Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to Russia

Default Going to Russia

Hi, I'm going to Russia soon, and I've got a few questions to ask about the place. I've always wanted to go there, because it is beautiful, and because of its unique culture and its historical significance. But during my preparations, I've heard lots of bad stuff about Russia. No offence, but I heard that crime rates are very high and there are plenty of criminals, pickpockets, kidnappers, conmen etc... around and one of their prime targets and tourists and thus it is not safe to move around by yourself, even to the toilet. I understand that criminals throughout the world target tourists, but from what I heard about Russia, it is really scary. Is this true?

I also heard that the water there is unclean, and you shouldn't even boil tap water or use it to brush your teeth? Again how true is this? Seems rather exaggerated really.

Oh, and then I've heard about corrupt officials and police etc... who would love extorting money from people, like tourists. True?

Thanks. Again, no offence to any Russians here.
    Last edited by Gungalley; June 02, 2008 at 10:46 PM.

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Going to Russia

You can expect those things everywhere you go in the world.
    Now, I don't know how bad is it in Russia, but I do know it is biggest country in the World and that tap water question is useless unless you say where you're going.

And those things aren't scary. Somalian pirates are scary! These are common things you find around places with a lot of tourists.
    Has signatures turned off.

True that, but I'd like to know the extent of it. I've been to places India and Egypt, but we encountered little of such problems. Im going to Moscow and St Petersburg btw.

These stories seem to be thought up for every country to scare tourists. Sure, stuff like that COULD happen but it's unlikely, I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungalley View Post
    True that, but I'd like to know the extent of it. I've been to places India and Egypt, but we encountered little of such problems. Im going to Moscow and St Petersburg btw.
    Well, if you're going to St.Petersburg and Moscow, you shouldn't have to worry about dirty tap water. Also, you'd find many people, especially in St.Petersburg, who will be able to speak English (not very well, but still).

As for pickpockets, and thieves, that happens everywhere, and except common sense, there isn't really a defense against it. It's just like in any other country: avoid dark alleys after midnight, stick to the main streets, etc..

Can you speak Russian? Are you going with a friend or someone who can?

For sightseeing, Kremlin is an obvious one - make sure you spend at least two days there, as there is a lot to see. Make you sure you visit the numerous orthodox churches/cathedrals - they're very beautiful. Also, I recommend you take a cruise of the Moskva river - especially during the evening, when the city lights up.

As for St. Petersburg, it's also a very beautiful city - make sure you visit the Summer/Winter Palace! The Hermitage is also a must-see, even if you're not into art. Also make sure you go through the Palace Bridge - a famous landmark of St.Petersburg.

Valus's Avatar Natura, artis magistra

Moved
    Under the patronage of Søren
    The proud liege of Mimirswell, Proximus, Rhah, Phaedo and EmperorJulian

Former Moderator and Senatorii
    Member of the House of Caesars

Quote Originally Posted by FirstManOnTheMoon View Post
    Well, if you're going to St.Petersburg and Moscow, you shouldn't have to worry about dirty tap water. Also, you'd find many people, especially in St.Petersburg, who will be able to speak English (not very well, but still).

As for pickpockets, and thieves, that happens everywhere, and except common sense, there isn't really a defense against it. It's just like in any other country: avoid dark alleys after midnight, stick to the main streets, etc..

Can you speak Russian? Are you going with a friend or someone who can?

For sightseeing, Kremlin is an obvious one - make sure you spend at least two days there, as there is a lot to see. Make you sure you visit the numerous orthodox churches/cathedrals - they're very beautiful. Also, I recommend you take a cruise of the Moskva river - especially during the evening, when the city lights up.

As for St. Petersburg, it's also a very beautiful city - make sure you visit the Summer/Winter Palace! The Hermitage is also a must-see, even if you're not into art. Also make sure you go through the Palace Bridge - a famous landmark of St.Petersburg.
    I've got a local guide. So it should be fine. I definitely want to take the river cruise, but i believe there may be some objections in my group. Some of them are those 'been there done that' kind of people, and they think that stuff like river cruises are a waste of money.

I've got a local guide. So it should be fine. I definitely want to take the river cruise, but i believe there may be some objections in my group. Some of them are those 'been there done that' kind of people, and they think that stuff like river cruises are a waste of money.
    Do you mean that they have been in Russia before, or they just don't want to take the cruise? It's not that expensive, you know, if you're a foreign tourist.

St Petersburg water ain't nice. I went there last year and it was yellow.... Yeah. Moscow's fine, full of hot girls too.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstManOnTheMoon View Post
    Do you mean that they have been in Russia before, or they just don't want to take the cruise? It's not that expensive, you know, if you're a foreign tourist.
    Nope they haven't. But they just don't think its grand like St. Basil's and such. Like back in Hungary with teh same group, they were disappointed with the river cruise along the Danube. I wasn't. I thoguht it was beautiful. Sigh.

Georgy Zhukov's Avatar Primicerius

Bring a jacket, my cousins tell me its about 10 degrees centigrade

Hi, I'm going to Russia soon, and I've got a few questions to ask about the place. I've always wanted to go there, because it is beautiful, and because of its unique culture and its historical significance. But during my preparations, I've heard lots of bad stuff about Russia. No offence, but I heard that crime rates are very high and there are plenty of criminals, pickpockets, kidnappers, conmen etc... around and one of their prime targets and tourists and thus it is not safe to move around by yourself, even to the toilet. I understand that criminals throughout the world target tourists, but from what I heard about Russia, it is really scary. Is this true?
    You should have a native russian (preferably an adult) with you as your guide, but things like this are exaggerated. Russia gets millions of tourists and the majority are treated well, because the majority of russian people are decent, kind and helpful. Just stay out of places where you arent wanted. Having a guide who knows whichever particular city you find yourself in is helpful.

I also heard that the water there is unclean, and you shouldn't even boil tap water or use it to brush your teeth? Again how true is this? Seems rather exaggerated really.
    Sounds like complete bullcrap to me, i took showers in russia, and my skin didnt melt. I brushed my teeth in russia, and my teeth didn't fall out. You'll be fine. Though I dont know why you would want to go to russia to drink water, if you're going to russia shouldnt you be trying traditional russian drinks, like kvas or something?

Oh, and then I've heard about corrupt officials and police etc... who would love extorting money from people, like tourists. True.
    Corruption in government and police is true, if a cop stops you for something minor you could pay him off, its expected and its not as frowned upon there as it is in america. Having a russian native guide do this sort of thing for you is preferable. During my trip through the Ukraine a cop stopped us for speeding and my uncle paid him off to go away. Everyone in russia seems to do this, it's commonplace.

Just remember that Russia isn't America, conduct yourself nobly with respect. smile, be polite, learn a few russian words. You'll be fine.
    Last edited by RZZZA; June 03, 2008 at 02:56 PM.

There's supposed to be a lot of stray dogs in Moscow, especially in the Metro, just stay away from those. You should be fine, although sometimes the police will stop you for no real reason and look for any excuse to extort money out of you, so says my sister.

Dunecat's Avatar Praefectus

Boil the tap water.

I'm serious.

If all the Russian tap water is bad then Russia wouldn't be alive today.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Trax's Avatar It's a conspiracy!

I was in St Petersburg 10 years ago, the situation was probably lot worse back then, I must have had some of that water too and I'm still alive. Don't drink water, drink alcohol, it's cheeper over there than water in the western world.

From what I heard tourists in Russia will only have problems if they have colored skins.

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

who drinks water in russia anyway? i used water to wash myself with an to brush my teeth/comb my hair, not to drink.

if youre in russia, drink russian drinks, like kvas or go to the super market and buy some all natural russian juice, its like 2 times better than the juice they tend to sell here in america.

or hell, buy a coke, the formula they use there is different from the formula we use for our coca cola here.

i wouldnt worry about the water anyway, its not some obscure african country after all where people drink from murky wells.
    Last edited by RZZZA; June 05, 2008 at 02:32 PM.

What! I heard the stores were always empty in Russia !
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Quote Originally Posted by jankren View Post
    From what I heard tourists in Russia will only have problems if they have colored skins.
    Only if they run into skinheads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast