultures)
    North Africa
    - phoenican colonies
    - local tribal societies (badly documented)
    was Sheba and Solomon around at that time ~ what style of warfare did they or the Arabs and Judaic peoples adopt.
    No, Juda was a client kingdom of the Babylonians (at 600);
    Neo-Babylonian E. had contacts into central arabian regions (Teman)
    - various arabian "tribal" states

It is an extreme simplification but I hope it helps to get a bit a picture of the "grand theater". We do unfortunately not know much about many cultures and societies especially when they are outside of the focus of the higher organized societies that left us something written. So, you may find a good book in the library about the Iron Age in general. It is a bit hard for a game Mod to feature cultures we know only through their material remains but else we have not much in the hands. You may end up with a lot of "free factions", "barbarians" and "rebels", despite the fact that there was a history which has slipted us unfortunately through the fingers like sand.
    Last edited by Blau&Gruen; June 17, 2008 at 07:19 PM.
    Patronized by Ozymandias
    Je bâtis ma demeure
    Le livre des questions
    Un étranger avec sous le bras un livre de petit format

golemzombiroboticvacuumcleanerstrawberrycream

thanks for the info blau&gruen

apparently the persian empire was around at 600 bc [so i have been told] so i may have to go earlier, around 900 or so.
    edit; just seen the map ~ that looks almost right, i dont want rome in it though as i would have to destrpy it, instead of playing the mod properly lols.

the median empire will be represented as i can’t miss it being so close to colchis, babylonia would be nice too [is that assyria?].

the halstalt and iberians will be a loose confederation perhaps called the celtoi and will have a lot of rebelling towns going on all the time or else it would be a massive empire.

the greek colonies will be there, are the tusci the etruscans [as i want them in it]?

phonician empire is a good idea too, in N africa and palestine, yes?

axim i will do to. hmm actually aithiopia or kushites at that time i think.

btw i am glad we don’t know too much about the era, research takes longer than modding the units.

the main thing is as you say to get the feel of the era.
    Last edited by Amorphos; June 18, 2008 at 04:48 PM.

Agisilaos's Avatar GREECE - ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

Nice post Blau&Gruen! great picture also friend Neoptoleme.
    as you say Quetz and i agree the main thing is to get the feel of the era. that is enough for most guys here i think
    Macedones were, are and will always be Greeks
    Under the Noble Patronage of jimkatalanos and proud patron of Agis Tournas and cocobongoclub-DJ
    Terrae Expugnandae, Imperial Might, Mythology, Complete Byzantine Roster, Ruins of glory, Sparta 3, Hegemonia City States, Roma Surrectum 2,300 Warlords of Sparta, Sparta 3.5, Classical Age Total War
    watch this
    , this and this
    Τακτική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις αν υπάρχει κάτι που μπορείς να κάνεις.
    Στρατηγική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις όταν δεν υπάρχει τίποτα να κάνεις.

Thanks my friend Agisilaos!

I agree with your statement!
    Luís de Camões

so would we all agree on 850 bc for a starting date, so that hoplites can be incorporated via marian reforms kins thing around 700bc?

then we can find a map and more pics for unit types.

Agisilaos's Avatar GREECE - ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

@ Quetz: i agree
    @neoptolemos: Dystyxws xasame kai apopse alla toylaxiston paiksame kalytera apo oti sta alla 2 paixnidia.
    Macedones were, are and will always be Greeks
    Under the Noble Patronage of jimkatalanos and proud patron of Agis Tournas and cocobongoclub-DJ
    Terrae Expugnandae, Imperial Might, Mythology, Complete Byzantine Roster, Ruins of glory, Sparta 3, Hegemonia City States, Roma Surrectum 2,300 Warlords of Sparta, Sparta 3.5, Classical Age Total War
    watch this
    , this and this
    Τακτική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις αν υπάρχει κάτι που μπορείς να κάνεις.
    Στρατηγική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις όταν δεν υπάρχει τίποτα να κάνεις.

Blau&Gruen's Avatar Civitate

apparently the persian empire was around at 600 bc [so i have been told]
    Persia was rather small around 600 BC and located in southwest Iran.
    babylonia would be nice too [is that assyria?].
    The neo-babylonian empire included main territories of the former assyrian empire, which had been destroyed by the Babylonians and the Medes.
    are the tusci the etruscans [as i want them in it]?
    Yes, they are.

Various maps with place names can be found here:
    http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/map_s...s.html#general
    Last edited by Blau&Gruen; June 19, 2008 at 03:46 AM.
    Patronized by Ozymandias
    Je bâtis ma demeure
    Le livre des questions
    Un étranger avec sous le bras un livre de petit format

golemzombiroboticvacuumcleanerstrawberrycream

B&G

Babylon would be a nice addition ~ if we take the map that far east, not sure if that would mean adding in loads of extra factions. i’ll wait to see what our mapper does if we can get a mapper that is.

thanks for the list of maps, that should do the trick!

i will do the etruscans, just googling for images now.