Thread: french or cav experts help!

Default french or cav experts help!

Could someone please help me understand something about units in general...im kind of a noob, only beat the game about 3 times using the english, turks, and teutonic order

I was about to use the french because i heard they have the best cav in the west. I went on to test how they do against other factions. Lancers are supposed to be the best french knights with descriptions like "the ultimate knights blah blah". yet they do POORLY against even the english knights! how can that be? The english already have superior infantry and archers, their mounted english knights can beat french lancer on a 1 vs 1 battle too? I must be missing something here. can anyone one help me understand this?

Thanks!

Default Re: french or cav experts help!

after a few more rounds of testing, it seems that the english knights can beat every cav unit that the french has. wwhhhhaaa??? best cav in the west???? arg! can anyone tell me why the french cav suck?

Lancers are not the best cavalery unit in vanilla. In kingdoms its worse, lusted and the others have made lancers very weak for a full-plate-unit. you can give them more attack or armor in the EDU (what I've done). But noble knights or chivalric knights are a little better than english knights, they should beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackader View Post
    Lancers are not the best cavalery unit in vanilla. In kingdoms its worse, lusted and the others have made lancers very weak for a full-plate-unit. you can give them more attack or armor in the EDU (what I've done). But noble knights or chivalric knights are a little better than english knights, they should beat them.

really?? then how can the description of the french be sonmething like "the best cav in the west"?? what are the french good for then?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackader View Post

btw.....how do i give them more attack or armor??

You go in MTW/mods/kingdom great campaign/data/export-descr-unit folder. Then search for "lancers", you will see the stats of the unit: attack, armor, cost, morale... Change the attack number for example, or the armor number.

thank you blackader

so btw, no one can offer any logical explanation on why moders like to make the french useless?

because like as not they attacked then ran for their life, especially when confrounted with the war bow
    For King and Country
    Every one I give you
    King George his most Britanic Majesty

The fighting 95th, First in the field and the last out of the Fray

Why don't they have a Prussian Flag instead of German

so btw, no one can offer any logical explanation on why moders like to make the french useless?
    How did I weaken the french then? care to explain? I never made any french unit stats weaker from the vanilla ones. Infact I added new units for France from Kingdoms so I actually strengthened their roster

Cheers,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; June 21, 2008 at 10:04 AM.

here's what i think happened. for example, in the vanilla one, lancers had attack 13, defense 16, charge bonus 8. same with gendarmes and some other main cav that the french depend on.

granded that other cav throughout the game also got their powers reduced. just by lookin at the numbers, the french cav, which is supposed to be superior to all others in the west, are just average. its like whta Blackader said, for a full plate unit, lancers somehow are made not that strong by lusted and others. didnt you say something like lusted helped balance the units or something?

anyway, its no big deal. IMO, balancing is not about making every faction having the same average units, but its about letting every faction have its own almost unique strengths. for example, let the english longbow be really superior, while letting the french have the best cav. and I do know that it is already kinda that way as it is, i was just hoping that the at least one of the french cav can actually beat the english cav in a hand to hand.

and sorry for the looooon reply to explain what i think

Okay.. I did toy with the idea of giving France better cavalry in the teutonic update, but never decided on it in the end. I will look at these units for the next update and I will see what I can do. Right now though I am to busy with adding Norway so it will have to wait! Will let you know when I have made progress on this.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave scarface View Post
    Right now though I am to busy with adding Norway so it will have to wait!Dave
    woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by dave scarface View Post
    Okay.. I did toy with the idea of giving France better cavalry in the teutonic update, but never decided on it in the end. I will look at these units for the next update and I will see what I can do. Right now though I am to busy with adding Norway so it will have to wait! Will let you know when I have made progress on this.

Dave
    oh no problem. actually, is norway one of the factions in kingdom? I dont even remember them

Norway is in the Britannia campaign. The held the islands off Northern Scotland and the Isle of Man

hmmm, well it seems to me that in the map on this game, it does not really cover any land own by the Norwegians. the part of the Scandinavian island in the game is Swedish is it not?

Swenden and Norway split the cutoff version of the Scandanavian penninsula. Norway is represented, but its cutoff and much smaller than Sweden on this map.