Page 7 of 121 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257107 ... LastLast

Thread: -- Preview of Gondor --

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: --Unit Preview--Gondor--

I was again wrong

From the Encyclopedia of Arda:

"A force of the soldiers of Gondor, selected from the descendants of the people who had dwelt in Ithilien before it fell from Gondor's control."

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

That must be where I rememeber it from.

It makes sense really when you think about it. Gondor probably would have given their elite troops the best armour and kept them in the most important places, such as Osgiliath or Minas Tirith. The Rangers had motavition as well. They were fighting to take back their homeland

But we have to remember that Rangers of Ithilien had most toughest part in Gondor's army. And I suppose that's why Denethor put Faramir to lead Rangers of Ithilien.

Yeah, true. I suppoes in the mod they should have an extra hit point but still have low defence

Agreed

Those models look truly amazing! I think you have done a great job of capturing both movies and books with this! The swan knights are particularly impressive...

My only wish would be to change the colour of the citadel guard's cloak from purple (which is really not Gondors color ) to a dark blue (which they wore in the movies).

Otherwise, keep up the fantastic work!
    "He is suffering from Politician's Logic: 'Something must be done, this is something, therefore we must do it.'"
    - Yes, Prime Minister

My only wish would be to change the colour of the citadel guard's cloak from purple (which is really not Gondors color ) to a dark blue (which they wore in the movies).
    I think KK said he was going to change them

This preview will be on the front page tomorrow.
    Son of _Pontifex_Father to Mithrandir
    - Citizen, Artifex, Civitate - Librarian

Third Age: Total War - Most Promising Mod of 2008
    2D Graphical Artist & Moderator

Fenix_120's Avatar Senator

Actually after looking at them the normal Knights of Dol Amroth seem a bit out of place to me, the chain mail armor looks like a 12th century "Norman" style that does not suit the 15th century "Italian" style of the rest of Gondors units...

looks freakin amazing!

The Sixth Wizard's Avatar Semisalis

Looks amazing, but these models are entirely unrealistic. Gondor often fought in harsh lands like Harad, sailed on ships and were not unused to a long march. How on earth could they do that in such heavy armour? I know in the movies the men on the front line were covered in plate, but in the books, not even dwarves wore plate armour, they wore chainmail.

I could see maybe the most elite of Gondor's units wearing that plate armour, or a Romanesque standard issue suit, but to have the basic Gondor infantry hop straight into full plate armour is not right. Remember that the Rangers were the best troops Gondor had, and they presumable fought unarmoured.

Please, save us the silvery-white monotony and give Gondor some peasants or levy troops or something, not barded knights as a staple.
    Third Age: Total War! (!!!!)

During the Third Age, Gondor never fought in Harad. They were too busy trying to repel Mordor. Anyway this mod is based on the movies so yeah, it should look like the movie. Even in the book Gondor's armies were heavily armoured, so I don't know where you came up with that. If I could see some quotes to prove your point then maybe it would worth having a discussion about.

Remember that the Rangers were the best troops Gondor had, and they presumable fought unarmoured.
    Look at the top of this page, me and Varjon had a discussion about this.
    Last edited by ccllnply; June 06, 2008 at 04:52 AM.

During the Third Age, Gondor never fought in Harad.
    Ahem. A previous king of Gondor's name, Hyarmendacil, means South-Conqueror. Aragorn himself destroyed a navy of Umbar when fighting under the alias of Thorongil in the service of Gondor and Rohan. The men of Gondor only had to start fighting Sauron after he was ousted from Dol Guldur, before that the fighting was more defending against skirmish raids by the Nazgul.

Gondor fought sometimes in Harad and for sometime Harad and Umbar were parts of Gondor during the Third Age when Gondor was on it's strongest. But true, at the end of Third Age those armors are proper since army of Gondor mostly fought in Osgiliath or somewhere else in river Anduin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sixth Wizard View Post
    Ahem. A previous king of Gondor's name, Hyarmendacil, means South-Conqueror. Aragorn himself destroyed a navy of Umbar when fighting under the alias of Thorongil in the service of Gondor and Rohan. The men of Gondor only had to start fighting Sauron after he was ousted from Dol Guldur, before that the fighting was more defending against skirmish raids by the Nazgul.
    Well I meant the main desert of Harad, where they would not have wore armour but whatever. Seeing as you only replied to 9 words in my post it looks like you can't prove anything about the Gondorian Infantry

You are right about that. Gondor mainly conquered coastals of Harad and moved by ships

I don't think that the Fountain Guards should have pikes. Their job was to defend Minas Tirith. Defending inside a city without a shield is not very wise.
    They should have a spear and a shield and be able to form a shield wall to hold the enemy at bay and create an impassable barrier. A pike unit inside a city makes no sense for me.

The Fourth Age: Total War - Map Manager, Editor and Coder

Not so hasty, friend, I cannot remember LOTR word for word.

For the muster of Minas Tirith:

Forlong the Fat was mail-clad. This is a main general and he wears only mail, it doesn't say anything about his horse being covered either. Morthond musters 500 bowmen for the defence of Minas Tirith. The men of Anfalas were "scantily equipped save for the men of their lord". Hirluin the Fair had "green clad men". Only the Knights of Dol Amroth were in "full harness". Hardly a battle line of plate covered super men for the last defence, was it?

I have never found a single mention of plate armour for line-standard troops. Notice even the elite have only mail. Mithril is made into mail shirts. What more proof do you need? I have the book nearby and there's probably a description of Tower Guards in there.

<EDIT>

Ah, here we are.

"The Guards of the Gate were robed in black, their helms ... were indeed wrought with mithril, heirlooms of the glory of old days. Upon the black surcoats were embroidered a tree blossoming like snow beneath a silver crown and many-pointed stars."
    Last edited by The Sixth Wizard; June 06, 2008 at 05:28 AM.

The men of Anfalas were from the west of Gondor and were under no real treat. So you would except them to be lightly armoured. The Knight of Dol Amroth have chain mail in this mod. Look at the preview again. I can't find my copy of LOTR around so this is really all the discussing I can do. Although as I said before this mod is mainly based on the movie so either way, I'm right

You're not right, you're innocent 'till proven guilty.

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/c/ciryaher.html