Thread: Carthage.. An aim to rule the mediterranean

Default Carthage.. An aim to rule the mediterranean

Intro
    After reading some of the other AAR’s i decided to create my own.
    Choosing which faction was difficult on vanilla i would get 50-60 years into each roman faction and get bored of the boring roman units. But the host of new units for the factions in XGM is brilliant. I played a campaign as the Greeks but never got to finishing it and also have played a short campaign as the Spanish who i really enjoyed playing as. Carthage was a good option for me the fantastic AOR recruitment system meant that right from the start Carthage has a large roster of units.
    Unfortunately I only decided to do this AAR in the year 263 BC so a quick whats happened so far:

The majority of my time and attention has been focused on silkily, i had many a good battle on this island with the roman rebels and indie Greeks, Messana changed hands about 6 times, including once when Epiros brought his whole army down and took it in an epic battle in which 5 of my generals died, just after I thought I had cleared the island. The roman rebels are wiped off the map and i now control Croton and all of Sicily with a small garrison of indie Greeks in Tarentum and Rome controlling the Italic
    peninsula.

I conqurered the small rebel town in Cydaus in north Africa, and decided that desite being allies with the eastern kingdoms i should relieve them of the territory and unite north Africa under one banner so currently Cirta which has a large garrison and Siga which has a skeletal garrison are under siege and close to falling. Building wise all towns have been heading for economic and trading with the exception of Carthage which has been
    pushing up military tree.

Not much in spain I took the rebel town of Arsa but due to pouring all my money in to the Sicilian campaign have not been able to build up a large army to fight the Iberians.

Game settings:
    Difficulty : Hard/Hard
    Fatigue, loyalty and AI bonuses all turned off.
    Forced diplomacy only when it seems reasonable.

A note about images, been playing round with the colours for the factions out of boredom, sorry if the colours are a bit to bright XD helps me see the map easier.

As it stands in summer 263bc

Chapter 1 – Beginnings of an empire

Summer 263 BC

The Garrison of Certa sallies forth to attack my besieging army.

As can be seen the two armies are equal in number, the garrison fields a lot more skirmishers and has no heavy infantry in comparison to my more conventional army.

Rough plan of action is to engage the Numidian skirmishers in hand to hand and use my Bedouin warriors and archers to chase of Numidia cavalry.

Having fired many arrows in the army stays in the castle so i decide as the gate is open to rush with my spearmen, I expect heavy casualties as the skirmishers will all be throwing there javelins even when their comrades are in melee with the spearmen.

The casualties start mounting and I retreat out of the towns walls deciding that if I can wait them out it is only another turn until the enemy surrender the city.

The time is waited out so a draw is the result although i somehow capture the city. I show them respect in just occupying the settlement as i want to integrate the citizens in to the Carthaginian way of life.

Winter 263 BC

One of my smaller fleets is destroyed after repeated attacks by roman fleets.

Siga Falls without a fight the same mercy as the People of Certa is bestowed on them. The Carthaginians wish to rule the mediterranean but not by an iron fist mearly for profit and expanision of eastern civilization.
    Last edited by simonsnizle; June 02, 2008 at 04:39 AM.

Primicerius

Default Re: Carthage.. An aim to rule the mediterranean

Good start to your AAR. Interesting factions colours too. Looking forward to more of this.

Thanks, yeah i just went messed around a bit was bored of the dull tones.

Just a quick question how do i display the images as full size images?

Sorry for the lack of images i took screenshots usign xfire and they all came out with no units just deserts and the world map had sand instead of sea :S
    Apart from printscreen and Fraps is there anyway other people use to take screenies?

Summer 262 BC
    A new military building policy in southern Iberia all of the goveners begin work on various barracks.

Winter 262 BC
    Spies and Assassins are trained in southern Iberia to cause chaos before the armies of North Africa and shipped to the peninsula.

A roman army moves into besiege Croton, it is smaller in size than the garrison so I will sally forth and attack them.

They have a slow infantry army which I will pick apart with my Balearic Slingers and Numidian Cavalry.

The cowards begin to retreat and so the slingers pursue hoping to kill as many as possible.

They turn and face the slingers while the rest of my army is coming out.

Numidian cavalry are sent to harass the flanks.

The Romans now feel foolish for leaving their own skirmishers and cavalry as the combined onslaught of lead shot and javelin cause casualties and panic.

The Romans will think twice about sending such a small invasion force. What worries me is if they did have more infantry my small force of Hoplites would not hold them in combat so will be recruiting more of them.

All of their units take heavy casualties and the 2 units of Triarii are wiped out.

So with the exception of a few friendly fire incidents a good victory with 702 kills.

The slingers really are essential in this war with Rome.

I surround the small garrison in Tarentum with the second in command in Italy; Zimrida Rusikade while the leader Bodeshmun Mexinx waits for reinforcements before invading Roman territory.

I have decided the war in Iberia must wait for now and will take the romans while they are still a small state. The majority of their military is in the north fighting Gauls so now is the time to strike.

End
    Last edited by simonsnizle; June 02, 2008 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsnizle View Post
    Thanks, yeah i just went messed around a bit was bored of the dull tones.

Just a quick question how do i display the images as full size images?
    You probably copied the link for Thumbnail Size.

In imageshack: left click on image, then right click, choose Share It, copy the link for Full size, paste it in your post. Essentially, you need just the line between two [IMG] codes. What comes after 'By' can be deleted. Use 'preview post' button for checking the result.

Good luck with your compaign. Will be watching. ME

Edited 1: No worry, just edit it when you have time.
    Edited 2: I use fraps (free version). Take bmp screens (2 Mb per screen). Compress them to jpeg (to ca. 200 kb) in MO Picture Manager (two clicks and ready), crop if necessary. Works fine so far.
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; June 02, 2008 at 04:15 AM.

Primicerius

You could try Howie's if all else fails. Does GIMP take photos or just edit them?

Anyway, good update, although a little lacking without the pictures to explain more. Good luck with your campaign.

Yeah I'm Really sorry about lack of pictures. Got fraps downloaded and installed so it is all good, didn't realize you could take un-watermarked photos with it.

Update tomorrow after my last exam finishes..

Quote Originally Posted by simonsnizle View Post
    Yeah I'm Really sorry about lack of pictures. Got fraps downloaded and installed so it is all good, didn't realize you could take un-watermarked photos with it.

Update tomorrow after my last exam finishes..
    good luck with the exam !