Thread: A few "city" bugs

Default A few "city" bugs

I played RS 1.5a and so far I conquered 3/4 of the map.I usually attack cities when I got one or two heavy onagers but It happened once not to.So I sieged in the old fashion , with towers and so on.But In Egypt, despite the beauty of the cities' design I encountered a few problems.

- The narrow alleys in town ...make difficult troops, to arrange, to move etc

- I encountered something weird: I had two towers (Theba was the city so please check that for me) one to the left and one to the right walls. I deployed the cohorts safe on the walls but...when I tried to move them to the gate , to "make room" for my waiting troops outside the front walls, suprise!!!!!!!...They refused to go there...(and after one minute when I managed to comprehend what is happening, the tower which was opposed to the wall...killed me 1/4 of the cohort!!) and turned back and got off from the wall in the city!!!...The same in the right side of the siege!!! It has to be something with the design of the (new) wall I guess.In vanilla game I had no such problems with walls whatsoever.

I look forward for your feedback.So far the mod it's beautiful , I love the color and the precise design of the legion, the weather etc.Keep up the good work.When would be release the ver 2.0 ?
    Last edited by Flavius Maccus Opium; June 05, 2008 at 04:05 PM.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: A few "city" bugs

Nothing has been changed from vanilla in terms of city layout or walls, so any problems you have are all vanilla problems.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

The RTW engine has some problems with 'path finding'. I think some of this may be reduced when playing with smaller unit scales.

There are also problems when laying siege to a settlement with towers (with the upgraded walls). A number of times units will push towers to the wall but get stuck when trying to enter. I've experimented with changing the units deployment to a thin line but this has no effect. I usually get about half the units to get into the tower they were pushing.

I play at 'huge' settings and just put up with it.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

True, I noticed the problem with the towers (by the way...when are the simple siege towers and when are the upgraded ones , those complete sealed ? ) but I got the solution..You put the bumping soldiers to EXIT the tower and then switch right away to ENTER the tower.Slowly, making these moves 4-5 times you'll see you can put all the soldiers in the towers.I played with NORMAL on troops number because with LARGE when are more than two armies...I have 5-6 frames/sec )) even if I had a P4/300 , 1GB RAM and a GeForce 6800 GS 512MB !!!...I guess because of the detailed troops and the maps (they are bigger than vanilla's)

aaaaand...by the way...I lost 4 hours last night checking the "theory" of vanilla with defense walls in all EGYPT. THEY WORK there!...
    I can move soldiers in circle if I want on the city walls!!...So...something is wrong...I guess.If you have time please check the theba city in a siege and try to circle the soldiers on the walls.I can't make them move as I want.They refuse to go in the direction I choose and they climb down INTO the city when they get the first wall with "exit".

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius Maccus Opium View Post
    True, I noticed the problem with the towers (by the way...when are the simple siege towers and when are the upgraded ones , those complete sealed ? ) but I got the solution..You put the bumping soldiers to EXIT the tower and then switch right away to ENTER the tower.Slowly, making these moves 4-5 times you'll see you can put all the soldiers in the towers.I played with NORMAL on troops number because with LARGE when are more than two armies...I have 5-6 frames/sec )) even if I had a P4/300 , 1GB RAM and a GeForce 6800 GS 512MB !!!...I guess because of the detailed troops and the maps (they are bigger than vanilla's)
    I play on 'huge' settings.

Once I get a unit trying to enter a tower I cannot get them to leave it. I also can't get any other units into the tower, so they are a 'one off' siege weapon for me.

If I've built six towers I usually get at least two to work OK even with the upgraded ones. I usually build a ram just to divert the tower fire from the main gate (usually I have a siege tower either side of the gate). Once I control the gate I can move my army in. I usually try and attack two different gates as well.

I am fairly sure that the battle map is the same size as vanilla (it's probably hard-coded) it's just that the units have better detail.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

for all their problems, siege towers are useful.... free scorpions anyone?
    EDIT: for those of you who don't know, the unit that's pushing the tower will have the "fire at will" option available, even if they don't have melee weapons - but if you set it to ON as the tower is pushed, once they get in range of the city walls, the towers start firing arrows (if they're the wooden ones used against Stone Walls) or Scorpion bolts (if they're the massive ones used against Large/Epic Stone Walls). just a little tip for yer!
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius