Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Crusade?

Senator

Default 1st Crusade?

Is there a way to script the game so that the First Crusade happened as it did in reality? Also - I have just had a thought - will it be possible for the KoJ to be able to be able to accept Byzantium's sovereignty when it emerges? In other words, they could maybe provide Byzantium with unlimited tribute and military access in exchange for military support?

I was just wondering if this would be possible, as this would be both historically accurate, and would add depth to the campaign's politics.

Default Re: 1st Crusade?

I also wonder if it would be possible to stop deserting after a very short period of not moving towards target. Sometimes I think its stupid that in a crusade you can only capture one city/castle because of the deserting . In reality the crusades captured more places than just Jerusalem. So I hope it would be possible to extend time time before soldiers desert but to maintain ballance the time between crusades being called should be increased.(ofcourse this is just a sugestion )

agree. but might have something to do with hard-coding.
    DKnIgHT, ODiN_X
    Like my comments, like me, like what I do?! If so, rep me and leave your name so I can rep you back!
    -Dominion of the Sword: Promotional, Traits, Admin Assistant, and Coder

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Brammius View Post
    I also wonder if it would be possible to stop deserting after a very short period of not moving towards target. Sometimes I think its stupid that in a crusade you can only capture one city/castle because of the deserting . In reality the crusades captured more places than just Jerusalem. So I hope it would be possible to extend time time before soldiers desert but to maintain ballance the time between crusades being called should be increased.(ofcourse this is just a sugestion )
    This would be pretty good also... :hmmm:

I usually capture cities along the way, just move with siege equipment and some spies
    This isn't right, this isn't even wrong. This isn't anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Basil 11 View Post
    Is there a way to script the game so that the First Crusade happened as it did in reality?
    What exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Basil 11 View Post
    Also - I have just had a thought - will it be possible for the KoJ to be able to be able to accept Byzantium's sovereignty when it emerges? In other words, they could maybe provide Byzantium with unlimited tribute and military access in exchange for military support?
    That's an interesting idea. We're considering similar connections between other factions. I'll run this past the researchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brammius View Post
    I also wonder if it would be possible to stop deserting after a very short period of not moving towards target.
    I'm pretty sure that's hard coded, but I'll double check.
    Last edited by Azim; August 27, 2008 at 04:30 PM.

Dominion of the Sword, a Medieval II: Total War Supermod
    Under the patronage of Archaon. Proud member of the House of Siblesz
    My friend died from chain letters. If you don't post this again 100 times, he will come and kill you in your sleep!

Senator

I mean, will it be joined by the factions that it did in real history, and start at the date it did etc...

With historical events, we are using conditions rather than dates. We haven't added the first crusade yet, but if we do, it will probably fire when a muslim faction takes Jerusalem, or when the Byzantines loose a town to the Turks rather than triggering at a specific date.

My friend died from chain letters. If you don't post this again 100 times, he will come and kill you in your sleep!

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Azim View Post
    With historical events, we are using conditions rather than dates. We haven't added the first crusade yet, but if we do, it will probably fire when a muslim faction takes Jerusalem, or when the Byzantines loose a town to the Turks rather than triggering at a specific date.
    This is a good idea.
    But, I have just had a thought - how about enabling the Byzantine player to ask for the crusade?? :hmmm:

That's a good idea. I'll add that in if/when we make a crusade script.

Senator

That's a good idea. I'll add that in if/when we make a crusade script.
    yay! I hope it is implemented - I would be proud to have contributed to this brilliant mod (even if only a tiny bit )

I'm pretty sure that's hard coded, but I'll double check.
    Have you figured out if the time for deserting is hard coded?
    DKnIgHT, ODiN_X
    Like my comments, like me, like what I do?! If so, rep me and leave your name so I can rep you back!

I'm sorry for forgetting to answer your question. Thank you for reminding me. Now I have a nagging feeling that I told someone else that I would answer a question for them too...

Anyway I looked for some disband modifiers, and I found them in descr_campaign_db.xml

<crusades>
    <required_jihad_piety int="4" />
    <max_disband_progress float="20.0" />
    <near_target_no_disband_distance float="4.0" />
    <disband_progress_window float="3" />
    <crusade_called_start_turn float="20" />
    <jihad_called_start_turn float="20" />
    <movement_points_modifier float="2.0" />
    </crusades>
    That give's us crusade.max_disband_progress, crusade.disband_progress_window, and crusade.near_target_no_disband_distance to work with. I'll have to mess around with these for a bit to see exactly what they do, but they look pretty promising.
    Last edited by Azim; September 20, 2008 at 10:18 AM.

thanks for replying, and no problems.
    DKnIgHT, ODiN_X

aduellist's Avatar Push the button Max!

I'm sorry for forgetting to answer your question. Thank you for reminding me. Now I have a nagging feeling that I told someone else that I would answer a question for them too...

Anyway i looked for some disband modifiers, and I found them in descr_campaign_db.xml

That give's us crusade.max_disband_progress, crusade.disband_progress_window, and crusade.near_target_no_disband_distance to work with. I'll have to mess around with these for a bit to see exactly what they do, but they look pretty promising.
    Most are pretty self-explanatory, a few are not.

<required_jihad_piety int="4" /> = minimum piety to join a Jihad
    <max_disband_progress float="20.0" /> = ? not sure, but I think lower means less desertion
    <near_target_no_disband_distance float="4.0" /> = distance in tiles from target at which desertion stops
    <disband_progress_window float="3" /> = ? not sure of exact meaning, but IIRC setting to 0 stops desertion
    <crusade_called_start_turn float="20" /> = number of turns after one crusade before another can be called
    <jihad_called_start_turn float="20" /> = same as above for jihads
    <movement_points_modifier float="2.0" /> = movement modifier for crusades, in this case a crusade army gets twice its normal movement points

Setting <near_target_no_disband_distance float="400.0" />, for example, means that once your 400 tiles from target (a looong ways away), desertion stops. Playing with that value can give the ability to essentially say "Once my Crusading army reaches the Holy Land it can pretty much do whatever it wants".

Edit: According to several threads in the Mod Workshop, setting <max_disband_progress float="0" /> also disables desertion.
    Last edited by aduellist; September 19, 2008 at 11:25 PM.
    Under the patronage of TheFirstONeill
    Proud team member of
    THERA, A New Beginning

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken

"Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they first of all strike down." Frederick Douglass

I think that all 8 crusades should be as events, no more asking the pope for a crusade. it would be very sweet
    Reap the promised end to the struggle. Reap every point on our linear path.
    Reap the smiles in time we borrow, every harvest relies on the last.
    Reap the promising song of the sparrow, that they learned from the birth of sea.
    Silenced by the threnody of the crows. Reap the fallen fruit of the dogwood tree.
    But I witnessed in all this silence one soul's definition of beauty. and a backlit smile so temporary.
    A facade so rich with evil history. Cast in direct opposition set to overwhelm this moment to shine and sleep.
    came out on top of what was borrowed, and found all that beauty to be still...

Walkman810i's Avatar Biarchus

I have to agree with Mr. thecobra007 aka T3h Pirate. That would be indeed pretty aswell as historically accurate.

Arrr.
    Reap the promised end to the struggle. Reap every point on our linear path.
    Reap the smiles in time we borrow, every harvest relies on the last.
    Reap the promising song of the sparrow, that they learned from the birth of sea.
    Silenced by the threnody of the crows. Reap the fallen fruit of the dogwood tree.
    But I witnessed in all this silence one soul's definition of beauty. and a backlit smile so temporary.
    A facade so rich with evil history. Cast in direct opposition set to overwhelm this moment to shine and sleep.
    came out on top of what was borrowed, and found all that beauty to be still...

Thanks for the info aduellist.

Walkman: we haven't yet started work on crusade mechanics, but replacing the built in crusades is an option.

Walkman810i's Avatar Biarchus

Ok, at least you guys can think about it. It would be much more interesting.

Although I'm not rly sure if it would work well even with your 2 turns per year system since the Crusades took place "quite often" and lasted 1-4 years max and some were complete failtures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast