Thread: Running RTRVII using alex.exe

Default Running RTRVII using alex.exe

Hello all. First and foremost.
    What an amazing mod! You guys have taken an older game and entranced me with it like it's a brand new game. What an amazing job you all have done, and thank you.

So with that said... I've heard around that the using the Alexander executable for mods results in better AI behavior, things like naval invasions being more prevalent etc, etc. However I can't seem to get RTRVII to run using alex.exe.
    This is what my target line states:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-ALX.exe" -mod:RTRVII -w 1920 -h1200 -show_err -noalexander
    Mod loads up, seems fine, but when I select the single player campaign I get an error message telling me I don't have 1.6 installed. I know I do, I checked BI options screen, vr 1.6.

So I changed it to read:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-BI.exe"" -mod:RTRVII -w 1920 -h1200 -show_err -noalexander
    Icon changes to Barbarian Invasion icon, but RTRVII Mod loads up, I can get into the kingdom picking screen, however the main menu background is back to the original rome total war background video, and I no longer see the static building and it doesn't say hotfix 1 at the top right, just the RTW background video.

My question is, has this successfully used the alex.exe to launch RTRVII? Main menu background be damned, or has it destroyed the patch and hotfix, and probably error riddled? I can load saved games so far.

• Can we use alex.exe to run RTRVII?

• If so, what is the appropriate tag line to insert into the target?

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Running RTRVII using alex.exe

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

I'm thinking the problem is alexander uses RTW on 1.5, and RTRVII needs vr 1.6?

Has anyone successfully used alex.exe to lauch RTRVII?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=3492

But this is before patch so it's not compatible with current version. All mods can use ALX as long as it does not use some BI specif feature like horde.

Nice link, thanks. I d/l the files. I then copied the alex files into my RTRVII data folder, copied the chat_filter.san file from Alexander into the RTRVII data folder. The game started to load, but soon I got numerous crashes, relating to units like Rhodesian slingers, Thracian skirmisher types, various Egyptian units, from the export_descr_buildings.txt file. So I removed all traces of any unit throwing errors, and the game loaded up, with a cool new video too. Went to options saw I was indeed running RTRVII on patch 1.9. However when I attempted to load a new campaign, I selected my faction, clicked the button to start the campaign, crash. This time no error report, or line of code to search out, simply end program crash.

I'm having the worst luck with this process.

As I said it's not compatible with current RTR VII version. I think it was made for RTR VII v1.0.

Ah can't wait for the new patch then. Thanks for all your help.

Calippya's Avatar Laetus

Hey i recently got rtrpevii working ( on Alexander) and am very happy with the whole mod but I cant get the console working or any unit stat changes. Is there some secret file you guys put in cuz I've changed the Descr_shortcuts and the export_descr_units in all the files i can find but the game is not finding them so to say. any help? thank you for any help and the awesome mod!

Calippya's Avatar Laetus

Nvm find another file path in there with some more data files