Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Map

Icon11 My Map

Hey guys, this is my map i'm making for ASSYRIA:TOTAL WAR please give my your opinion of the map and any hints I can use to make it better.
    (I know it looks alot like the EB map but this is what they pretty much wanted.)

Default Re: My Map

map_heights -

ground_types -
    (havn't started yet still waiting for the go)

Looks good . I think your doing things the right way by making a set of base tgas and then building them up (making sure the map loads is the main thing). Just make sure you make small changes test after each change (backing things up) cos if you make a bunch of changes at once and it doesnt load you dont know where the problem is.

One thing I couldnt tell from your pictures but it looks as though your making the nile river and its delta using the sea ground type rather than making a river in map_features. Just be careful on the delta if the land on either side is too close the map_regions will just join them making a land bridge, also you cant put a bridge across the sea where as you can a river (which can be of strategic importance).

Thanks for the tip hanibal i havn't gotten into that yet.

I'd love to see the map when you've finished it looks nice. I'd not thought of making a river that way and I'd be interested to see how it turns out (it is a good idea, you could have ships traveling on the river)

That's what i've wanted in in RTW a long time.
    I've question - Is all the files for a map TGA? Except for text files. I'm pretty sure they all are in RTW imperial campaign.

You can make landbridges at certain points along the river where both troops and ships can cross.

Really how do you do that? I'd think if people can cross ships can't.

It's a phenomenom called "landbridges" and is a kind of cheat on the engine. It works because the map is generated from pixels and if you have water and land pixels like this:

then the game thinks that the troops can move diagonally from one green tile to another and ships can move diagonally from one black tile to another.
    Last edited by Thor the Bassist; June 19, 2008 at 02:46 PM.

Oh yea, i've seen that in maps before. I jsut thought they were mistakes.

They crept up on me first time I saw them because suddenly all these armies were jumping over the sea. If you have any tiles like this currently in your map then you'll get them and you may want to add some where you want crossing points. It certainly improves the use of ships.

Oh, wow that's cool. Hey, Thor you wouldn't happen to know what map RPG value in descr_regions is would you?

Benz282's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by anelious phyros View Post
    Oh, wow that's cool. Hey, Thor you wouldn't happen to know what map RPG value in descr_regions is would you?
    Map RBG value is the color of the region in map_regions. When defining regions in map_regions, you have to pick a different RBG value for each region (so the game doesn't get confused). In descr_regions, the RBG value shows up to tell the game where the settlement/region name is located on the map.

For example, if you take the RBG value for Latium in vanilla, and switch it with Judea, then "Rome" will show up as "Jerusalem" in-game.

That's what I thought but i'm making my own map so how do I find out the RPG of the color of my region.

just pick your own. whatever colour you use in map_regions input that RGB value in the descr_regions.

As for your other question all images are TGA's. The land bridges are what I was talking about with the nile delta.

To be honest I think you may run into problems with the delta. Maybe you could have the main river designated as a sea, and then draw the delta in with actual rivers in map_features

Sorry, i see that you forgot to add the islands of crete and rhodos.

@hannibal, but how do I find out what the RBG of a color is?
    @Rex, yea, i've noticed that I havn't started on any details yet.

Use the colour picker tool in GIMP or PS should give you an RGB value

Thank you so much! Finally I might be able to play it on my game. After some more tweaking.

Hannibal Smith thank-u for you help man.
    Pic - (finally understand what you were saying) i'm going to start editing after I get back from the hospital.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast