Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Powerful Tank of WW2

czePowerslave's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Most Powerful Tank of WW2

I think that the power can be determined by easier factors then the being best thing. Take a punch or capability of destroying enemy tanks while surviving.

Roman Rebel
    Installation FAQ + troubleshooting
    We shall stand side by side even unto death. SPQR for life.
    Mgr. Šohaj Pavel

Quote Originally Posted by christof139 View Post
    I never claimed 300 Pershings saw action, I claimed that 300 Pershings were in europe and actually it seems 310 actually were issued to the troops, and that means that if the war had went on for a slight bit more of time those 290 Pershings already issued to units would have been in action.

Don't say I said something I didn't. And it is quite possible that more than 20 did see combat. You just have to check with more detailed official US Army documents and some personnel that were there.

Chris
    I quoted you specifically on that. What other conclusion am I to draw when you write:
    Also, Pershings did see considerable action, all about 300 and some odd of them, comparable to the numeric value of about 480 or so King Tigers used in the war.
    To me that sounds like making a connection between seeing action and the 300 Pershings which you then even compare to the numbers of King Tigers which did see more action as a whole. So what is it?

Carl von Döbeln's Avatar Crossing the Rubicon

Königstiger

and with that,I HEREBY CELBRATE MY 300 POST

King Edward III's Avatar Primicerius

The Churchill.
    According to the Theory of War, which teaches that the best way to avoid the inconvenience of war is to pursue it away from your own country, it is more sensible for us to fight our notorious enemy in his own realm, with the joint power of our allies, than it is to wait for him at our own doors.

- King Edward III, 1339

Quote Originally Posted by King Edward III View Post
    The Churchill.
    The Churchill wasn't so good

Quote Originally Posted by Carl von döbeln View Post
    Understatement of the century.
    According to the Theory of War, which teaches that the best way to avoid the inconvenience of war is to pursue it away from your own country, it is more sensible for us to fight our notorious enemy in his own realm, with the joint power of our allies, than it is to wait for him at our own doors.

- King Edward III, 1339

Quote Originally Posted by King Edward III View Post
    Understatement of the century.
    Haha

I think all our tanks were so crap we had to use the yanks Sherman.

- King Edward III, 1339

Sherman isnt that big deal either. It was pretty high one tank, weak cannon, ideal target on the battlefield. Except for armour, design of Sherman was obsolete even before it entered European theatre

Roman Rebel
    Mgr. Šohaj Pavel

Guderian's Duck's Avatar Decanus

If you're going for the simple "this tank has armor" the IS-3 wins hands down.
    The Jagdpanzer IV was a tank destroyer developed against the wishes of Heinz Guderian. Its large gun and heavy frontal armor led to poor mobility and made them difficult to operate in rough terrain, leading their crews to nickname them Guderian Ente; Guderian's Duck.

christof139's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by czePowerslave View Post
    Sherman isnt that big deal either. It was pretty high one tank, weak cannon, ideal target on the battlefield. Except for armour, design of Sherman was obsolete even before it entered European theatre
    No. When the Sherman entered service with the Brits in N. Africa in 1942 it was not outdated. The sShort 75mm of the Sherman was only very slightly inferior to the 76.2mm gun on the T-34/76 and the the 75mm of the Sherman fired a better high explosive round, plus the Sherman's armor was made of better quality steel and equalled or surpassed that of the T-34/76, and the Sherman was more mechanically reliable.

The Long 76mm used in the Sherman was deemed to be better than the 85mm of the T-34/76, and the Soviets themselves made this statement after tests. The Shermans armor got better as the war progressed and with its newer suspension system and wider tracks and ground pressure about 0.1 pound less than the T-34, and the fact that it was narrower meant the Sherman could go places a T-34 and German tanks couldn't. With HVAP ammo the 76mm gun was an effective gun. Also, the Sherman had a British gun gyro-stabilizer allowing it to fire a bit more accurately on the move, and the turret trversing system was reliable and faster than anything the Germans or Soviets had. Hence, the Soviets issued most of he Shermans they recieved from the USA to their Guards units.

****Check on the ballistics tests of the Short 75mm compared to the 76.2mm and the Long 76mm with and without HVAP compared to the 85mm.

The height of the Sherman also worked to its advantage allowing it to fire over walls and hedges, and the Sherman was a narrow target to begin with, so its height didn't enlarge its silhouette that much.

The later day M-48 and M-60's were also purposefully made higher than the T-54/55/62 series of tanks, for the same reason, the added height allowed them to be able to fire over higher walls and hedges etc. in Western Europe and elsewhere when the Soviet tanks couldn't.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax View Post
    I quoted you specifically on that. What other conclusion am I to draw when you write:

To me that sounds like making a connection between seeing action and the 300 Pershings which you then even compare to the numbers of King Tigers which did see more action as a whole. So what is it?
    I see I did say that. Sorry. I meant there were 300 in the ETO, and quite possibly more than 20 saw combat.

Of course I compared the number of Pershings available to the number of KT's since the available numbers of both in the ETO were VERY LOW, and KT's affected the final outcome of many encounters very little.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Carl von döbeln View Post
    The Soviets mainly issued Churchills to Guards units because of their heavier armor, and Soviet crews thought they were decent.

Chris

Guderian's Duck's Avatar Decanus

The Churchill supposedly had the highest crew survival rate of the war.
    The Jagdpanzer IV was a tank destroyer developed against the wishes of Heinz Guderian. Its large gun and heavy frontal armor led to poor mobility and made them difficult to operate in rough terrain, leading their crews to nickname them Guderian Ente; Guderian's Duck.

That's interesting. Must also have been rather roomy inside behind its rather thick armor, perhaps almost cozy.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Guderian Ente View Post
    If you're going for the simple "this tank has armor" the IS-3 wins hands down.
    Yup, the IS-3 looks really unpenetratable.
    Even by looking at the picture you get the feeling that everything will bounce off its armour.
    Im a fan of german tanks, tho.

JSIII was very impressive, so was what was it, the later T-10M. JSIII simply looks modern and sleek and deadly.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ZorboZ View Post
    Yup, the IS-3 looks really unpenetratable.
    Even by looking at the picture you get the feeling that everything will bounce off its armour.
    Im a fan of german tanks, tho.
    How about give it a pointblank range testing shoot from JagdTiger?

Roman Rebel
    Mgr. Šohaj Pavel

The Churchill was a decent/good tank. It had thick armour and was spacious. But it lacked a good gun, first it had the 2 pounder and later it had the 6 pounder or the 75mm gun from the Sherman. The 6 pounder was a good gun but it couldn't penetrate the armor of a Tiger or a Panther. The 75mm gun was a good gun for infantry supporttank, it fired very good HE shells. But it wasn't possible to mount the 17 pounder on the Churchill.
    L'union fait la force. Eendracht maakt macht.
    Their name liveth for evermore

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknight_1990 View Post
    The Churchill was a decent/good tank. It had thick armour and was spacious. But it lacked a good gun, first it had the 2 pounder and later it had the 6 pounder or the 75mm gun from the Sherman. The 6 pounder was a good gun but it couldn't penetrate the armor of a Tiger or a Panther. The 75mm gun was a good gun for infantry supporttank, it fired very good HE shells. But it wasn't possible to mount the 17 pounder on the Churchill.
    I find desing of Churchill tank obsolete in all ways. Looks weird

Roman Rebel
    Mgr. Šohaj Pavel