Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Iberian Peninsula

Default The Iberian Peninsula

Hi everybody.

I read some of the AARS here and I really enjoyed reading them. Now I decided to make my own. This is going to be hard sometimes because English isn't my native language, but I think that won't be such a problem.

I chose Iberia because I didn't see any AARS about them. Although I'm not very good at battles I'll try to do it at very hard/very hard.

Chapter One: The Iberian Peninsula
    Part one: Preparing for war
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    This is a story about the Iberian people. Once there was a time we lived on this peninsula alone. Thats a long time ago. Other people try to still there hunger for gold and other materials by settling on our lands. Carthage has been South of us for a long time. They Gauls are coming from the North and the Greek are settled on our East coast for a long time. They think they can claim our lands and steal our materials. They are wrong.

Our leader, Viriathus, is getting old. However, he didn't lose his hate for the intruders. The time has come to take back what's ours. But first things first. To beat the stronger Carthaginians south of us a better economy was needed.

At the moment we get more money than we spend, but when we take up our swords we'll need a better source of money. Viriathus wants to improve the connections of our different settlements so he ordered to create some basic infrastructure. This improves economy and military movements.

He also wants our people to remember our history and culture. Our people should know where they fight for and honor the believes of our forefathers. For this reasons he ordered to build shrines in all our settlements.

Viriathus thinks our biggest threat are the Carthaginians. These merchants have the money to hire large armies and they likely want to ensure their production of gold. When we drive them away now they'll be weakened and therefore less dangerous. But he has to wait a little longer before advancing in Carthaginian lands. The rebel settlement is a nice possibility to improve our military position. The decision was made quick. Matugenus was send to the settlement.

After waiting a while for the creation of a battle ram Matugenus ordered the troops to engage.

The Craetrati where able to kill some of the enemies before even seeing them.

Once the gate was open our Creatrati threw some more javalins and our army could enter the city without any resistance

But the battle was yet to be fought. The enemy units waited at the center of the settlement for us to attack them. While advancing to their position the rebel warlord suddenly attacked our infantry. Luckily our stronger cavalry beat them in seconds.

The enemy leader was slain and his soldiers lost their faith. Our brave soldiers where able to easily defeat them.

The civilians where actually quite happy we came to claim there settlement. They felt that Iberia was better off being united. This minor victory was a sign of our bright future. The settlement was put under our control without any civilian victims.

Viriathus knew this would open the eyes of our neighbors. They realize we have plans to grow military. But it still came as a shock to see two large Carthaginian army standing next to our settlements.

Nobody knows what they are doing there, since they haven't shown any hostile actions, but it looked like a warning. We have good relations with Carthage so an attack would be quite unexpected.

In the mean time one of our scouts was checking out our northern neighbors. It was pleasant to see that the Gauls are in the middle of a war with each other keeping them occupied for a while so we don't have to expect any troubles in the north.

Our country was still improving it's economical position. Multiple trade posts and farms where build in this period. Because of the larger armies our income slowed down a lot.

Viriathus now knew it was time to deal with Carthage. If we don't do something about them now it might be too late. He sends his best commander to the Carthaginian border to prepare an army.

And that's where part two of chapter one continuous...

ServiusTheGreat's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: The Iberian Peninsula

nice start, ill be following this
    Everybody want to be a Cat, Because a Cats the only Cat who knows where its at

TM Is Back's Avatar Campidoctor

Nice an Iberian AAR. Your doing god, i'll follow this one.

Good start for economy (roads-temples-traders) and convincing victories. I was always curious about the Iberian game play, so will be watching this AAR. Good luck, King Arthuro.

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

Nice start - spelling and grammer excellent for a guy who is not native English speaking.

get some scutarii - 2nd only to Romans in battle

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

Nice AAR King Arthur and welcome to TWC Are you playing with AI bonuses on or off?

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

An Iberian AAR, sweet...Welcome to TWC! Your impending war with Carthage should prove very interesting!
    Last edited by Balikedes; June 17, 2008 at 04:21 PM.
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

Thanks for the positive reactions everybody!
    @Kara Kolyo, I'm not sure on what settings I installed the mod, is there a way to check it?

@Unknown Soldier, Thanks and I wasn't able to train a lot of scutarii yet because of the levels of the barracks. I wanted to increase economy first before improving barracks.

