Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PROBLEMS WITH EXCOMMUNICATION, HELP!!!

Default PROBLEMS WITH EXCOMMUNICATION, HELP!!!

Hi guys, I think this SS is a great mod and i love it so much.
    However, i have a problem about my relation with the pope.

Whenever I play as a catholic faction and fight another catholic faction, the pope always told me to make peace with that faction, or i will be excommunicated.

In the vanilla, i solve this problem by "bribing" the pope. I offer the papal state map information and "attack faction" -without any money- every turn, so my relation with the pope become "perfect".
    With my perfect relation, the pope still ask me to make peace but there is no more excommunication punishment.

In this SS, i found it is very hard to improve my relation with the pope to the "perfect" level. I cannot bribe him with map information and "attack faction", so i can't achive the "perfect" relationship level.
    With only "very good" relationship level, the pope keep threatening me with the excommunication. That means i cannot fight and conquer another catholic faction easily.

So how do I raise my relation with the pope easily, to avoid excommunication????

Thanks for the advice, and sorry for my bad english

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: PROBLEMS WITH EXCOMMUNICATION, HELP!!!

alliance with the Pope always helps, also sucessful crusade with yuo taking the place or just generally attcking non-catholicsthat alwasy seems to get my rating up.

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

shenryyr's Avatar Semisalis

that's kind of the point. in vanilla, you could cheat the pope easily, in ss you cannot.

try getting the other faction excommunicated by leaving tiny garrisons in your bordering cities to tease them in close, or send single ships in their waters so they will be attacked.
    my other horse is a space ship

thx for the advice, but does alliance with the pope really solve the problem??

i mean if i allied with the pope, he will not excommunicated me??

thx.

he'll still excommunicate you, yes.

Default HOW TO AVOID EXCOMMUNICATION???

Hello guys, i'm a big fan of M2TW, but in this SS 6.1, i have a problem when i play as catholic factions:
    how to attack another catholic faction, without being excommunicated by the pope???

thx.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Default Re: HOW TO AVOID EXCOMMUNICATION???

If you're at war with another catholic faction, don't attack them. Let them attack you (as you get no papal penalties for defending yourself). Wait for them to get excommunicated for attacking you and then you can freely attack them

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Coblos,

In my experiance playing M/M if you maintain a diplomat at the vatican and pay the Pope (bribe him) he won't excumunicate you. If you pay him regularly he may ally with you. Punishment for attacking fellow Catholics is usaully just lowered reputation.
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

please don't post the same thread twice; you can always change the name of your thread by clicking next to its name on the main page.

YD23's Avatar Cторожевая Cобака.

You can instigate the fight by moving your troops into their territory. That usually starts it, at least for me it always worked.

You also can get away with attacking a Catholic faction if you have high piety. The Pope will warn you that he'll be disappointed by further attacks, but if you do attack you won't get excommunicated.
    Faction Crown Mod for Stainless Steel 6.1

Quote Originally Posted by The Lionheart View Post
    You also can get away with attacking a Catholic faction if you have high piety. The Pope will warn you that he'll be disappointed by further attacks, but if you do attack you won't get excommunicated.
    really how much piety do you need?
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

i see there is two post for this, well while i wait for these to get merged i am gonna tell you that it is extremely difficult to get your relations with the pope higher, or even get an alliance with him if you are already at war with a catholic.
    Make peace between your catholic enemies and then it becomes much easier. After you can continue the war
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

Quote Originally Posted by The Lionheart View Post
    Not piety, papal standing

miau's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by yelowdogg23 View Post
    You can instigate the fight by moving your troops into their territory. That usually starts it, at least for me it always worked.
    This is my tactics when I want to attack a fraction with many allys. I provoke them to attack me and most of their allys break the alliance with them and don't declare war on me.

I have merged these two threads as the same topic, by the same poster.

Please try and avoid this, or if it happens pm a modertor to sort it out.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

OK, tanks for the advice, i'll try it.

sorry for posting twice.

I have tried the method to attack catholic faction without being excommunicated by luring my enemy to attack me.
    But it takes a long time for them to attack me. And the alliance with the pope method was not very successful as the pope still excommunicated me.

In the vanilla M2TW i can beat the game in 65 turns, and if i have to wait the enemy to attack me i think it will take a longer time to beat the game.

so do you have any other advice to attack a catholic faction without being excommunicated???

-Use the edit button next time.
    Last edited by Chim; June 12, 2008 at 05:17 PM.

So it takes longer. What's the rush?
    Last edited by Caesar Clivus; June 12, 2008 at 07:01 AM.

coblos
    Well the game does last over 300 turns, so plenty of time, and get more units/options.

You could use spies to cause unrest, bribe the pope with cash, make sure that you attack before the pope bans you (turn up with seige equipment and assualt, or use spies to open gates), or just save up and buy the settlements.
    Last edited by Quark; June 12, 2008 at 01:54 PM.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Space Wolves's Avatar Primicerius

hmmm, intresting tips...

Playing as Genoa, 6 of my 14 standings armies betrayed me....saying they cant be under the leadership of a nation that has been excommunicated..pfft.

time to start a new campaign!.

20,284 Officers Lost in the Line of Duty as of 2010-12 this month- 124 this year
    Red: Suspect inflicted: Blue Accident
    Officer Christopher A Wilson: End of Watch 10/27/10: San Diego PD, CA
    Lt. Jose A Cordova Montaez: End of Watch 10/26/10: Pureto Rico PD
    Cpt. George Green: End of Watch 10/26/10: Oklahoma Highway PD
    Deputy Sheriff Odelle McDuffle Jr. 10/25/10: Liberty Country SD, Texas
    Officer John Abraham: End of Watch 10/25/10: Teaneck PD New Jersey
    Sgt. Timothy Prunty: End of Watch 10/24/10: Shreveport PD. Louisiana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast