Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Parthicus/Africanus (II)

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Parthicus/Africanus

bah just take 2 legions and cruch the scum!
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."Sun-tzu
    Chinese general & military strategist (~400 BC`)

As much as I would agree the rebels need to be dealt with quickly and efficiently, we cannot devote 2 legions to rebel scum. We need those legions defending our people from the Gauls and the Greeks. Otherwise, the plebs would grow unhappy and just cause more rebellions. No, one division is best.
    I thought about writing something clever, but then I remembered I'm not clever enough.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I would ask the senate to please tell me what legions I am in fact allowed to command before I arrive in south Italy...

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

I do not believe two legiions are needed 1 woud be suffiecient!
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Quote Originally Posted by spl00ge View Post
    I fully support sending a division.
    ooc: Hey spl00ge, a division in the Curia means a vote on the subject, not a division as in a section of the army

As you can see from my report, there is a legion situated near Croton. It is much understrength, but if the units are merged a bit, and the fresh cohorts of it in Croton are brought in, it should easily be made fighting fit. If I remember correctly, this legion was meant to be given to the proconsul of Africa Spurius Vitruvius, but I'm sure he won't mind you using to rid our homeland of brigands and rebels.

ooc: ooooh! thanks for the info
    I thought about writing something clever, but then I remembered I'm not clever enough.

Good...Good! Those rebel dogs will be shown what it is to be hit by sharp roman steel!

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

I address this letter in response to the praetors request.
    Illyria since I came here has been invaded from every corner by the Greeks.
    The consul of this term has indicated at how many Greeks have come into our province.
    The king it seemed only asked for the terms so as to regroup his military.
    Now it seems I have the task as my father did in keeping him out of Italy.
    Having relieved Segestica I headed south along the road east of the mountains.
    Having erected a tower on our southern border I back tracked over the mountains toward Salona.
    Here I found the VIII under siege.
    They were to be sent back to Italy to be reassigned and I found it my perogative to get them safely.
    So I headed down toward the river and attacked the Thousands of Greeks there.

Keeping losses to a minimum I sent the VIII toward Salona and headed 3 miles down the road toward the last greek army within site.

I received a distress call from Salona saying a greek army was outside a few miles off the coast.
    We hightailed it out from camp and made our way to their position.
    They like the others never stood a chance against the VI Ferrata.

my legions had only one thing to say after our victory.

Now as I write the south of Illyria is clear however I received more news that Segestica was once again under siege.
    We may just need to take this war to the Greeks again and show them once and for all who they are screwing with.
    I await your response.
    Propraetor of Illyricum
    S.Labienus Minor
    Last edited by Caesar Rex; June 15, 2008 at 12:45 PM.

Caesar stands his expression showing excitement

Senatores now its the time to strike as Labienus said therefore I am going to put a motion forward that we take dyrrachium and appolonia! We must end this war once and for all so no more plebian lives must be wasted on border patrols. Let us take epirus!!

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

"I support the idea of Servius.We must slaughter every Greek in that area and take those cities in our hands!"

O Sancta Simplicitas!

Caesar stands his expression one of ambition

Senatores let us go further then two cities...my father was fought against Pyrrus and was injured by the general himself my brother as well was prevented from having a military career because of greeks let us act now! Let us take not just Dyrachium and appolonia...but the WHOLE of greece! My plan is that we ship two legions into the small water inlet leading to corninth we then take the city we send one legion north and one south. We finish the greeks off!

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Tiberius, you would have us go into the lions den with little more than a butter knife. Two legions sent into the heart of Greece would be destroyed easily. Any invasion force must be more than a surgical strike, if we are to invade Greece, we must commit to it fully.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Caesar stands

So be it then we will have 4 legions! It is not a matter of the land we will take but 1000 dead plebs who fought to finish off the greeks is better then 4000 who died to prtect the borders!

Senator, have you even taken notice of the armies that the Greeks posses? As senator Aurelius Lepidus said, two legions will be annihilated. Even four legions will probably be overwhelmed. If we want to take Greece we will need many legions, and a huge treasury to recruit the sodiers who will fill the inevitable gaps in the legions.

Greece is one of the richest regions in the world, and the Greeks have used that to their advantage. I am not in disfavour of conquest, but I am in disfavour of us sending the legions into hell and certain death.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

We must send word to the consul to try and gain a ceasefire with the Gauls.
    That will enable us the use of the consular legions however they are not ready for this.
    Also Cisalpine and Sicilian legions can be used as I am sure under the command of of our Proconsuls is in good hands.
    Let us come up with a plan that will enable us to win victoriously.
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

If we would invade Greece, I request that information is gathered on all of the armies in Greece and the surrounding territories. We must know about the enemy situation before making plans to invade any new lands.
    If the situation in Greece is favourable, we have the manpower to win this war and the senate is willing, only then should we think of an invasion.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Indeed senator caelinus let us send spies but I will tell you this the more time we waste sitting and debating whether to invade the bigger the greek army becomes let us send sppies and our army. I do agree that we should wait till a gallic ceasefire is obtained

I can see that you think that, but rash action will come back at us in great amounts. First, send spies into Greece, at the same time try to negotiate with the Gauls.
    If that is done then we can continue the debate since we will know if it is even possible, and profitable, to invade Greece.

Caesar, you would argue for the plebs, but sending an army ino the middle of Greece! You fool! This would weaken our borders, our economy, our army! Do not begin to say it would strengthen us to destroy the Greeks now, instead of later. Would you have us invade Greece, just to be destroyed by the scheming Gauls, or the Carthaginians, or any other barbarian horde? No, at the first sign of weakeness, all enemies will be ravagin our lands. You would have us believe it is for the plebs that you argue this. But the plebs would suffer more if we do this! No, we must work our way into Greece. I propose we send spies and assassins. Use the spies to gain knowledge on the composition of the cities and armies of the Greeks, then use the assassins to destroy their economy and barracks. Weaken them from the inside, then strike a final blow with our legions. Do not think for one second we could take Greece the way it is now without enourmous casualties, more than have ever been seen or felt by a Roman army.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

I must congratulate the Governor of Illyria on his splendid victories there in his province. over 4100 dead Greeks will be quite a blow to their military power.

However, it seems like we are again approaching a Greek crisis like we did not a few years ago. Back then, like now, plans are being put forward for a Greek invasion. Senators were debating about amphibious invasions, southern excursions, spies and assassins to increase unrest and sabotage things, legions to be sent to attack and where... All of that was going on, and it is all starting again. And all through that time, we never made a single fixed decision, while for the whole time, Servius Labienus the Elder struggled with the veteran Legio VI Ferrata and others to hold the front.

Now, years later, we have reached a similar junction. Again, a Servius Labienus is at the front, the younger this time, but still commanding the same strong and faithful legion. Again, there is talk of what to do about the Greeks. But this time, we will actually do something? Will we actually pass any laws, vote on any motions, that will allow us to defeat Greece once and for all, and ensure that they never trouble us ever again? We must learn from our mistakes senators. Last time, we failed to drive out the power in the east, and instead we created a pact that allowed them to strengthen again. Will we do so again?

So, senators, we have to move things step by step, motion by motion. I think that to get this moving as quickly as possible, I will provide a list of motions that will help us move forward. In my opinion, discussion is not really apt for these topics, so if the Junior Consul would just post each motion up when the one above is passed, and we will get along very quickly. Let us make this term a term of decisions, and the next one a term of action!

List of motions:
    1. Do we invade Greece or not? Choices - Yes/No/Abstain
    2. Do we try to make an agreement first? Choices - Yes/No/Abstain
    3. How do we invade Greece? Choices - From north/south/west/east
    4. How many legions to send to invade? Choices - 1/2/3/4/more
    5. Who should head the invasion - discussion then motion from the candidates stated in discussion
    6. Do we send spies and assassins? Choices - Yes/No/Abstain

If anyone has anything more to add please do so. But if not, let the decision making begin!

ooc: Guys, the reason I'm doing this is cos I really want to see us moving forward in YATS. There are a few drivers of this RPG, and I think I am among them. I shall be leaving for an overseas orchestra tour for about 5 days so you won't see me around much then (I totally forgot about this when I ran for SC), but I want to see something done in the time that I'm away. I thought up this motion list so that we could get these things done.

So, I hope to see you at the end of the week, ready for the next term of action with decisions made and ready to move on. If anyone needs the save, it's with Caesar Rex until he passes it on. Good luck guys, and I'll see you in another 5 days.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast