Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Westeros: TW - General discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gampie's Avatar Tiro

Default Westeros: TW - General discussion

Let's continue the discussion in a fresh topic and get rid of the "Lite" epithet of the previous one.

So we got ourselves a nice little sub-forum. I'll start working on a FAQ as soon as possible. The Stark preview won't be far off as well.

As to the last topic; the Martells start with Yronwood but Hellholt is rebels. I chose Yronwood over Hellholt because it borders Renly's realm and thus might cause more hostility issues. I guess I'll make Yronwood a fortress then since he's reputedly the most powerful bannerman of Doran.

Default Re: Westeros: TW - General discussion

Let me be the first to congratulate you on sub-forum status.

The hardest part of the Stark skins should be well and truly behind me now, I can't wait to see the preview.

Congratulations on sub-forum status, looking forward to the preview. Winter is coming.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

Gampie's Avatar Tiro

Thanks. I'll try to type up the preview tomorrow. I'm also looking forward to your latest skins, LordSnow. I love to play with them.

@ Antagonist: Nice to see you around. I almost thought you had forsaken the ASOIAF franchise.

TheKingSlayer's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Gampie View Post
    Let's continue the discussion in a fresh topic and get rid of the "Lite" epithet of the previous one.

So we got ourselves a nice little sub-forum. I'll start working on a FAQ as soon as possible. The Stark preview won't be far off as well.

As to the last topic; the Martells start with Yronwood but Hellholt is rebels. I chose Yronwood over Hellholt because it borders Renly's realm and thus might cause more hostility issues. I guess I'll make Yronwood a fortress then since he's reputedly the most powerful bannerman of Doran.

I think Yronwood is the best choice, considering their fostering of Quentyn.

I'm glad you got the sub-forum! Awesomeness and well deserved.
    Proud Team member of Westeros: Total War
    Visit us at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=721
    We..Are...PENN STATE!!!
    Semper Fi. Smashing Islamic Extremism in all forms.

"You know nothing, Jon Snow."

Wow just found this. This is something ive been thinking about for some time now. Hope it goes well.
    "O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that, with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits in Thy mercy."
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Monty, welcome to the party man. Are you a modder or just an interested ASOIAF fan?

Either way....the more the merrier! Be sure to check the other threads. Gamepie has done amazing work and it's been a fun time engaging these guys in conversation.
    We..Are...PENN STATE!!!

I'm a big fan of ASOIAF and can't wait till you guys release this mod. And got a little question will Jon going to be in the mod? And have seen some screens of your and mod and have to say it looks really great.

Gampie's Avatar Tiro

Jon will not be in the mod because he is a member of the Night's Watch. However due to popular demand I'll make a 'Jon patch' for the players who want to play with him. It'll place him near Last Hearth. For roleplaying purposes you could imagine that he broke his vows and returned to Winterfell.

Hello, everyone. I've been following along with this mod on the Westeros forums, but It's time for me to join the discussion over here as well. Gampie has asked me to work on unit descriptions, general bios and all the other grunt work that is well beneath people with real modding skill beyond messing around with INIs and the like, so I'll be around quite a bit. I'll say, it's quite an honor to be chosen to work on this mod, especially in such a way that most interested players will get to see at least some of my work. I'm greatly looming forward to getting started.
    Your newest and least valuable member of the mod team,
    Daedalus.

Welcome aboard Daedalus. Every little bit of help is appreciated and no less significant than anyone else's contribution.

Gampie's Avatar Tiro

Ah yes, I asked Daedalus if he wanted to join the team as an advisor and flavour text writer. There's tons of work to do. Welcome!

Very nice. The party grows even larger. Welcome to the family, D.
    We..Are...PENN STATE!!!

As a general lurker and a fan of A Song of Ice and Fire, I'd like to offer congratulations on your achievements thus far, including gaining your own sub-forum! I have a few questions to ask, though:

1. How will bannermen work, seeing as Alliances in most MTW2 games aren't very...helpful (Other than securing a flank from attack). I.e. With the Tyrells as a separate faction, won't Renly's military power be greatly reduced? I mean, my understanding was that at least a significant portion of his army was supported by the Tyrells (if not the majority), rather than merely his on Baratheon troops.

2. Would you be interested in porting to Kingdoms? Though, after having written that question out I can see why you probably aren't interested - only boiling oil and perhaps improved AI would be of interest to this mod. Given the time frame, I'd guess that the production of permanent forts would be unrealistic at best.

3. Since the timeframe is limited (from what I remember reading, you said something like 4 turns per year? I could be wrong...my memory is foggy...), you are aware that character aging will be out of whack, right? My understanding is that character aging is hardcoded at 2 turns per year.

In any case, cheers! I eagerly await the release of this mod!

1. How will bannermen work, seeing as Alliances in most MTW2 games aren't very...helpful (Other than securing a flank from attack). I.e. With the Tyrells as a separate faction, won't Renly's military power be greatly reduced? I mean, my understanding was that at least a significant portion of his army was supported by the Tyrells (if not the majority), rather than merely his on Baratheon troops.
    I wondered about this too. I guess M2TW allows more complex control over faction relations (permanent alliances and so on) than RTW, and M2TW's faction system is not ideal for representing political relationships of the complexity of the books, but still. In the case of Joffrey, for example, I would argue that for all he sits the throne and hold's KL, it's really the wealth and power of House Lannister which support him, and I can't really see a "faction" (in terms of characters and armies) working for him without Lannister support. Even the characters in the books use "Joffrey" (in the sense of his administration) and "the Lannisters" pretty much interchangeably.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

Numenor's Avatar Campidoctor

A fan of the series!

Has Antagonist said.... The winter is coming.... MHUHAUHAUHA
    [IMG]

WOW!! i have not had a chance to check in for a while (super crazy at work!) Its great that the mod now has gain sub-forum status!

The work is "lookin good" the faction preview of the starks is nothing short of spectacular! the skins are great! the ancillaries are awesome. man i cant wait to play this puppy!

Hey Gampie after my last post you asked about Highgarden, a good question, I think we'll be getting alot more info in the up coming book but so far there isnt a whole lot of info or much of a description. I asked a few friends who also have read the books and looked through the books at what has been said and I get the impression that Highgarden is alot like the Eryie (built into a mountain, sort of) but with the lack of info and history I would say Fortress not citadel. (although i just realized its been so long your probably well past this decision)

I saw the expect release is for winter of 2008, thats GREAT. I know doing skins takes forever. The next book is due out in September so hopefully that will give a lot more info to be able to tweek some of the grey areas.

cant wait to see the next faction profile!
    The Hound

...oh something i just thought about. I have Stainless Steel installed now, which of course uses Kingdoms, since this mod uses regular M2TW will the fact that I have SS installed cause issues (if it will i'll just reinstal but if I dont have to i'd rather not)
    The Hound

I thought this might be helpful in case you guys didn't know about it.

Westeros.org runs a sort of ASOIAF wiki where you can look up most anything (complete with book/chapter references)

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/Concordance/

The site's not complete yet, but there's enough already there, especially about the various regions, that would be useful for this mod.

On a separate note, will there be any kind of modded campaign AI? Lusted's AI from LTC is particularly good at producing meaningful alliances...

I have had some thoughts recently about faction names. I think it is going to be a strange situation to have factions named King Joffrey, Stannis and Renly long after these characters have passed on. I am not sure what you could call Joffrey's faction, but how about naming Stannis as House Baratheon of Dragonstone and Renly as House Baratheon of Storms End or of the Stormlands?

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast