Thread: Experiencing a CTD

Lyrondor's Avatar Libertus

Default Experiencing a CTD

Hi,

I am getting a CTD in my current (and first) game. By the way I never played Stainless Steel before, nor even started any of the Kingdoms campaigns (I bought Kingdoms mostly to try this mod, since it was a second hand copy, I thought why not). With that said I must say now that this mod is spectacular, and I thought that it was rock solid (stable) but now that CTD is annoying.

I am playing as the Kingdom of France, and it is the year 1174, in winter. For the very first time, at the Turn I am in, the Kingdom of England decided to attack me, and their target is my barely guarded (don't ask) capital, Paris. I thought "alright, you want to play it tough, let's go". I saw their attack coming but due to my financial problems I decided not to pay too much attention to their Forts at my northern territorial borders. Since I got only a handful of troops in Paris along with a Governor and a General I decided to start sending reinforcements, troops from all of my other towns and forts in my possession. I made those troops travel the further they could in one Turn, approaching them towards Paris fast enough so that at least one stack will be there the next Turn.

In the meantime I also wanted to get rid of a small Rebel army at my newly conquered town of Dijon. I wanted to attack that group of Rebels that very same Turn before going to the next one where I would inevitably confront the English troops. So what I did was to select my Governor in Dijon and just slightly position him outside of the town so that I could recruit Mercenaries to help the cause. I then recruited the Mercenaries, and took some of my own Spearmen from Dijon, and moved my Governor back in the town. My newly formed force of Mercenaries and French Spearmen was ready to assault the Rebels and push them away... and that's exactly where the problem occurs. Well actually I should say occurred, with a past tense. Because what I am about to explain below I only saw it once, and ever since it crashed the way I'll explain it, I cannot load that saved game without it immediately crashing.

So, when I selected my stack of Mercenaries + Spearmen and then right-clicked on the Rebels stack what happened was quite strange, it didn't immediately CTD'ed. Indeed, before the actual crash the sounds and the music started looping, then the game's performance dropped to the point where one could say that it was a slide show (I.E around one frame per second or two seconds). Then after the sounds bug and the performance drop the monitor lost the video signal (orange light), and then I heard a "beep" in the background, it was clearly from Windows (application error beeping sound).

As I said, it behaved like that before it crashed. But ever since that crash each time I try to load my manual Saved Game it then CTD's immediately with a black screen. Now, the interesting part of all that is that if I load my Automatic Saved Game, it works. But I don't want to risk anything with that save, I think it might get corrupted if I click on the Turn button or if I try to do anything at all. I can safely say though that just loading it works, and the manual Saved Game I made during that very same Turn doesn't work (to reiterate, the game automatically saved when the English troops attacked Paris, during the Turn's process when the England icon appeared, when all of the nations did their Turn, and when that very Turn was completed and it was mine to move troops around and so on I decided to manually save it as well).

I looked at the system.log file, and it doesn't mention anything other than missing files, curiously. It is however recommended to post the last ten lines of that file or so here so here it is:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    02:30:17.437 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/TEXTURES/_M2_MAIN_MENU.TGA is missing
    02:30:17.593 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/buttons_composite2.tga.dds is missing
    02:30:17.593 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/slider_composite.tga.dds is missing
    02:30:17.593 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/slider_composite2.tga.dds is missing
    02:30:17.593 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold2.tga.dds is missing
    02:30:17.593 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/text_border.tga.dds is missing
    02:30:17.593 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/yellow_highlight.tga.dds is missing
    02:30:17.593 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_selected.tga.dds is missing
    02:30:17.593 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_black.tga.dds is missing
    02:30:17.593 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/_M2_Selection_Glow.tga.dds is missing
    02:30:17.593 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/unit_card.tga.dds is missing
    02:30:17.593 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/icons.tga.dds is missing

And if it can help I've attached both my Automatic Saved Game and manual Saved Game in this thread, if it can help.

Finally I would like to mention that I installed this modification as follows:

1) Installed M2:TW
    2) Installed Patch 1.02
    3) Installed Patch 1.03
    4) Installed Kingdoms
    5) Installed Kingdoms Patch 1.05
    6) Installed Stainless Steel 6.0 Part 1 of 2
    7) Installed Stainless Steel 6.0 Part 2 of 2
    8) Installed Stainless Steel Patch 6.1
    9) Installed Byg's Grim Reality III's latest Patch properly (file from the sub modifications thread, downloaded a zip file attached to the thread)
    10) Started a new SS game in the Early Era Campaign

I made absolutely no personal tweaks to the files. I selected both Real Combat & Real Recruitment and Byg's Grim Reality III before the 6.1 Patch installation (which is why I also installed Byg's Grim Reality III's latest patch from its respective thread before starting a new game).

I hope that I've posted enough information.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Lyrondor; June 17, 2008 at 03:37 AM.

Lyrondor's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Experiencing a CTD

Well, guys, I guess that it was a half-alarm.

I took a small risk, or perhaps none in fact, by trying to resume game-play from the Automatic saved game, and it worked. I don't know why exactly it crashed, but from that Automatic save I could attack the Rebels near Dijon, and I won that battle.

Now the rest however is alarming to say the least. I knew that the English sent quite a nice stack of troops to Paris, so as I said I sent in some reinforcements, around a total of 1,200 troops from my other towns and forts, separated in four stacks all converging to Paris for the next Turn or the one after. I thought "alright, those reinforcements will help, if not actually retake my beloved capital"... but alas, I seriously underestimated the A.I in this mod, for it acts like I've never seen it act before in vanilla M2:TW.

When I was sure that all my available troops were sent and Dijon was clear from Rebels I pressed the Turn button... and then it was the English's Turn. You guys can try guessing what they did for a second. Well they sent half-stacks, armies I should say to actually intercept my nearest reinforcements nearby Paris, which included my main stack (about a thousand troops, and a General). So my reinforcements had to fight a battle that entirely excluded Paris in the deal, and I lost all of my battles, forcing all of my reinforcements to Rheims, which is probably going to be the next town in the English's list.

I feel quite abandoned right now, not to mention that the Pope doesn't seem to care about this case. The English had an equal appreciation from the Pope compared to the one he expressed towards me. So I thought "ok, in the next Turn or two the English will know about the Pope's dissatisfaction of their Act of War against the French", but, alas. And I had good relations with his nation during the elections (it said "Outstanding" relations). Now I don't know what to do. About 70% of my total available infantry is Light, some Medium, no Heavy types at all. My Cavalry mostly consists of Light as well, and my Generals and their body guards. I have barely any Archers, and those I have are also of Light category.

I have tons of allies, and not only with trade rights, but with actual alliances. I wonder if there's a way to ask them to help me or to "force" them into a war against England to help me take my lost territory and town (soon to be in plural form) back. If I don't get Paris back, it will be Rheims' turn, and if Rheims fall I'll be left with two forts and two other towns, and then they will surround me, and if no one helps me, I'll be history.
    Last edited by Lyrondor; June 17, 2008 at 04:50 AM.