Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Civil War Total war

Icon1 American Civil War Total war

This is a good idea, the faccion are the confederacion, the nort, texas, etc
    What do yo say?

Kshatriya Warrior's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: American Civil War Total war

Click here, Name calling not needed. I've been here quite a while, and did not know this existed. Please try giving the new guys a helping hand (which you did)... without berating them for their newness. Thank you. ~NobleNick

HERE!
    Last edited by NobleNick; June 18, 2008 at 06:39 PM.

Heh just because i am trying to devlope a mod doesnt mean he cannot persue in making his own.

Kshatriya Warrior's Avatar Tiro

I am sorry, I overreacted, next time look at the existing forums.

bingster088's Avatar Tiro

Isn't the Civil war part of the Empire total war timeframe???
    Assistant to the regional manager.

1700 to early 1800s.Hmmm.

Have each state be its own faction.
    With "The Confederacy" and "The Union"
    factions serving as a king of papal faction without any cities or units, just sending orders.

Allow an option to allow states to switch sides, or declare independence from both.
    (At a massive cost to citizen and army morale/loyalty)

Add the british empire as a faction if certain events happen.
    (Like the north loses its major cotton production)
    And the french if that happens too.
    Mexico+Canada should also be present, with their goals for victory being
    "Take Alaska"
    or
    "Take back Texas"

Having each state would seem good,but this would take away the solidaraty of the armies(you wouldnt see texas units i nthe army of northern virginia and so forth) really this would make Corps and Brigades really weak.Texas by itself wasent involed much in the civil war yes they did send troops to the trans missimpi army and the army of the nothern virginia but for the most part all of the texas troops remained in texas do to poor governer. same with al lthe uper northern states aswell. only way having each state playable that would seem true to history is if you played it by hotseat campaign.

Mexico wasent in the posistion to start a war the the US, or CS at the time. they were dealing with a post civil war of their own and then the french in the late 60s,and the introduction of the empire of mexico.

Canada, is canda and probally wouldnt fight if it had to. aswell as being under a faulty british control.

though british are viable, but the whole state by state would make armies like solid so you wouldnt see a battle on the scale of Fredericksburg, as there wouldnt be any solidarity.(also the british econmy would beable to steamroll the US with it being splintered unless you made it unrealsticlly weak to bring balance)

if someone were to make this mod, i'd wait to see if E:TW has a great support for hotseat in order for this mod to be used at its best.
    Last edited by thePassenger; July 07, 2008 at 05:31 PM.

Jwb187's Avatar Semisalis

lol having each state as a faction!!!!!!!

I could play as Missouri, lol because I live here...lol

I think that having each state as a faction is kind of a crazy idea, but thats just my opinion.

KoS's Avatar Dux Limitis

Having each individual state as a faction is a good idea, I would say, because it reflects the way it actually was. Perhaps in the first or second turn, each state, including the one you're playing as, has the option of joining either the Union or the Confederacy, because nearly every state produced soldiers for both sides.

All the states, North and South, would share certain standard types of units, like common infantry, artillery, cavalry, etc., but each state also has unit types specific to that state... but if a state joins either side, then that state's unique units would be available to the entire faction that it has joined. So say that, for example, Alabama joined the Confederacy. All of the Confederate settlements could then train the units unique to Alabama. Similarly, if Illinois (my home state, lol) joined the Union, then any Union army could include the Illinois-specific units. I think that would give a sense of diversity to the armies of both sides, despite each state being an individual faction.

I think there should be anywhere from one (tiny states like Rhode Island) to maybe seven or eight (for huge states like Texas) settlements in each state. The Union or Confederacy papal-style faction would give you an amount of cash to start with, and a fixed amount every, say, six turns or so. You would be responsible for maintaining finances, developing settlements, recruiting armies, and defending the borders of your state... and your state only. The Union/Confederacy would assign missions, rewards, penalties, gifts and the like, as the Senate in RTW or the Council of Nobles in MIITW does, but they wouldn't be so much factions as alliances of the independent state-factions. However, once you have chosen your side, you cannot attack another state that is your ally, kind of like the Roman families at the beginning of the RTW campaign.

