Thread: Regions CTD

Default Regions CTD

If a region controls an area that is water will it crash or not work?

Athkara's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Regions CTD

Could you clarify your question a bit, the wording's confusing. Are you asking if region colors in map_regions can extend into areas that are defined as sea in the map_heights? If you are, the answer is yea; though I'm not sure to what extent.

Maybe if you could post what you did when you got the ctd?
    260 BC: Asia ton Barbaron - submod for EB ------- Yuezhi/Wusun historian and mapper
    Asia ton Barbaron Map Preview I
    Asia ton Barbaron Map Preview II

Sorry. I mean in map_regions if a region controls area ove water will it crash?
    So yea it will crash?

No. It will not. Just as long as there is a region for water in the water, I do not think it will crash. At least it does not for me.

From the mouth of the one and only Casca... (If you like the play Julius Caesar or just think Casca is awesome, add this to your sig.)

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

I've found you can actually get pretty sloppy with the regions design and the map will load, so long as you don't have strat pixels of off colors floating around. So yeah, you can control water and not have the game crash.

However, as far as how this affects the game, it really is meaningless except on the radar map, you'll see that a certain region's influence extends into the water.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Okay thanks, I've never been good at region making but i think i'm starting to understand it better.

If your just starting, best to make sure you make the regions as close to heights as possible just so you get used to it loading without CTD's, then experiment with just how far you can get sloppy with the regions.

Good luck with your maps.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure just by hearing this i've solved two regions problems.

And the tga corrected regions will probably get rid of any region pixels over water. So compare that with your map_regions.tga.

Oh cool, thanks for the tip.

Yeah, the game will actually load the map from Corrected Regions, not from Map_Regions. So what I do is save corrected regions as map regions then delete corrected regions as it regenerates, like map.rwm.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

I've got kinda newbish question - can you make a thread in the mapping forum that shows the map your working on just to see what other people think and maybe some tips?

Quote Originally Posted by CaesarVincens View Post
    Yeah, the game will actually load the map from Corrected Regions, not from Map_Regions. So what I do is save corrected regions as map regions then delete corrected regions as it regenerates, like map.rwm.
    Are you talking about Rome Total War? I've been doing mapping for a while now and am not familiar with anything called, corrected regions. Is this placed in a separate folder?

It appears next to data and miles and stuff. Right inside the Rome' Total War Folder.

Ah, I've seen that and just thought that was something left over from the games creation. Didn't realize it actually did anything. Thought the game information had to be within the Data folder in order for it to affect the look of the game.

Edit: On thinking, perhaps its because I do my maps through either a provincial campaign or a mod folder that I don't have to worry about corrected regions.
    Last edited by Ramashan; June 18, 2008 at 04:32 PM.

Corrected regions affects modfolder, and I think provincial campaigns, too.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

Quote Originally Posted by CaesarVincens View Post
    Corrected regions affects modfolder, and I think provincial campaigns, too.
    Hmm, I should look into that. Because this is the first I've heard of its affects on the game. Or, is it something that just gets created on start up and re-creates itself every time?

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Anytime a new map.rwm file is generated, so is a new corrected_regions.tga, even for a modfolder or provincial campaign, it is the accurate map_regions you should be using, the game will still run from your map_regions, but it may or may not be as accurate as corrected_regions.tga.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein