Thread: The High Seas : A purely naval multiplayer mod

Axeman's Avatar Praepositus

Default The High Seas : A purely naval multiplayer mod

There have always been purely Multiplayer mods for the Total War series, why not expand on this with a purely naval aspect of the game. The focus? The mighty age of Iron! before you dismiss this as a fools dream consider the following.

Time : It will likely be a time consuming mod, nobody said Lord of the Rings or the Napoleonic Age would come to Rome Total War, but it did!

Effort: It will require some effort, but when you think of it if you have a mastery of textures and reworking, creating the ships themselves would be easy.

Scope: It will require a wide area of gameplay so we don't have people battleship spamming, we need to show the importance of a diverse navy, Battleships storming forward, light cruisers flanking, ect.....

Maps : There will be several, with variant wind speeds and such, but also some costal maps if possible, and even 1 river map *Belgrade seems to be the perfect map* so we could have monitor battles!

What will make or brake this mod.

Gameplay: for this to be effective we need the ability to CHOOSE the ships we fire on, keeping in mind the range, and the ability to simultaneously move our ships, if we just have an "auto-fire" option our ability to micromanage naval battles will be SEVERLY hindered.

Team: as mentioned earlier we need a capable and dedicated team, I lack the ability to do all of this myself, but I can help!

Co-Operation: we will need to co-operate with other mods, fans, and with CA *we might get a shiny new tool or something!*

Patience: this will not be done overnight, so patience is a much.

Mechanics: hopefully the ETW will be flexible, it won't be flexible enough for us to put in Aircraft carriers, but hopefully enough to change fireing animations.

Boarding: we do not yet know the significance of boarding actions in ETW , this will likely have to be looked upon.

Now for the game itself!

Types of ships:

Monitor:

The monitor is the first of the new age ships, cheap to make but still effective at close range river battles, often used to draw fire and to hold critical waterways.

Destroyer:

The destroyer is the first fully iron ship used in combat. Used as a screening force to main capital ships it lacks firepower or range, but is very fast and manuverable, but one good hit will send it sinking!

Light Cruiser:

The light cruiser is a considerabley beefed up destroyer. Still light and Manuverable, its range and firepower are significantly increased and the expense of speed, but its armor is still second rate in comparison

Heavy Cruiser:

The heavy cruiser is a mix ship. Fast as a light cruiser with more armor, firepower, and range, it only lacks the manuberability of all other screening ships. Due to this it is often on the far flanks making fast shading runs to flank the enemy vessels.

Dreadnaught:

This behemoth of a ship was the first type of battleship comissioned. Big, Bulky, and Slow it makes up in lack of manuverability , firepower, and range. It is the elephant of the seas, but far from invincible.

Battlecruiser:

This heavy cruiser on steroids was the first alternative to the Dreadnaught. Its speed and manuverability make the Dreadnaught look like a tortise, and its firepower on equal terms. The downside? Not alot of armor, the battlecruiser relies on manuverability and speed for high damage protection, not frontal assualts!

Battleship:

Truely the queen of the sea, the Battleship is the sucessor to the Dreadnaught, fast, deadly, superior range , firepower, and armor, and only having slightly diminished manuverability due to its size, its the bullwak of any fleet, but it is VERY expensive.

Submarine:

Mostly used in commerce raiding submarines are an ideal way to attack cruisers and even heavier capital ships from a distance. Its greatest weakness are depth charges, which are carried on all ships, the faster you get to the submarines position the faster you kill it , consider the Submarine the sniper of the seas.

More comming up in future posts, such as the naval tendancies of each countries, types of these ships mentioned above, and some more pictures I feel like posting. Hopefully this will become a reality.

☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌  Copy and paste him
    / \ so as to commit horrible blasphemy!
    If there were a God, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt his existence. --Bertrand Russell

Default Re: The High Seas : A purely naval multiplayer mod

Factions:

Britan : The Royal Navy

Germany : The Kriegsmarine

Italy : The Regina Marinia

Factions:

Japan : The Imperial Jappanese Navy

France : Marine Nationale

Russia :
    *the timeline will be including WW2 era ships, so maybe have 2 different factions with different naval focuses*

Soviet Union :
    *the timeline will be including WW2 era ships, so maybe have 2 different factions with different naval focuses*

The United States of America : The US Navy

☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌  Copy and paste him
    If there were a God, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt his existence. --Bertrand Russell

Bumping this thread to see if there is any interest now that ETW is closer to release.

☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌  Copy and paste him

DarkArk's Avatar Senator

I'm interested, though I don't have any modding skills just a lot of knowledge of the period. So it seems to me that you want to go 1860-WWII. I think it would be better to just have one era and focus on that. If I may I would recommend WWI, as this had the widest variety before aircraft became prevalent.

Also, that isn't a monitor. A monitor has a turret. That pic from AoEIII is just a normal Ironclad.

Wow, it would be amazing if you achieve such a goal. i wish i could help but i literally suck at modding
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArk View Post
    I'm interested, though I don't have any modding skills just a lot of knowledge of the period. So it seems to me that you want to go 1860-WWII. I think it would be better to just have one era and focus on that. If I may I would recommend WWI, as this had the widest variety before aircraft became prevalent.

Also, that isn't a monitor. A monitor has a turret. That pic from AoEIII is just a normal Ironclad.
    The thing is from a purely naval aspect this will be MUCH easier to represent then land. I mentioned I am excluding aircraft carriers for that reason. If you were to make a model Dreadnoughts and Battleships are very close , all cruisers are too , and destroyers should be simple*er* to make , and same with ironclads.

☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌  Copy and paste him