I've just played the second part of the chapter, but I don't have time to write everything now, so you'll have to wait a little longer to see what Carthage has to offer

Part two: The clash with Carthage

Viriathus has send his 1st son Caraunios, the heir of his kingdom, to the southern border to free our people from the Carthaginian rule. Viriathus knew he was getting old and soon Caraunios would become king of Iberia, so the experienced general would get full command of the attack on Carthage. He would learn how to handle on his own to prepare for his future as king.

The Carthaginians lived in only 2 large settlements along the coast. From there they controlled a large area to make sure they would get all the gold, silver and bronze available. Caraunios knew if he would hit Carthage there they would have no chance to stay on the peninsula. The only way to beat them was a fast attack, making sure we would beat them in both settlements.
    He had an army in Arsa ready to attack, so in a few days he marched to Gadir. While he was preparing the siege ram an unnoticed Carthaginian army appeared at the west, under command of the skilled Theophanes, and attacked them.

Caraunios was confident about the result of the battle. His men waited for this a long time. The people living around here were their brothers and they were eager to free them.

The enemy soldiers approached quickly. When in range of fire both sides threw some missiles. In the meantime some of our horses drove to some unprotected skirmishers and chased them.

The enemy soldiers attacked and there was a fight going on. Our brave warriors killed Theophanes. When the Carthaginians heard their general was slain they routed. Caraunios was happy about this easy victory.

When our men entered the city they realized this city was under foreign rule for a long time. Not all people were to pleased with our presence. Caraunios decided to enslave the Carthaginian settlers, who used our brothers as slaves for so long, so there was less resistance. But it was still a shock to see how much this city and it's people have changed over time compared to us.

There was little time to rest, Caraunios wanted to advance to the second Carthaginian city before large reinforcements would arrive.

In the meantime his second son came to the age to consider him grown. Ambon was not born to be a general like his father and his big brother, so he was kind of a black sheep.

Caraunios arrived at Carthago Nova. This colony of Carthage was ruled by Theodekles. One of the Carthaginian forces that was wandering in our lands in the north came and attacked us while besieging the city. It was a big army. This was the battle which would either drive the Carthaginians from our lands or destroy our army so Carthaginian reinforcements would be able to take back our lands and even take more then they did before.

The enemy soldiers approached and our archers fired their first missiles.

After some fighting Carthaginian cavalry attacked our unprotected infantry. Luckily Caraunios and another unit of cavalry came and defeated them quick.

The first wave of enemies routed. Now only the garrison of the city under the command of Theodekles was left and came to us.

But before they could really hit us some of our soldiers killed Theodekles. Now the battle was decided.

Now our soldiers could easily kill the last enemies. It was a great victory for Caraunios!

It was clear we drove the mighty Carthaginians from our lands. The last few Carthaginian settlers united and came for a last attack. It was a desperate action, and Caraunios was ready for the confrontation.

It was clear these men did not have a real general to command them. They did not know how to approach, and before they could get close to us our missiles made some of them retreat.

Full with courage our soldier charged at killed the enemy.

Now the town was finally under our command. Again Caraunios decided to take some slaves making the northern border town Pallantia grow.

Viriathus was proud of his son. Because the Carthaginians went home more of our people would be united and we would be stronger than ever. Only some of our lands in the North were still occupied by intruders, but he knew that wouldn't be forever.

I hope the next part will be the end of chapter one, The Iberian Peninsula
    Last edited by King Arthuro; June 18, 2008 at 12:19 PM.

NIce update. Now i know how it is to read a AAR with many screenies that's not on of myself Your text is very nice and your screenies support it very nice.

Yeah, King Arthuro, Carthage should be kicked out of Iberia a.s.a.p. Perhaps, building a fleet to secure the Iberian coast and stop Carthage naval invasions would be a good idea.

Barend's Avatar Tiro

Nice to see you playing the Iberians. When you've united the Iberian penisula you should have a good starting position. Perhaps you could take the island to the east (Balearics?), shouldn't be to difficult to do. And then maybe it's time to attackt the Indie Gauls, crush them between your forces and the 'proper' Gauls.
    Good luck !

Interesting a Iberian AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Barend View Post
    Nice to see you playing the Iberians. When you've united the Iberian penisula you should have a good starting position. Perhaps you could take the island to the east (Balearics?), shouldn't be to difficult to do. And then maybe it's time to attackt the Indie Gauls, crush them between your forces and the 'proper' Gauls.
    Good luck !
    haha just wait for the next update, both things will appear in it, only one battle to go before I write the next part, but I don't know when I have time for it

Primicerius

Great AAR Arthuro, I've never seen an Iberian AAR myself, although I have played them and they're quite fun. Interesting position to fight Carthage + Gaul + Rome, which makes for an interesting AAR. Great mix of pictures and writing, I like it so far. Looking for more.

Part three: The northern border

Viriathus, the king of Iberia, had a dream. He wanted to take back the lands that once belonged to our ancestors. The victories of his first son, Caraunios, against the Carthaginians was just the beginning. Now it was time to take back the north. The Gallic and Greek settlers would have to be deal with our strong swords, but first some rebel armies had to be fought. Viriathus' second son, Gaizka, had an army ready to face an rebel general.

His troops were ready for the attack

Our missiles hit the enemy soldiers and before they reached us they had that many losses to make them loose all hope and so they ran away.

The desperate enemy send there archers with drawn knives to our strong soldiers, and without to much effort our men killed the rebels.

Viriathus himself also decided to launch an attack on some rebels.

In the mean time there were still some small Carthaginian armies in the south. They decided to take the boat before we could kill them.

A stronger Carthaginian army was walking north. Strangely he was later seen in Gallic lands. His destination was completely unknown.

Viriathus was done with Carthage. However, because they didn't accept our offer of a truce he decided to take the barely defended Balearic islands. Gaizka, who just defeated the rebels, was send to the islands to face the Carthaginians.

There was just a small settlement which he could easily take over.

Some of the Carthaginian civilians were send as slaves to the mainland.

Gaizka was making a good name by these two victories in a row.

He couldn't enjoy his victory for to long because Viriathus needed him again. He had new plans to attack the Gauls.

While Gaizka was heading to the by Gauls controlled Numantia and Urtzi approached Iruna, Caraunios was assembling an army to face the Greeks.

In the mean time Viriathus happily received the news he had another full-grown grandson.

Now it was time to start the war with Gaul. At two places at the same time our soldiers launched the attack.
    Urtzi, the son of Caraunios, was a young and unexperienced general. His army was three times the size of the Gallic army, so he should be able to achieve victory.

He entered the village peacefully, but in the center the forces met each other.

When their captain died the enemy soldiers surrendered.

It was the first victory for Urtzi, but a lot of his men lost their life that day.

The village was occupied peacefully

Gaizka also launched the attack. A lot of Gauls already left this world before they had seen our swords

While our soldiers took their position the enemy charged

Our larger number of soldiers made the enemy rout

Another victory for our soldiers. This settlement was also occupied without any civilian blood shed

Viriathus allowed Txomin of Segobriga to marry into the royal family.

We received bad news. The gauls allied with Rome and at the same time the Gallic conflicts were settled. This meant these men had more time to focus on us.

Viriathus reacted on this news by trying to ensure our northern border. Just one more settlement had to be taken to get what he wanted. A united Iberia. The problem was that this settlement was in hands of Greeks, and these men are very experienced warriors. It would be very hard to beat these people. Viriathus knew there was just one men who could do this job, so he send his heir to the greek lands. While approaching the settlement he met a lost Carthaginian army. Carthage was allied with the Greek settlement so it was blocking our way.

Caraunios attacked the enemy. Their cavalry tried to flank our unprotected skirmishers, but our cavalry reacted and drove them away.

When we reached their infantry the battle was soon decided. The enemy routed and we killed their general.

Now Caraunios could continue his way to the Greek Emporion.

One of our diplomats talked to a German diplomat and after some talking they came to an agreement.

And another son was born

A small Gallic army decided to besiege the settlement we just took from them

But we focused on the battle for Emporion. Gaizka joined Caraunios and they attacked.

Those 3 Greek hoplites would be a real challenge to beat.

By digging under under their wall it collapsed so our soldiers could enter the city

We met the first unit of hoplites and after a long fight we were able to kill them

Some of our men took control of the watch towers so the other men could enter the city without losses.
    On the road to the center of the city we had to deal with another unit of hoplites.

The archers were no match for our brave soldiers, but the last hoplites were a real thread.

Luckily the gods were on our sides, and after defeating them our exhausted men were just able to kill the last enemies. A lot of our men joined our ancestors but it was a great victory for us. To increase our money and ensure the rest in the settlement Caraunios decided to exterminate the populace of Emporion.

Viriathus was very happy when the news reached him. His dream was fulfilled, the Iberian Peninsula was united.

Now our small country was seen as a real thread in the eyes of the other factions.

The story continuous in chapter two: The Celtic people
    Last edited by King Arthuro; June 22, 2008 at 12:36 PM.

Primicerius

Awesome update Arthuro, you're doing a great job. Gaul shouldn't be too dificult to subdue, but watch out for Rome.... If they deal with Pyrrhus + Carthage, they might come into conflict with you, and dealing with them + Gaul might be a little more tricky.

Nice update. Your screenies are very well placed. Keep this AAR running.

Chapter two: The Celtic People
    Part one: A bufferzone

Viriatus managed to unite the Iberian peninsula. All intruders were driven away, he didn't have any other wishes. Now he felt like spending his years as an admired king of a happy population. There was however still the thread in the north. Until now we had to defeat some independent Gallic tribes to get our lands back. These Gauls however didn't agree with this new situation and currently a small Gallic army was besieging Numantia. Although Viriathus didn't feel much for more bloodshed he didn't had a choice now so he send Gaizka, his son who just helped Caraunios to defeat the Greeks, to the settlement to push the Gauls out.

Gaizka saw the Gallic army taking their positions on a hill

But when he gave the orders to approach the enemy those cowards ran away. There was no reason to fight after all.

This made Gaizka more confident in next battles.

But this one fleeing army wasn't the last army to annoy us. A few months later a larger army appeared at the border and started to besiege Iruna.

Again this man didn't feel much for a battle.

Viriathus started to change his mind. Those Gallic warriors weren't nearly as brave as our mighty soldiers. We would never run away from a battle like those cowards did twice. And to ensure the safety of our borders it would be a good idea to create a buffer zone, by taking over some of the independent Gallic settlements. The large united Gallic faction which was still our ally wouldn't mind if we attacked this independent Gauls. And after all those people had the same culture and background as we. We have the same Celtic ancestors. So Viriathus send Gaizka to the Gallic settlement Burdigala.

When he arrived at the settlement a small Gallic army attacked him.

Our archer shot their missiles at the enemy. When they came to close they hided behind the infantry line.

Again the enemy proved they are cowards. After a few seconds of fighting they routed.

Gaizka attacked the enemy general who, what a surprise, also routed.

Now it was just a matter of killing the fleeing Gauls.

When the reinforces saw the fleeing allies they decided to leave the battlefield before they could get hurt.

It was an easy victory for Gaizka

But soon another army arrived. This time it was led by a very experienced general. This would be a real challenge for Gaizka.

They attacked at night. Our warriors were ready to face these cowards.

Two Gallic cavalry units flanked us. However the spearmen were ready for this attack.

In the mean time our archer tried to kill the enemy general

Our soldier proved they were stronger then the enemy.

In the mean time one of our scouts was checking out what was going on on the Italian Peninsula. The men living there looked like civilized men who should be able to defeat the Gauls. If they did that we could get in trouble with them. Luckily the Gauls still had quite some soldiers to defend their settlements.

Carthago Nova, the previous colony of Carthage, grew under our control and the people living there slowly adopted to our ways of life.

Matugenus first son was now grown.

While these things happened at home, Gaizka still had his army waiting to attack Burdigala. However before he could launch his attack there was another Gallic attack. This was the third attempt to get us out of their lands.

While Gaizka was focusing on the attacking army, he didn't notice the reinforcements that appeared right behind him. Luckily he was just in time to prepare for their attack.

Two of their cavalry units ran into our spears.

While the reinforcements were beaten the other armies approached

Wave after wave from the enemies failed to hit us

Two other cities grew. Not only military but also our economical position improved.

Gaizka got allot of experience from the battles around Burdigala. Two more Gallic armies attacked him

When the first general was slain by our soldiers his army routed. Now there was just one more army to beat

This was also a simple task for Gaizka

After defeating this 4th Gallic attack Gaizka's son was also ready to become a general

The united Gaul faction, our allies, turned out to be just as cowardly as the independent Gauls. They became a part of Germania

Our spy in Italia saw the Romans still weren't able to beat the Greeks.

Gaizka decided it was time to end the fighting around Burdigala. He told his troops to prepare for the last attack. The large rock were he fought 4 battles was later named after him.

The settlement was now only protected by three generals with their bodyguards.

In the mean time Caraunios was ready to attack a Gallic settlement east of Burdigala.

Our men had to fight their way in the city

Now we created a buffer. As long as we could hold these two settlements our people were safe from Gallic armies
    Our economy was very nice at that moment

Last edited by King Arthuro; June 23, 2008 at 03:06 PM.

Very very nice. Keep going.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast