Thread: forts, hard to maintain

Default forts, hard to maintain

I think in the vanilla version, I only needed to garrison 2 or 3 cheap units and the forts' happiness would be good. It were the cities that i had trouble keeping happy once the population goes up.

In this mod, it is the opposite. I have to have at least half a stack of units in a fort for it to maintain order. even with a general in it. this is very costly. and i think it defeats one of the purpose of forts: to respond to a military need nearby. If I have a city nearby that is under siege, I cannot mobilize my army in the fort to help lift the siege because I need an army in my fort constantly to keep order.

Any thoughts on that?

p.s. I also think that it might be a good idea to have more free upkeeps in forts because of the high number of units you need to maintain order. actually, generally speaking, shouldnt forts be able to have more free upkeeps anyway before it is the center of military activities?

THARN's Avatar Senator

Default Re: forts, hard to maintain

are you sure your talking about forts?
    or towns? or castles?

you dont need to keep anyone in a fort.

if its a small castle, or town- if your religion conversion is above 75% - and you have a couple things built to help with the ppls happiness..ie- curch/barracks/brothel// you dont need as many units there.
    if its a town -you can always lower the tax rate to help too.

im not sure i understand the question/statement- hope this helps

im talking about castles sorry. but i have a few fortresses and its hard to maintain their order. I have built every single building already. the religion is 105% catholic, which is VERY odd because it still has religious unrest as part of the cause for unhappiness

let me show you. as you can see, my citadel has built every possible building. its order is at 60%! i already have about 9 units in the settlement. I move some out, it drops down to 60%. granted that this is not the greatest governor, but if he is not there, it would revolt. my question is whether this mod has made it difficult to maintain a castle and what can i do to maintain a castle without the obvious filling it up with units?

RJA's Avatar Semisalis

Damn you got 400k. Just train a whole army an keep it in your fort. Otherwise, your citadel has a population of 17000. That is a lot, like a large city I think. So keeping one unit in to guard 17000 men is rather hard. Besides that is a bad governor.
    Just my 2 cents.

RJA
    If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences
    William Thomas

Castles can't produce spy, and spies help to maintain order. Train a spy in the nearest town, send it to the castle and it will lower your unrest.

I would like to know.. how he got all of that money

haha trade is very important. most of my income is trade. but seriously guys? the only way to keep them happy at a castle is to garrison? damn...well I guess i could do the unthinkable: take my army out, let them revolt, attack it, massacre to reduce population....:[

Bob the Insane's Avatar Semisalis

I would definately get a spy and priest in there... It is the Unrest and Religious Unrest that is tipping you over the edge in public order...

Does the governor make any difference? Does it change if you take him out?

Just my 2 cents...

THARN's Avatar Senator

too many ppl. in there for one/as rja stated- with all that money you should have a small army garrisoned in there anyway- you owe it to the people.
    try playing on a tougher level where you barely scrape by with a couple hundred + gold per turn.... then we'll talk.
    (last part was just me sulking because of the campaign im in) lol

@THARN,

Mind sharing your troubles with us? I am guessing you are playing as the TO and did not expand fast enough at the start? That happened to me once, start off slow and you will be to small a faction to seriously challenge anybody later on. Playing as the TO you really need to capture Kalmar before the Danes get their. And Stockholm and Visby help give you the further income you need to wage wars as well! Only with a good income can you hope to defeat your enemies.

Dave

THARN's Avatar Senator

It's a long story, but I'll try and keep it brief.
    Actually I played as Milan- put about 135 turns into it and then just gave up//lol.

Most of my troubles were due to the Pope not keeping Venice and France off of my ass.
    Even though I was allied with the Papal states and had very good relations.
    and at times even perfect with the Papacy. Yet- Venice still kept attacking me without getting excommunicated, as was Sicily.
    At least France was told to back off a few times when they laid siege.
    The damndest thing too- If I did as little as blockaded a port on Venice or Sicily or France- I was given the ol' do not attack 'so and so' for 7 turns by the Pope. yet when it was turned around- the majority of the time nothing would be done to Sicily and Venice especially! I was losing my mind..lol I would curse my computer every turn. Even though at one point Venice had one star of how the pope felt about them- yet they were never excommunicated. unbelievable.

You would think that I was the aggressor from the start- but I truly stayed away from attacking any other Catholic faction- especially Sicily, Venice and France. I only attacked France when they were excommunicated around turn 50 in the game.

So add up being at war with France(Major power) Venice(Major Power) and those bastards from Sicily- along with The Moors and I had no chance of survival. I gave it a good run, toward the end I was allied with the Papalstates/ HRE, Spain, Portugal and England,
    but that didn't help me one bit

I tried to have a cease fire with all that I was at war with but only the Moors would allow it. At one point I had control of about 11 regions- when I gave up I was down to 4. Thats ok- I can accept a loss- I just wish the the Popes would treat everyone equally... bastards.

My last game I played as Sicily and won it(small campaign- 29 regions and destroy Moors) but that was the last version of the mod.
    I play on H/H - I stated before that I wouldnt have a chance on VH/VH-i dont know how you guys do it. I enjoy keeping it with a role playing feel and taking my time.
    You know one of the things that really screws me up is the garrison script- just when I start getting my income in order- ill get some ass to attack my main city and boom- all these units pop in that I have to pay for- having them pop in and paying for them isnt that bad part- whats bad is to have to pay the upkeep right away- its a double whammy that really hurts the bank account.
    Love the mod- hate the Papacy- it is what it is...

Hmm.. normally when you get the warning to stop attacking another Catholic faction your enemy gets it as well. I've noticed this a lot of times, I ceased my attacks and then the AI got themselves excommunicated a few turns later. The Pope has never been to much of a problem for me apart from when he dared to call a crusade on my capital!

About the garrison script, if you have enough watch towers and forts built in the right places you should be able meet any invading army before they can lay siege to Milan. And being at war with so many other Catholics at one time, France, Venice, and Sicily is going to make the Pope less likely to support you. Anyway I hope you still enjoyed your campaign. Losing a campaign can actually be more fun than winning one in a strange kind of way.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; June 06, 2008 at 04:17 AM.

THARN's Avatar Senator

Yes- Forts around Milan- that would have worked- I was too busy building up my other towns and didn't spend the dough on these.
    I'll be sure to use this tactic next time.

Hmm.. normally when you get the warning to stop attacking another Catholic faction your enemy gets it as well. I've noticed this a lot of times, I ceased my attacks and then the AI got themselves excommunicated a few turns later. The Pope has never been to much of a problem for me apart from when he dared to call a crusade on my capital!
    Agreed, I can usually hold out and play docile until the Pope boots the aggressor. But this last game- It just didn't happen.
    Actually - even the last one that I completed as Sicily- Venice was always in good standing, yet declared war on me early and I could never get a cease fire. Venice annexed Milan early so I had them to deal with too.
    In both matches- a number of my Cardinals became the Pope -yet...,
    Venice was never excommunicated or put in their place.
    - I'm guessing the Venetians kept giving the Papacy gold every turn. While there I was with tons of Cardinals lots of churches- taking the Moors land away from them and keeping in good standing with other Catholic factions... and still barely keeping toward the middle in my standings with the Pope.

Also agree about losing- I don't mind at all, I enjoy strategy games the most. Wheres the challenge if you know your going to win all the time.