20 44.44%
  • no

25 55.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nuclear weapons: Good or bad?

Valentin the II's Avatar Primicerius

Default Nuclear weapons: Good or bad?

Simple question really.
    Did the nuclear weapons have a positive efect on the world or would we be better of if they wernt created?

IMO the world is a mutch better place with nuclear weapons.
    If not for them there still could be major wars betwin the world powers.
    They are the perfect deterant.
    Born to be wild - live to outgrow it (Lao Tzu)
    Someday you will die and somehow something's going to steal your carbon
    In contrast to the efforts of tiny Israel to make contributions to the world so as to better mankind, one has to ask what have those who have strived to eliminate Israel from the face of the earth done other than to create hate and bloodshed.

Default Re: Nuclear weapons: Good or bad?

Of course they had a positive effect on the world. If not for them the war with Japan would have been fifty times as bloody and there would have probably been a war with the USSR. No more world wars thanks to nukes, too.
    "People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

In Soviet Russia you want Uncle Sam.

I think nuclear weapons are good, but mostly very bad. They kill thousands of innocent people like the bombing of Hiroshima, but it helped the US win the war and stop the onslaught of the evil Japs. Also, nuclear weapons will be the largest threat to man kind according to John Titor. There will be a nuclear holocaust that starts World War III in 2015.

Syron's Avatar Civitate

Ohh, neck and neck.

I believe them to be on the whole good, though in the hands of rational people.

Personally I think any weapon so powerful that even the threat of it's use prevents people engaging in conflict is in the grand scheme of things a pretty good weapon.

Far more people have been killed by conventional bombs than have been by nuclear weapons.

Of course this only works if they are in the hands of a group that is reasonably sane. But then isn't the same with all weapons?
    Last edited by Syron; June 04, 2008 at 08:42 PM.
    Member and acting regent of the House of Kazak Borispavlovgrozny
    Under the patronage of Kazak Borispavlovgrozny
    Freedom from religion is just as much a basic human right as freedom of it.

Particle Physics Gives Me a Hadron

They are horrible, and they have always been horrible. Someone please explain how they deter war anymore than an extremely powerful conventional weapon would. Also, don't forgot that if they get into the wrong hands they aren't so great anymore.

Environmentalist, traditionalist & plain old PC gamer.

Syron's Avatar Civitate

How many "extremely powerful" conventional weapons have you seen? There is a reason Nuclear weapons are rated in megatons equivalent to TNT (i.e you'd need a bomb of TNT weighing a couple of megatons to have the same effect, that is a practical impossibility).

They are the only feasible weapon capable of being powerful enough to deter war.
    Member and acting regent of the House of Kazak Borispavlovgrozny
    Under the patronage of Kazak Borispavlovgrozny
    Freedom from religion is just as much a basic human right as freedom of it.

Particle Physics Gives Me a Hadron

Theyre like a spring-loaded detterent though. Every day theyre being pushed back further and further. and one day either the spring will be stuck or it will push all the mess upwards.
    Nontheless for all this, they have a positive effect on the world. Besides that since when could you deter any weapon from eventually being created?
    "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Problem Sleuth's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Icon9 Re: Nuclear weapons: Good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by roy34543 View Post
    Theyre like a spring-loaded detterent though. Every day theyre being pushed back further and further. and one day either the spring will be stuck or it will push all the mess upwards.
    Nontheless for all this, they have a positive effect on the world. Besides that since when could you deter any weapon from eventually being created?
    Right. Please, tell me. Which country is willing to use nukes? They would be reduced to a smouldering pile of slag in retaliation, losing excessive amounts of their population that will take many years to recover. Find me a country that is willing to invade one with nukes. There's a reason why Iran wants them, there's a reason why North Korea wants them. They don't want to be invaded!
    Armed with your TOMMY GUN, you are one hard boiled lug. Nobody mess with this tough guy, see?

Then we will just have to agree to disagree. Because i belive Iran will use them eventually and perhaps many other countries. Better then 7 world wars instead in the interval though.
    "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Then we will just have to agree to disagree. Because i belive Iran will use them eventually and perhaps many other countries. Better then 7 world wars instead in the interval though.
    For what purpose? Again, no country is that stupid. That's like shooting someone randomly in the middle of a NAFTA conference - you will, in turn, be shot to pieces.
    Armed with your TOMMY GUN, you are one hard boiled lug. Nobody mess with this tough guy, see?

Stupidity and Hope, The usual culprits for such things betinator. The stupidity of sending one (perhaps even by a terrorist group or independent one) because of the belief that it will aid others more somehow, and the faint hope that you will not be attacked back.

They're not really made for complete military targets but to cripple a nations, not it's soldiers but it's people. They're an environmental disaster. It doesn't just kill but affects the generations to come. Also if anyone is stupid enough to use them we'll really not gonna have those 7 World Wars in that interval as it will be the last one.
    The Armenian Issue

Valentin the II's Avatar Primicerius

Some people here ceep saying how dangerous nuclear weapons are.
    But you must understand this: Unles they get into the hands of international terorists (that arent tied to a specific country) no one is ever gona use them.
    They are the ultimate weapons and the onely thing that ceeps a relative peace on this earth.
    Born to be wild - live to outgrow it (Lao Tzu)
    Someday you will die and somehow something's going to steal your carbon
    In contrast to the efforts of tiny Israel to make contributions to the world so as to better mankind, one has to ask what have those who have strived to eliminate Israel from the face of the earth done other than to create hate and bloodshed.

I will go for the "Yes". Killing those hundreds of thousands of people in Japan avoided millions of other deaths. We actually spoke of that in Philosophy classes. What happened in Japan in the WW2 will make sure it won't happen again (at least as long as the human brain is guided by reason).

If the question was "Will nuclear weapons have a positive effect on the world?", my answer would obviously be a "NO".
    "God forbid that I should go to any Heaven where there are no horses" - R.B. Cunningham-Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin the II View Post
    Some people here ceep saying how dangerous nuclear weapons are.
    But you must understand this: Unles they get into the hands of international terorists (that arent tied to a specific country) no one is ever gona use them.
    They are the ultimate weapons and the onely thing that ceeps a relative peace on this earth.

But one country already used it. And what if that officer in Russia actually retaliated a computer glitch?
    The Armenian Issue

Stupidity and Hope, The usual culprits for such things betinator. The stupidity of sending one (perhaps even by a terrorist group or independent one) because of the belief that it will aid others more somehow, and the faint hope that you will not be attacked back.
    That's like saying Canada is bound to invade the US within ten years because of the faint hope that we won't fight back. If you begin nuking them and killing millions of their people, a-duh! They're going to retaliate! I mean, look how worked up the US got about 3,000 people dying at the Twin Towers. We invaded two countries over it, one justified and one not. Now, instead three million die - that's a VERY conservative estimate for nuclear war. One thousand times the deaths. Do you honestly think any country would hold back?

But one country already used it. And what if that officer in Russia actually retaliated a computer glitch?
    Yes, in order to prevent WWII from continuing to a West vs Russia conventional war by deterring them from attacking, and saving millions of deaths that would occur through an invasion of Japan at the same time. And I don't think you get how high-priority these things are... It would require thousands of computers to have the exact same glitch at the exact same time.
    Last edited by Problem Sleuth; June 05, 2008 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertinator View Post
    Yes, in order to prevent WWII from continuing to a West vs Russia conventional war by deterring them from attacking, and saving millions of deaths that would occur through an invasion of Japan at the same time. And I don't think you get how high-priority these things are... It would require thousands of computers to have the exact same glitch at the exact same time.

Yes, it saved American soldiers yet created a crippled generation. It was a major test for the bomb on a civilian target. Stalin was brutal but never stupid. He knew he didn't have the resources to fight with USA right after the WW2.

I do have a sense of how nuclear weapons are handled. Not even a major blast would trigger a nuclear warhead and there are numerous safe checks. Yet the glitch did happen in the Soviet Union. If Russia did respond to the glitch and started a full strike on USA, I'm sure USA wouldn't just let it go Russians saying that they thought USA was striking Russia. I can't see why you're trying not to see reality.
    The Armenian Issue

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

In the same way that the sword is good and the automatic rifle.Nuclear weapons are a side effect of man's desire to kill his brethren in more and more callous and expedient means

Hound of Ulster's Avatar Senator

the problem is, with the advent of stealth and presicion-guided muntitions, nukes art obsolete.
    'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' Plato

'Killing is Negotiating' A militiaman in 'Blackhawk Down'

Nukes and conventional smart weapons serve entirely different purposes, so I don't see how stealth technology and guided weapons make nukes obsolete.
    "People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

In Soviet Russia you want Uncle Sam.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast