Thread: Greatest General Ever?

Carl von Döbeln's Avatar Crossing the Rubicon

Default Re: Greatest General Ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Darsh View Post
    You forget Napoleon at Austerlitz.
    YEs indeed i did sry

Quote Originally Posted by Ojf View Post
    So you are saying 1v1 that a Gallic warrior would beat a Roman Legionary?
    No, you misunderstood it, I said that without any equipment, both of them barehanded the Gaul would have chance to win...but it is not the case, in 1vs1 of the average Gaul against the average legionary with equipment, swords and everything else the legionary would obviously kick the Gaul's ass...

Training of the legions were so advanced that the legionaries were teached how to use the gladius in the most letal parts of the enemy body taking in cosideration the size of the enemy shield, sword of the enemy and many other variables...against very tall guys for example the average technic would be the legionary defend against the gaul sword with the massive legionary shield and then bend a little and pierce the enemy's Great saphenous vein that runs near the genitalia...with the great saphenous vein cutted the enemy died in a few seconds...this is just one of the many technics that garanteed to the legionaries the title of the toughest guys of their time...
    Last edited by CaesarBR; June 21, 2008 at 05:27 PM.

jackwei's Avatar Primicerius

It is hard to say who is the greatest general since they all achieved great feats in their days and have influenced history for many centuries, which makes them remembered.

I realize for every civilization there will always be one great general who stands out as the greatest for an example:-
    Romans:- Caesar
    Greece:- Alexander
    Carthage:- Hannibal
    Mongols:- Genghis Khan
    France:-Napoleon
    Prussia:- Frederick the great
    Great Britain:- Duke of Wellington/Malborough

And so many more great generals etc

I still i cannot see why a general who achieved the impossible and is remembered as one of the most glorious cannot be first if he ended his life in total and complete defeat.

For an example despite Hannibal's magnificent feats at the end of the day Carthage lost the war and nearly sixty years later it was burnt to the ground, which led to complete destruction of Carthage.

Oh the other hand Caesar and Alexander died with no rivals as victorious generals worshiped as invincble gods who won all their wars and defeated all their great rivals who extended their empires and indeed made sure it lasted, although Alexander's seperated into the successor states.

?????????? Khalid was still outnumbered 10 to 1 in almost everybattle
    10000 vs 100000

Quote Originally Posted by GH@Z! View Post
    ?????????? Khalid was still outnumbered 10 to 1 in almost everybattle
    10000 vs 100000
    Well...the numbers may be exaggerated, but still...Khalid is indeed amazing what he did in Walaja, Yarmouk and Firaz was perfect...after studying he a little more I'd say he is the third better in history only behind Alexander and Hannibal...

Quote Originally Posted by jackwei View Post
    come on, Wellesley was not that great, he can't be compared to any other great general, actually Wellesley was reverenced by the British so they could claim to have some general comparable to Napoleon...my opinion about him is that he is nothing more then a very good general, rather common type throughout history...

Faramir D'Andunie's Avatar Domesticus

Yarmouk doesn't seem that impressive in my eyes(unlike the rest of the battles).

Wasn't there a myth that the Arab retreat was halted by the soldier's women who yelled at them or something similar?

Still Khalid is a great general who is not as known as he should be in my opinion.
    Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they are in good company.

Quote Originally Posted by Belisarius85 View Post
    Yarmouk doesn't seem that impressive in my eyes(unlike the rest of the battles).

Wasn't there a myth that the Arab retreat was halted by the soldier's women who yelled at them or something similar?

Still Khalid is a great general who is not as known as he should be in my opinion.
    Well...in my opinion Yarmouk is really impressive taking into account that this history of women yelling is most probably a myth...

Indeed, Khalid is great and should be more recognized...in my opinion he is far greater then Napoleon...

Erebus Pasha's Avatar vezir-i âzam

The after effects of Khalid's victories still last to this day.

www.ottomanhistorypodcast.com/
    Under the patronage of the Noble Savage.

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus26 View Post
    The after effects of Khalid's victories still last to this day.
    Indeed...I dare to say that without Khalid's militar talent the Caliphate wouldn't have conquered Persia and the Levant and would be restrained to Arabia only turning the mddle east in the border between three major states, the Roman Empire, the Sassanid and the Caliphate...Islam in the oher hand I can't say, 'cause other states could convert to Islam...

Faramir D'Andunie's Avatar Domesticus

He must be commended on his timing. What better time to launch such a campaign than when both Eastern Romans and Persians are exhausted from an all out war.
    Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they are in good company.

Quote Originally Posted by Belisarius85 View Post
    He must be commended on his timing. What better time to launch such a campaign than when both Eastern Romans and Persians are exhausted from an all out war.
    No...that is not why he defeated both empires, study the battles and you'll see that the "exhausted" empires outnumbered him considerably in almost all battles and that in most of the battles it was his tactics that made him win...

It is hard to say who is the greatest general since they all achieved great feats in their days and have influenced history for many centuries, which makes them remembered.

I realize for every civilization there will always be one great general who stands out as the greatest for an example:-
    Romans:- Caesar
    Greece:- Alexander
    Carthage:- Hannibal
    Mongols:- Genghis Khan
    France:-Napoleon
    Prussia:- Frederick the great

And so many more great generals etc

I still i cannot see why a general who achieved the impossible and is remembered as one of the most glorious cannot be first if he ended his life in total and complete defeat.

For an example despite Hannibal's magnificent feats at the end of the day Carthage lost the war and nearly sixty years later it was burnt to the ground, which led to complete destruction of Carthage.

Oh the other hand Caesar and Alexander died with no rivals as victorious generals worshiped as invincble gods who won all their wars and defeated all their great rivals who extended their empires and indeed made sure it lasted, although Alexander's seperated into the successor states.

You forgot swedens greatest general,and the protestants greatest general
    Gustavus II Adolphus The Great Of Sweden"The Father Of Modern warfare"

Quote Originally Posted by Carl von döbeln View Post
    You forgot swedens greatest general,and the protestants greatest general
    Gustavus II Adolphus The Great Of Sweden"The Father Of Modern warfare"
    oops i knew i forgot someone cheers indeed Gustavus Adolphus who has all my respect for his achievements indeed who probably is one the greatest generals in history too.

oops i knew i forgot someone cheers indeed Gustavus Adolphus who has all my respect for his achievements indeed who probably is one the greatest generals in history too.
    Thank you ,sweden cheers you !
    + rep

Everything was going well until Charles XII's decisive defeat at Poltava in the Great Northern War and i am sure Gustavus Adolphus was turing in his grave.

Anyway i guess you can give Wellington the created for beating other French Field Marshalls and managed to hold Napoleon as long as he can until Blucher arrived with Prussian reinforcements at Waterloo.

Wellington remained undefeated too and may not be as Great as Bonaparte, but deserves to be looked upon as a great general. Although i do prefer the Duke of Marlborough (John Churchill) over Wellington who's command and leadership put the British army on the map and made Europe recognize that Britain was a power to be reckoned with and taken more seriously on land.
    Last edited by jackwei; June 22, 2008 at 04:16 AM.

Everything was going well until Charles XII's decisive defeat at Poltava in the Great Northern War and i am sure Gustavus Adolphus was turing in his grave.

Anyway i guess you can give Wellington the created for beating other French Field Marshalls and managed to hold Napoleon as long as he can until Blucher arrived with Prussian reinforcements at Waterloo.

Wellington remained undefeated too and may not be as Great as Bonaparte, but deserves to be looked upon as a great general.
    Yes indeed,but we had everything against us at Poltava

Not sure if anyone said it before but I'm gonna say Atatürk.
    The Armenian Issue

Belisaire_'s Avatar Semisalis

The problem with ancient generals such Caesar or Alexander the great is the lack of source or their exageration.

several exemples
    the only source about Gaul's conquest was wrote by Caesar himself...it's hardly an unbiased source.
    For the battle of Granicus the first Alexander's victory there are very differents accounts, who is right ?
    Last edited by Belisaire_; June 22, 2008 at 11:03 AM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Martel

jeeeez, i cant believe he has not been mentioned once yet, with many lesser names being discussed quite heavily.
    Last edited by piranha45; June 22, 2008 at 10:51 AM.