Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Westeros: TW - General discussion

Default Re: Westeros: TW - General discussion

Joff's faction should already have a ton of generals if you think about it. Particularly if they are keying this mod off the start of the war!

I do like the idea that whoever holds the title of Iron Throne or whatever should get an uber strong general's bodyguard unit clad all in white. Something not unlike the William Wallace fighting force in Kingdoms.

Joff's faction so far has
    -King Joffery
    -Tyrion Lannister
    -Janos Slynt

So they definitely need some Kingsguard

"Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne."

Gampie's Avatar Tiro

Sandor Clegane is now in the latest build (he's no longer an ancillary). And they have Tommen as well.

Sandors a general, thats cool, i will enjoy that...although there have been several referances to members of the kings guard leading a host but never Sandor. IMO it would be more true to the books to keep Sandor as an Ancillary for Joff and make 3 or 4 of the kings Guard Generals, but than also create a Kings Guard Ancillary as some of the Kings Guard would stay with Joff as well as the Hound.......or as grneyedvl said you could create a kings guard unit, that would be cool too
    The Hound

Well he did lead sorties while Kingslanding was under siege, at least until the fires begin... other Kingsguards didn't seem to have much experience with huge hosts either, besides special ones like Jaime. IMO a compromise would be making these Kingsguard start out with no command ability(stars) to reflect this fact. There are plenty of less-than-competent generals that made it into the mod, so I guess it's not that bad. Or we could simply make them an ordinary unit with a skinned captain, but then we can only get "Captain Clegane" instead of his full name. That's a privilege of generals

Another argument against making Kingsguard an ancillary would be that Faction leaders and heirs(especially ones sitting in Kingslanding) would be filled with a load of retinues already. With only eight ancillary per man, if we could make Kingsguard a unit, it'll help free up these slots.

How about Kevan and if you're talking the START of the war of the 5 kings you could include Stafford, and perhaps even Bronn if you wanted to stretch it a bit...

If you wanted to include their bannermen you could have Illyn Payne.

That should give you another 3 I guess.

TheKingSlayer's Avatar Tiro

Stafford and Kevan are both Generals in the Lannister starting army.

If another General for Joff's faction is needed, I think Jocelyn Bywater would be perfect.
    Proud Team member of Westeros: Total War
    Visit us at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=721
    We..Are...PENN STATE!!!
    Semper Fi. Smashing Islamic Extremism in all forms.

"You know nothing, Jon Snow."

Yeah Bywater is a good selection.

Moved here
    + I've moved the pictures to Photobucket, as my Xfire screenie limit is looming closer...

It's been updated with parts 2 and 3 as well
    Last edited by stormbringer951; July 22, 2008 at 01:43 PM.

"Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne."

Dude...

You're sooooo cruel! Posting these tasty screenshots with a scenario I think everyone who read the books would love to try out!

(Keep em coming & +rep!)

Awesome.........Man I cant wait to play this mod!!!!!

Looks really great and i also cant wait to sack Lannisport. Watching the screenies i noticed that alot of cities were really close to each other. Are you going to reduce army movement to compensate so this wont be like Medieval 2 where you go from city to city in one turn?

I think we're increasing it slightly, otherwise Robb'll be an old greybeard before he reaches the Twins (joke). We're going to have toned down recruitment, so a bloody siege is not what you want (as troop resources - especially elite and knightly troops are rare and so are siege weapons like trebs and catapults).

Gampie needs to update his mod progress: we've made a lot of progress since his last report
    Last edited by stormbringer951; August 09, 2008 at 03:51 PM.

Gampie's Avatar Tiro

Mod progress report updated.
    Regarding the scale of the map, with hindsight I would have made it +25% larger. When I created the first map files I did a very rough estimate at how big the map should be. I was a one-man team and new to modding so I wanted it rather small and humble. It's true that in the southern continent a lot of settlements are fairly close to each other, just like Italy or Germany in vanilla M2TW. In the North however there are considerable gaps between the castles and an increase in distance would remind the Stark player of controlling Russia... which might not be good?
    That's something I learned while playing the mod: the North is really far away from the places with all the action (Riverlands, Crownlands).

Well that's sort of how it was in the books. The North always struck me as a huge place, and the Riverlands and the immediate areas surrounding it much more congested.

For instance... in the books, the map of the North takes a whole page, whereas one page is enough to show all the remaining factions in the south (save the Greyjoys, obviously).
    Last edited by Deathshroud; August 10, 2008 at 03:55 PM.

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Deathshroud View Post
    Well that's sort of how it was in the books. The North always struck me as a huge place, and the Riverlands and the immediate areas surrounding it much more congested.

For instance... in the books, the map of the North takes a whole page, whereas one page is enough to show all the remaining factions in the south (save the Greyjoys, obviously).
    Yea, King Robert says to Ned Stark in AGoT that his territory was as large as all the other realms combined.
    Dont remember the exact quote:hmmm:.

Wich faction will be based on the backstabbing milan?
    So I know which faction i should first destroy

The House templates are as follows. Mostly these were chosen for the colour schemes used by the factions which were most similar to the Houses.

Joffrey - Venice
    Stannis - Denmark
    Renly - Spain
    Arryn - Portugal
    Tully - France
    Lannister - England
    Tyrell - Milan
    Martell - Moors
    Stark - Scotland

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringer951 View Post
    The House templates are as follows. Mostly these were chosen for the colour schemes used by the factions which were most similar to the Houses.

Joffrey - Venice
    Stannis - Denmark
    Renly - Spain
    Arryn - Portugal
    Tully - France
    Lannister - England
    Tyrell - Milan
    Martell - Moors
    Stark - Scotland
    Thanks.

What about greyjoy?

Oops, missed tha tone out

Greyjoy - HRE

I may have missed it somewhere, but how many provinces are planned? Rather hoping for quite a few to keep it going long.