Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Battle Map Cities Suggestions.

Icon3 Battle Map Cities Suggestions.

Thread for if anyone comes up with ideas for the incorporation of battle map cities into TATW.

-historical battles, textures, etc...
    Last edited by Blackheart1323; June 18, 2008 at 11:22 PM. Reason: To make the topic a little more open.

Default Re: I'm tired of the defeatist attitude on here!

More power to you, please do report back your findings!

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Well tbh, Frodo had a massive advantage when facing the impossible that we didn't: he had a book that 100% for certain ended in him winning.

But yeah, optimism is fun

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart1323 View Post
    'there are good things in this world Mr.Frodo, like custom battle maps and they're worth fighting for.'

I want you to ponder on those words of a small hobbit spoken to his companion, both shorter than a man's waste, as the hateful reckless evil of all middle earth stood in front of them before you continue reading my post.

Now I want you to picture yourself on the battle map defending the walls of helm's deep or assaulting minas tirith...perhaps throwing ladders upon the black gate.

I know there has been threads asking about will there be custom battle maps before. I participated in them. This is not a thread asking if there will be custom battle maps on TATW, this one telling you there will be and deciding how we are going to make this come about. I have been told it is hopeless "Impossible...hard-coded..bla bla blah!" ENOUGH!! You know who else faced impossible? Frodo Baggins! He looked impossible in the face and he laughed. <--frodo<---impossible

Now let's get rid of the defeatist attitude. I know the great modders on this project are busy taking care of important features of the mod so I will personally take charge of the task of harassing CA into releasing a tool to do this.

I will visit their forums, mail their HQ, show up at their HQ's and goddamnit, they will release a tool to do so. This mod could be legendary with this feature...golden legend. Immortalized. So who will help me?

What say you?!

Frodo Baggins was a fiction character. Things don't work like that in real life. The reason people say its impossible to make custom settlements is because it is. Modders don't have a tool to make custom settlement and even if they did it would take a lot of work and would most likely take months if not years to create.

The Big Red 1's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    Frodo Baggins was a fiction character. Things don't work like that in real life. The reason people say its impossible to make custom settlements is because it is. Modders don't have a tool to make custom settlement and even if they did it would take a lot of work and would most likely take months if not years to create.
    That's a false statement some people are getting pretty close with third party software. So the truth is there is no "defeatist attitude." There could possible be Custom Battle maps like this. And maybe maps with these settlements on them!!!! It's just a matter of when, not how, when.
    HONEY I AM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Red 1 View Post
    That's a false statement some people are getting pretty close with third party software. So the truth is there is no "defeatist attitude." There could possible be Custom Battle maps like this. And maybe maps with these settlements on them!!!! It's just a matter of when, not how, when.
    I don't see how my statement is false

Frodo Baggins was a fiction character
    Thats true

Things don't work like that in real life
    Thats true

The reason people say its impossible to make custom settlements is because it is
    Thats true

Modders don't have a tool to make custom settlement and even if they did it would take a lot of work and would most likely take months if not years to create
    And thats true. So what part is false?

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    I don't see how my statement is false

Thats true

Thats true

Thats true

And thats true. So what part is false?
    That last part....give me a moment.

Look through here... http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=148754

And here's just some cool images of their cities. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122992
    Last edited by The Big Red 1; June 17, 2008 at 08:42 AM.
    HONEY I AM HOME

WOW! Thats class can't believe I've never seen it before

The Count(er)'s Avatar Protector Domesticus

well we never said that it's impossible and will always be impossible we were just saying we have no way of doing it for the time being and if anyone can figure out how to make it work that would be amazing but we never had a defeatist attitude here
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaigidel View Post
    everyone but me is wrong.
    Ego's are fun

But if CA released a tool. Would that solve the problem? There's still months left on this mod, correct?

B. Ward's Avatar ★★★★ RockNRolla ★★★★

And here's just some cool images of their cities. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122992
    those are only custom battlemaps...not sure they are working in a campaign. i believe many have tried custom settlement tiles only to get ctd. to produce the custom settlements you will need for this mod is currently "impossible" as there is no tool for it. with those settlements in those links, those are nothing more than buildings placed on a custom battlemap. if you look all the structures used in those custom battlemaps are all vanilla.

OK, the tool thing isn't a dead end. CA listens to it's players. They are very nice people. Again..do you think if we got a tool it would solve problem?:hmmm:

it would be a step. but i have my reservations about a tool, as there are other copyright issues associated with some of the file formats used by the engine. hence is why we have community created tools for the .mesh files. modders would still need to create these new settlements and test to ensure they would even work correctly ingame. it wouldn't even be a matter of adding new settlement models, but also the pathfinding and world files....as wolfslayer and Argantonio have done some work on these files. lots and i mean lots of work is required, even after a "tool" is created or released.

Bdotward, do you think Frodo didn't have reservations? Huh?! Did his reservations stop him?

as a modder, i'm just letting you know the obstacles involved

Good, we will feel all the better about ourselves when we cross them.

Quote Originally Posted by bdotward View Post
    those are only custom battlemaps...not sure they are working in a campaign. i believe many have tried custom settlement tiles only to get ctd. to produce the custom settlements you will need for this mod is currently "impossible" as there is no tool for it. with those settlements in those links, those are nothing more than buildings placed on a custom battlemap. if you look all the structures used in those custom battlemaps are all vanilla.
    If you read the first thread they are trying 3rd party software to get the files on Battle maps. It's only a matter of time isn't it?
    HONEY I AM HOME

Erunion Telcontar's Avatar Senator

"A sword day, a red day, Ere the sun rises!"

Hah! The Rohirrim were unafraid to go hurtling headfirst into a pile of a few hundred thousand orcs! We can do a little thing like hoping that this third-party software will actually work...

{More poorly used quotations, brought to you by the Governement of Quotation mis-use...)

+Rep for anyone who can translate! (The above)
    Auta i lóme! Aurë entuluva!

wow looks good I hope they can find a way

Khaműl the Wraith

Glorfindel's Avatar Centenarius

there's some good in this world and it's worth fighting for

this is the greatest thing that i have heard

^this has not anything to do with the mod but i believe nonetheless
    Glorfindel, the Lord of the House of the Golden Flower

...Glorfindel was tall and straight, his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of joy, his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music, on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was strength...

... the Elven-wise, lords of the Eldar from beyond the furthest seas. They do not fear the Ringwraiths, for those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both the Seen and the Unseen they have great power...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast