Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Powerful Tank of WW2

Default Most Powerful Tank of WW2

I'm not trying to rehash old threads, but to further clarify what others would consider the most powerful tank of WW2 that saw action. To me this would be a combination of offense(firepower-accuracy, rate of fire and penetration), defensive capability (armor-deflective and absorption). I would not include reliability, adaptability, etc. This would simply be who would be able to destroy the other first, basically a tank duel (terrain need not apply).

To me it would seem to be the King Tiger with its 88 kwk 43 L/71 cannon and its excellent armor. I think the IS2 would be a close runner up with its very good design. I could be wrong on this as I don't have the stats to back this up, this is the way I remember it being. If someone does have the stats on this please put them down.
    As far as tanks that were built that didn't see any action in the war, what would you consider? For me I would have to go with the Maus.

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Default Re: Most Powerful Tank of WW2

you might want to re-assess the first half sentence of your thread. because its blatantly what the net result will be.

a rehash of many many threads.

to sum up, you will get people going "german *insert tank here* is best" arguing with people who go soviet/american/british tank was better

then you will get 10 pages of pseudo stats and fanboyery which will lead to the conclusion that its entirely subjective and there is no definitive answer.

ok, i wont be entirely unconstructive, here's a pretty good assessment of where the VV is at with ww2 tanks.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=165942
    Last edited by antea; June 14, 2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: apologies, its early, i am hung over.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

I notice you dont seem to put much emphasis on mobility. Mobility is the chief purpose of a tank, than armor, then a gun. Without speed you will not be able to exploit a break in the enemies line.

You might actually do pretty good with a motorcycle and a gun slung around your back.

Even better with an armored car with only machine guns as you can make it to a headquarters or supply depot which would be lightly guarded and shoot the place up.

Of course you will do much better with the three together and be able to take out other vehicles.

Having said all of this I believe without a doubt that the Jadgpanther was the best armored vehicle/ Tank of the war.

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!

Sidmen's Avatar Mangod of Earth

On a flat battlefield with no other factors, the competition is down to the IS2 and the King Tiger. The victor is whomever scored the first shot.
    "For the humble doily is indeed the gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!"

~Sidmen, Member of the House of Wilpuri, Patronized by pannonian

Primicerius

M26 pershing from what I heard (in company of heroes).

Sorry if this is the same as the KingTiger,I don't remember, but the German Tiger II was pretty pimping. It had, for the time, incredibly modern and sophisticated sloped armor, a terribly effective maingun. I remember seeing a thing on the History Channel that it would often take 7-10 Shermans to take out 1 Tiger II because it was so well armoured and it would normally kill 3 or 4 Shermans in the process. The show also said that in the hands of an experienced German tank commander, the Tiger II proved near invincible to Allied tanks.
    "Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam." -Hannibal Barca
    http://[IMG]http://img52.imageshack.....png[/IMG]

Sidmen's Avatar Mangod of Earth

The King Tiger is the Tiger 2

Interestingly enough, combat between shermans and the Tiger 2 played out almost the same as it did with the Panther. That is, The panther ( a smaller, lighter, cheaper vehicle) took out as many Shermans as a Tiger 2 did when defending, and much more than the Tiger when on the offensive.
    "For the humble doily is indeed the gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!"

~Sidmen, Member of the House of Wilpuri, Patronized by pannonian

Oh ok, I thought they were the same. I think there was a also a significant psychological impact for the KingTiger. I certainly would have been scared if I was in a crappy old Sherman and saw a KingTiger coming around the corner.
    "Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam." -Hannibal Barca
    http://[IMG]http://img52.imageshack.....png[/IMG]

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Quote Originally Posted by Hounf of Culan View Post
    Oh ok, I thought they were the same. I think there was a also a significant psychological impact for the KingTiger. I certainly would have been scared if I was in a crappy old Sherman and saw a KingTiger coming around the corner.
    i dont know why, it probably would have broken down, then the 30 other shermans beside you would have swarmed around it and shot it up from all sides, or, its crew would have simply ditched it and ran off, leaving the empty king tiger waiting to be shipped off to some museum in the states.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

T-34 was the most powerful, especially since when you blew one up, four more came along to take its place

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Its a competition between the Super Pershing, the King Tiger, and the IS2
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

I vote super-pershing!

In Feb 1945 in Colony, a single S-P, destroyed 2 panther tiger tanks with a single shot

Jagdpanzer, King Tiger or T-34.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

T-34 is one of the best tanks, but not one of the most powerful...

The Super Pershing may win this as it was able to destroy a King Tiger in battle, but only one of them ever saw combat.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Jagdpanther, on second thought. It could take out a Pershing, because it was meant to.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Lord Romanus III's Avatar Primicerius

I think Pershing if you want most powerful. hat is for tank-on-tank though, with nothing else involved.

Russia developed really good tanks during the war, T-34, the IS series (good tanks in my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant Champion
    I notice you dont seem to put much emphasis on mobility. Mobility is the chief purpose of a tank, than armor, then a gun. Without speed you will not be able to exploit a break in the enemies line.
    For being part of the title "Best tank", mobility would be of value, but this thread is simply being about the most powerful tank. To my understanding in WW2 most shots were fired while stationary, then movement followed. Mobility would count for defense but it doesn't seem to be of a high degree because of the amount of tanks destroyed from long distances. If this is correct I don't see mobility playing a large role in being the most "powerful" tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Farnan
    Its a competition between the Super Pershing, the King Tiger, and the IS2
    I'm not so sure I would agree with the Super Pershing, while it certainly had a great gun but I believe it lacked in armor protection compared to the IS2 and King Tiger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Farnan
    T-34 is one of the best tanks, but not one of the most powerful...

The Super Pershing may win this as it was able to destroy a King Tiger in battle, but only one of them ever saw combat.
    I agree with you on the T-34, but when the SP destroyed the KT2 it was an underbelly shot, at least according to wikipedia. "the "Super Pershing" destroyed one King Tiger by striking its underbelly and knocked out another tank, probably a Panther, with a shot to its flank [3]. However, that was its only known combat engagement. Thus, the full capabilities of the T15E1 90 mm main gun were never demonstrated."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Croccer
    Jagdpanther, on second thought. It could take out a Pershing, because it was meant to.
    If it was most powerful afv of WW2 then I would have to agree that it would be the Jagdpanther, but this being on tanks the Jagdpanther would not qualify.

Farnan could very well be correct, I'm just not sure. I was hopping someone would have a link, book or something that would have done a comparative analysis of these tanks.

The IS-2 was often pretty bad, though. People often look at the gun and get admired without glancing at the bigger picture. The KV-2 had a 150mm Howitzer, however the main problem with Soviet tanks was the lower rate of fire of their guns, lower ammo reserves (given the cramped conditions inside a KV-1 or T-34, for example) and most importantly low accuracy. The Zeiss gunsights and others used in German guns were one of the best and most accurate in the world, while most Soviet tanks had at best very crude models. The 88mm KwK gun of the Tiger had also a flat trajectory and high quality ballistics, allowing both a high rate of fire and extremely high accuracy at long ranges. Some German Jagdpanzers could regularly take down Soviet tanks at over 3000m, while the Soviets always would seek short range engagements as a result of their inferiority in this regard.

This is partly derived from the Soviet armoured doctrine. Soviets always put emphasis on massed engagements, massed armour, massed infantry, etc... They also had a guideline in tank building that focused on mechanically reliable and simple tanks balanced with big gun and thick armour. While the Germans were exactly the opposite: often special focus was on a single Tank or AFV that could take down many other tanks. Most of their late war armour is mechanically unreliable, slow and incredibly bulky, a problem not so glaring in Soviet tanks.

Another glaring difference is the command structure: Panzer III's, while outgunned by the T-34, had more and better trained crew members and almost always were in radio contact with their unit. Whereas T-34's did not, and it was risky to coordinate through flags and other improvised means like the Soviets often did.

So beware, many Soviet tanks look impressive on paper but on the battlefield other matters came to place with equal weight on general performance and ratings.
    Last edited by Marie Louise von Preussen; June 15, 2008 at 05:27 PM.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Panzerbear's Avatar Praeses

actually, IS-3!

many historians claim that a couple of battalions of IS-3 saw some action in the Far East against Japan at the end of WW2. IS-3 was by far the best tank on the planet earth when it was introduced . needless to say, it participated in the victory parade in Berlin and the everyone (including allies) were their pants.

Last edited by Panzerbear; June 15, 2008 at 05:40 PM.

Throw away all your newspapers!
    Most of you are Libertarians, you just havent figured it out yet.

Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast