Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Iberian Peninsula

Primicerius

Default Re: The Iberian Peninsula

Another great job Arthuro, keep it up.

Nice collection of killed generals heads . And that screen with the moment of the generals death was great indeed. Love catching those moments as well. Keep fighting, Arthuro, best is yet to come.

Chapter two: The Celtic People
    Part two: A new ambition
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"Why end the fighting? Gaizka and I proved we are able to defeat any enemy army" Caraunios said disappointed. Viriathus and his two best generals, the two sons he was the most proud of, came together for a meeting.
    "We have reached our goal, the Iberian people are free and safe. There is no reason for anymore bloodshed." said the king of Iberia, Viriathus.
    "But you don't understand. We are safe now, but those so-called civilized men from Carthage, Greece and Italia will soon come to claim our lands again. We were able to defeat them once but what if they come back?" Caraunios answered. Gaizka added: "Us Celtic people should become one again. If we are united we can defend ourselves from any intruders. Those Gauls always act hostile against us, while we have the same ancestors. We on the Iberian Peninsula proved to have the best Celtic blood. Those Gauls even fight each other. We should convince them that they are better off if we work together. Stupid as they are, we probably need to convince them with violence. We all know our soldiers are braver then theirs so soon all Celts will fight those civilized men under the Iberian flag."
    It was quite for a moment. Then Viriathus said: "We fought the independent Gauls with success, but how about the United Gauls. You want to attack the people we are allied to for so long?"
    "It's the only option" Caraunios agreed with his younger brother. "Those United Gauls are no better then the independent ones. I say we launch the attack as soon as possible!"
    Viriathus was convinced. The old men wanted nothing else but peace but he had to think about the future of his kingdom.
    "Gaizka, take your army and move to Lemonum. Caraunios, you attack the united Gauls in Gergovia. We shall unite all Celts"

Our diplomat moved to Gergovia to cancel all relations with the Gauls.

Gaizka did as his father said and attacked Lemonum.

After we entered the city without any losses, the enemy walked right into our stones.

After our weapons clashed it didn't take long before the enemy realized they were no match for us.

A few more Gauls waited for us in the center

But we won the battle easily

Our scout brought the good news that the Gauls are busy fighting the Romans.

After the victory in Lemonum Gaizka decided to attack the Carthaginian army who has been walking around in these lands for a long time.

The Carthaginians fled when they saw our big army and moved miles to their fleet to get away

In the meantime Caraunios attacked the united Gauls for the first time. It was the first act of war.

Our soldiers entered the settlement and our cavalry could attack some unprotected slingers

All Gallic soldiers attacked us, but when they saw our cavalry appear behind them they soon decided to surrender

Viriathus decided to give Urtzi, son of Caraunios, an army to fight the rebels in our country. He had big plans for this young general but he needed more experience.

The rebels routed soon when they realized that we came to defeat them.

And Urtzi moved to the next rebels right away

This was also an easy victroy for Urtzi

Gaizka was pushing the attack, and was ready to take Avaricum from the Gauls

Their heavy infantry waited for us at the gate

But our cavalry was able to defeat them

Our soldiers fought their warlord

And when he died they celebrated. Now the battle would be over soon

Aingeru, son of Gaizka, moved to the front lines.

Caraunios was moving to another settlement of the united Gauls, but was attacked while crossing a bridge. He took advantage of this situation.

The enemy wasn't able to hit us hard enough and routed

Caraunios saw another army moving in

Their warlord attacked our soldiers, but he would soon get killed himself

Now his men lost faith and routed

It was a heroic victory for Caraunios but soon another army, twice the size of his own, appeared. He decided he was pushing the attack to fast and withdrawed from battle.

Urtzi however was preparing for another battle

His brave soldiers attacked the rebels

They routed soon

We got the news that the Roman rebels were defeated by the Romans. Bad news for us.

Suddenly a Greek army appeared in our lands.

When they besieged us Caraunios joined the garrison and attacked the Greeks

The Greeks waited for us on a hill

We approached and our cavalry was able to attack their archers

Their infantry just watched how we slaughtered their men

We shot and threw missiles to them but they didn't react.

So we decided to attack

We attacked their captain and when he died the battle was over

Caraunios decided to take the Greek settlement. It was supposed to be a buffer between us and the Romans but since it was badly protected now we'd better take it.

And also the Romans appeared to be unable to defeat the Gauls, which just retook one of their settlements

Aingeru also headed to a settlement to take it.

Caraunios launched the attack

The walls broke down because our man were digging under it.

Some brave spearmen entered the city, without encountering enemy soldiers, to takeover the enemy towers.

Now the rest of the army could safely enter the city

Some Celts hired by the Greeks approached us but we defeated them

We faced the rest of the enemy army at the square.

And we won the battle

Urtzi had killed most of the rebels in our country. Now it was time to fulfill the plans of Viriathus. But unlucky as we were some pirates destroyed our just created fleet

Now Urtzi had to march his army to the port of Darioritum, which would soon be under our control

Aingeru was just about to attack that settlement

The enemy charged us

And while we fought the rest of the enemy soldiers were under our fire

Our cavalry attacked from behind to end the battle

The settlement of Darioritum was ready to produce a fleet for us. A fleet which would take Urtzi to Britannia.

The story continuous in Chapter two, part three: The invasion
    Last edited by King Arthuro; June 26, 2008 at 04:36 PM.

TM Is Back's Avatar Campidoctor

Very nice update+rep for you.

Primicerius

Good job Arthuro, you're eating those Gauls alive. Unite the Celts!

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering.. whats wrong with Rome? They can't even beat the Gauls when I'm weaking them on another front. Or do they always start this slow?
    I think I could defeat them now if I want, but I was hoping for a hard/long fight with them

Primicerius

They're probably still dealing with Pyrrhus/Carthage at the moment. You'll probably want to leave them alone for a bit if you want a big war with them later. Maybe conquer Gaul, consolidate, then move into Germania (or africa, it would be interesting).

Thanks for the advise. I'll see what I'll do later.
    By the way, those Britannians are scary!
    Last edited by King Arthuro; June 27, 2008 at 02:34 PM.

Primicerius

Yeah, the rebel stacks are intense... Gold chevron woad warriors and the like. What version are you on? The later versions have the Indie Gauls in Britain, the earlier ones have more intense rebels.

Help! what ever I do, I keep getting an error when I try to end the next turn. I just can't continue the campaign.. I tried to load a game from a couple turns back, kept pressing end turn until it came to that one turn and it failed again! I really don't understand how this can happen But I'll keep trying things

Edit
    Whatever I do, at 257 BC it crashes in this campaign. Even with the lowest graphics. It happens when I end the turn. Mostly at the turn of Ptolemiac but sometimes at other factions turns
    Last edited by King Arthuro; June 27, 2008 at 02:51 PM.

King Arthuro you might wanna post the problem in the XGM bug section located here. Make sure you read the sticked "Posting a bug report" thread first, so you know what information to post.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

King Arthuro: Try the EK fix or if that looks too technical for you, just e-mail a saved game to me and I'll do it for you.

This problem is fixed in version 5.6.8
    I'm using that version so this couldn't be the problem.

but saved games from earlier versions will still be affected.
    I never used earlier versions

should I update XGM?
    Last edited by King Arthuro; June 28, 2008 at 04:59 AM.

I thought the problem was fixed in version 5.6.8, but some people are still having problems. You really should try it - or download the new version - 5.7.10. I think the problem really is fixed in 5.7.10. Really.

Primicerius

But the 5.7.x's aren't save compatible to he would have to stop the AAR... What about the EK fix Dime posted, or he offered to fix it for you... Arthuro?

Quote Originally Posted by Scutarii View Post
    But the 5.7.x's aren't save compatible to he would have to stop the AAR... What about the EK fix Dime posted, or he offered to fix it for you... Arthuro?
    Good point. You can get version 5.6.11 here - it includes the new fix from version 5.7.10, but it should work fine with 5.6.x saves.

Thanks! 5.6.11 works great!

Glad to hear that King Arthuro - this is a very entertaining AAR.

Chapter two: The Iberian People
    Part three: The Invasion
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

There are stories about that island, but no one knows much about it. Stories about tough warriors and lots of raw materials. Caraunios was always interested in Britannia, but Viriathus didn't feel much for another war there. Now Viriathus was sick Caraunios was in control of Iberia. He still wanted to unite all Celts. The war with Gaul was going very well, now it was time to take control of the Celts in Britannia. His first son was ready for this job. Urtzi gained experience by fighting rebels, but this would take much more efforts. Still he wanted to go for it.

He arrived in unknown lands. He had no idea which way to go. He just walked through the forest hoping to encounter a settlement. The fleet which took him to the island was defeated by pirates so there was no way back

Suddenly he walked into a large army. Where it came from is a mystery, but there was no other option than to attack it.

Those soldiers where different from any other enemy they encountered until now. The blue paint was somewhat frightening.

They threw strange things to our heads.

When our weapons clashed it was soon clear that our men were full of fear of this strange people. Soon they tried to get away.

Our strong soldiers were not able to defeat these strange people

Since then nobody heard from Urtzi again. We think he got lost in the forest and killed by the enemy.

The first attempt to take control of Britannia was a complete failure. However, some day we would get back to retry our invasion.

There was however also some good news. Our faction finally got recognition around the world. Some travelers even called us the most advanced faction of all.

After the defeat in Britannia a small fleet was send to explore the coasts of the island. Now we knew where those people were living, so next time we can hit them harder.

The war with Gaul wasn't over yet. Mikel, son of Gaizka, was about to attack another Gallic settlement.

The soldiers entered the gate, right in the weapons of the enemy

After a long fight at the gate our soldiers lost faith

Lots of people died there

This failure of the young general was another fiasco for Caraunios. To make up for it he send his young brother Gaizka, father of Mikel, to the same settlement. He didn't even doubt about the success of this victor.

Our soldiers were as confident about the victory as Caraunios. Without to much trouble they went through the gate and attacked the enemy.

Some small groups of Gauls attacked us and were defeated

After killing there cavalry the fight was over

Now the news reached Caraunios what he already knew that would happen soon. His father passed away. Now he was the official king of Iberia.

While he was grieving about the loss more bad news reached him. Two large Carthaginian armies landed on the Balearics.

And another army was on its way

Our small navy tried to intercept that army but failed.

It was clear our navy needed improvements. However we never really focused on the sea, so at the moment we weren't able to build better ships.

Caraunios himself decided to go to the islands to attack the Carthaginians.

The fleet destroyed some small enemy ships.

In the mean time we were preparing to attack some more Gallic settlements.

Caraunios decided to launch the attack

We were shocked to see large elephants on the battlefield. However we were able to defeat them

The Carthaginians retreated to the hills to let us attack them there.

But our superior soldiers had no problems with that

The last enemy soldiers were killed

Now Gergori attacked the Gauls

After a small by our barbarian mercenaries at the gate we were able to enter the city.

After fighting there heavy infantry we were victorious

Gaizka also attacked

The enemies were scared to fight against this famous general

The Balearics seemed to be wished by another strong faction.

We didn't have a war with the Romans. Yet.

We attacked a small Carthaginian fleet

In the mean time Aingeru, first son of Gaizka, was preparing a second invasion on Britannia.

It was inevitable. Rome declared war on us and besieged the Balearics.

Our fleet tried to destroy another Carthaginian fleet but it was a very bad defeat for us

Caraunios prepared to attack the Romans.

They charged at us

We defeated their first wave

However, now our soldiers were losing. Caraunios pulled them back so some of the reinforcements could join them

Now we were able to defeat them

We were building more and more ships. However these were still very primitive.

To our surprise a Roman diplomat offered us a ceasefire. We accepted but we didn't trust the situation at all.

Caraunios attacked more Carthaginian armies

The enemy had a low moral because they had to fight our king.

This made it an easy victory

Just after the battle, when Caraunios and his men prepared to get the the main lands, Caraunios died. It was an unexpected death. We lost our best general, the defender of the Balearics. The whole country was shocked

Now his second son Ambon became king. His older brother Urtzi who used to be the heir of Caraunios died in Britannia.

Aingeru, who was moving to Britannia, didn't hear anything of this bad news , and continued his invasion. He was about to attack a settlement.

The settlement itself was badly protected, but some reinforcements arrived. We waited for them inside the settlement

They soon routed

Now we only had to defeat the general who defended the settlement

The invasion finally was a success.
    Our economy had a big boost

The battle for the Balaerics wasn't over yet. Now Caraunios died there was little chance for us to hold it.

This was the end of this chapter. The next chapter is Us against the world

Expect: A continuing conquest of Britannia, an unwanted new enemy and another invasion.

Primicerius

Wow.... Intense.:. Many defeats in that chapter (2), but also many more victories, some against many odds. You'll probably have to clear out of the Balearics and make peace with Rome. If Carthage will agree to a ceasefire, than thats great as well...

Is the unwanted enemy Germania? And maybe an invasion of Ireland?

Another great job, BTW.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast