Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344

Thread: Greatest General Ever?

Default Re: Greatest General Ever?

Subotai obviously. The problem though is that the amount of sources regarding his exploits is extremely low. But his campaigns in eastern Europe are sheer brilliant if looked at from a strategical point of view.

http://www.amazon.com/Genghis-Khans-...3901799&sr=1-1

This is way too hard, I'll give a few though

-Caesar
    -Saladin
    -Genghis khan
    -De Saxe
    -Fredrick the great
    -Gustav
    -Suvorov
    -Manstein
    -Patton
    -Hindenburg

Visiar's Avatar Centenarius

As above, too hard to pinpoint it to one man, but lists can be provided.

Alexander the Great
    Hannibal
    Napoleon
    Caesar
    Cyrus the Great
    Robert E. Lee

"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right"
    -Billy Graham
    When did you become interested in politics?
    The very instant I became old.

Belisaire_'s Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Lucarius View Post
    Field Marshal Erwin Johannes Eugen Rommel
    Why ? he got more defeats than victories.

Quote Originally Posted by Visiar View Post

Alexander the Great
    Hannibal
    Napoleon
    Caesar
    Cyrus the Great
    Robert E. Lee
    This list is one of the best so far.

maybe only question Robert e. lee but i dont know too much about him the war so i think i need to get some books on that.

Hannibal...

... lector, hehehehee
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    May I suggest ya'll get back on topic. Talk about Napoleon's ethnicity in another thread, this thread is about a leashed penis...
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    Life is routine, punctuated by excitement.

Aibolit's Avatar Libertus

Alexander Suvorov - 24 November 1729 – 18 May 1800 (aged 70)

One of the few great generals in history who never lost a battle along with the likes of Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan, he was famed for his military manual The Science of Victory and noted for the sayings "What is difficult in training will become easy in a battle", "The bullet is a fool, the bayonet is a fine chap", "Perish yourself but rescue your comrade!". He taught his soldiers to attack instantly and decisively: "attack with the cold steel–push hard with the bayonet!" His soldiers adored him. He joked with the men, called the common soldiers 'brother', and shrewdly presented the results of detailed planning and careful strategy as the work of inspiration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suvorov

Battle of Rymnik

In the Battle of Rymnik (September 22, 1789) took place in Wallachia, near Râmnicu Sărat, during the Russo-Turkish War. The Russian general Alexander Suvorov, acting together with the Habsburg general Prince Josias of Coburg, attacked the main Ottoman army under Grand Vizier Koca Yusuf Pasha, following a grueling night march.

In a pitched battle lasting only a few hours, the Russian and Habsburg forces, numbering only about 25,000[citation needed], drove back the 60,000[citation needed] Ottoman soldiers, inflicting heavy casualties. For this victory, Suvorov was awarded the title of "Count of Rymnik" (граф Рымникский). The victory also resulted in the retreat of Ottoman forces from the Danubian Principalities, leading to the occupation of Wallachia by Habsburg troops.

25.000 Russian and Austrians VS 60.000 - 100.000 Ottomans
    Results: 700 died Russians, 26.000 died Ottomans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Rymnik
    Last edited by Aibolit; September 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM.
    'For the Persia! For the Ahura-Mazda and Khosrow! CHAARGE!!!' Shahr Baraz, "Aper of the Empire", Hammer of the Romans, during the siege of Constantinople, 621 a.c.

err Alexander the great, Genghis Khan and Khalid Ibn...something a.k.a Sword of Allah. He messed everybody's day up with a bunch of raggardy Arab horsemen.

Prince of Darkness's Avatar Campidoctor

My personnal list:
    No. 1. Alexander (Gaugamela and Issus are the best examples of his generalship, while his bravery is also admired)
    No. 2. Napoleon (His magnificant Italy, 1805, and 1806 campaigns and the legendary Six Days Campaign are the best. But his overconfidence and his inapt subordinates cost him his empire)
    No. 3 Genghis Khan and other Mongols such as Subotai and Ogedai (The world's first blitzkrieg warfare)
    No. 4 Hannibal (Cannae and Lake Trasimene are brilliant and ruthless)
    I would say Frederick the Great and Caesar are slightly overrated. Especially Frederick where he was often defeated in 7YW when possessing similar odds with his enemy. But I would rank Frederick higher than Caesar simply because of his determination.
    Last edited by Prince of Darkness; September 12, 2010 at 06:21 AM.
    WARNING:
    The comment above may contain offensive material that may or may not be appropriate for people above the age of 18. The guidance of your children is advised unless you press the green little button with a plus under the avatar.
    Please, please, PLEASE, god... If you give us back Freddie Mercury, we will not only give you Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus... We will give you the whole disney realitystarcrew!!!
    And if you're wondering if it's worth to give up your favourite artist, then we'll throw Jay Z and Lady Gaga in the pool too

avion365's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ojf View Post
    you obviously have no idea what you're talking about, maybe if you stop being such an Islamophobe you would accept the facts
    i don't have any prejudice ageist Muslims, Saladin was a honorable man but not what i consider a good general, YOU do not know what you are talking about if you say that anyone who disagrees with you doesn't like Muslims. the only reason Saladin is in the history books was because he was the person to become the first sultan of Egypt and Syria and happened to be the person who got his army there fist to Jerusalem and was there during the third crusade. Good achievement but not what i consider the best due to the fact that he beat a all ready weakened and declining nation. and next time, don't call me a name or I WILL report you to the mods, i don't like being insulted.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    quote of all time
    Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    I am sorry I was wrong.

Youtube
    Justin Bieber: God sent me to make music
    Disturbed: No we didn't

Quote Originally Posted by Avion365 View Post
    i don't have any prejudice ageist Muslims, Saladin was a honorable man but not what i consider a good general, YOU do not know what you are talking about if you say that anyone who disagrees with you doesn't like Muslims. the only reason Saladin is in the history books was because he was the person to become the first sultan of Egypt and Syria and happened to be the person who got his army there fist to Jerusalem and was there during the third crusade. Good achievement but not what i consider the best due to the fact that he beat a all ready weakened and declining nation. and next time, don't call me a name or I WILL report you to the mods, i don't like being insulted.
    one nation? he fought off all of europe and turkey all by himself and a handful of egyptians

over the top

Von Moltke the Elder.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

Quote Originally Posted by Visiar View Post

Alexander the Great
    Hannibal
    Napoleon
    Caesar
    Cyrus the Great
    Robert E. Lee
    Can't believe your list does not include great general Suvorov who is truly one of the greatest military commanders of all time!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar

avion365's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ojf View Post
    one nation? he fought off all of europe and turkey all by himself and a handful of egyptians
    Jerusalem was the nation, more accurately the Kingdom of Jerusalem, i made that clear. He used a lot more than a handful of Egyptians, and during that time the turk didn't really attack him due to the fact that they where preoccupied with the crusaders. he fought the armies of France and England, thats hardly all of Europe, the third crusade was also sabotaged by the Byzantine empire, in return for safety, the kingdom of Sicily and Crete gave some support. Saladin didn't have such a hard time as Alexander, or Hannibal, or even Patton.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    quote of all time
    Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    I am sorry I was wrong.

Youtube
    Justin Bieber: God sent me to make music
    Disturbed: No we didn't

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Muhammed
    Come on he spread Islam from Spain to the Middle East...surely he used swords and soldiers...
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

The man doing the dirty work for him was Khalid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    May I suggest ya'll get back on topic. Talk about Napoleon's ethnicity in another thread, this thread is about a leashed penis...
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    Life is routine, punctuated by excitement.