Also, you would have control over the armies in your territory, but nowhere outside your state... unless the army was in the territory of the enemy, because whatever state you are playing as can control all armies in enemy lands. So if you were playing as, say, Virginia, and you had sided with the Confederacy, you would be able to move any Confederate army within Virginia, but if you moved an army across the border into North Carolina, which has also sided with the Confederacy, it becomes locked and only the AI of North Carolina could move it. However, if you moved a Confederate army north into Maryland, you could control it because it would be in the territory of the Union. Additionally, if, saw, Missouri had sided with the South, and they moved an army into Illinois, who had joined the North, you could control it as well. The fact that you can only control armies within your state would emphasize the fact that each state actually was a seperate entity that worked with the others to fight their common enemy.

Perhaps, in contrast to Passenger's 1861 mod, your map would only include eastern North America - to about where the western point of Texas is or so. Maybe the European factions could have diplomats present on the American continent, and all dealings with those factions would be done through them; and if, say, England was to send a reinforcement army or something like that, then they would appear on a ship and disembark on the American continent and be controlled by the AI. Sure, that would make the European factions unplayable, but that will allow the mod to instead focus on the conflict itself in America, and not on whatever's going on in Europe at the same time.

These are just suggestions, by the way.
    Last edited by KoS; July 13, 2008 at 09:05 AM.
    R.I.P. God Save The King (2008-2013)

that actually does sound like a good idea, good thinking KnightOfSicily

you could have britain as a kind of mongol or timurid faction at the start
    One man's sunset is another man's dawn
    - Winston Churchill British Primeminister

KoS's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Batu Khan View Post
    that actually does sound like a good idea, good thinking KnightOfSicily

By the way, if anybody wants to develop a mod off of my idea, feel free to... if credit is given to me, of course. (You don't have to credit me, but I did spend twenty minutes on that post, so I'd appreciate it, lol.)

if I could mod, I would, but the only thing I can do for any mod is research.

magpie's Avatar Artifex

Hi all, The ACW is one of my favourite military periods,There are some very good ideas being expressed in this forumA couple of things I would like to see represented. The armies of Northern Virginia and There opposite union army so one could fight those great historical campaigns and we must not forget the western campaign.
    Also as ETW is going to be turn based and the ACW lasted some 4 years it would have to be scripted to weekly turns to give a decent game length or left open and allow for history to be rewritten. regards magpie.

sponsered by the noble Prisca

KoS's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Batu Khan View Post
    if I could mod, I would, but the only thing I can do for any mod is research.
    I could back up the research, if need be...

lol I guess we could consider doing it, but with all the work of finding all of the other people we need, and school coming up fast, I don't think it'd be good for me too lead a mod, but I could research for some mods.

Some interesting mod found...
    Last edited by IndoPruss; September 12, 2008 at 04:31 PM.

CA you have done a great job so far, keep up the good work!!

Why there is no German-Axis FPS game?
    Thank You for the rep+ given!:wink:

or a mod of american explantion from 1812 to 1870 perhaps. thats war of 19812, civil war, mexican american war, and explanation of western america.

nate895's Avatar Tiro

I have been waiting for a good War Between the States game or mod for some time. I tried to make one for Civilization 4, but that was my only experience at modding. I am not going to try again because on my third attempt, my PC wound up crashing when I tried to load up version 0.4 on civ. Total War would be a much better platform for a Civil War game anyway given the ability to fight battles in RTS. I can't wait to use take my Army of Northern Virginia and lay waste to DC muahahaha!!!

As for the idea of making each state a separate faction, it would be more historically accurate and I am a big supporter of state sovereignty even to the present day, but it would take the fun out of playing given that with the exception of Virginia and North Carolina in the South, and a few more states up North, none of the states would actually have enough troops to wield any sort of combat strength. Combat would devolve into small skirmishes instead of the epic battles that the war is remembered for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast