Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Westeros: TW - General discussion

Default Re: Westeros: TW - General discussion

Cool. I can't wait. What faction is next in line with Tully being re-skinned?

No worries. Real life is a bit more important.

Damn shoul have just edited this into my last post.....long day at work has fried my brain.

Tully is in the final stages of skinning. A faction preview for them should be rolling around pretty soon. Tyrell is also in the process of being skinned, but I have no word of progress on them. Other facets of the mod are progressing nicely, though perhaps a little more slowly than before. You'd be amazed at how much is actually in the mod so far.

I've been playing an Arryn Campaign recently. It's pretty cool: little Robert adopdet two people named Elys and Alys Arryn, who are exactly the same age before meeting an... Accident on the battlefield. I've taken most of the eastern area around the mountains, as far south as Saltpans, before announcing an alliance with House Lannister. Both myself and my Lannister allies are now grinding away at the Tully territories from both sides, myself having taken Harrenhal while House Lannister is fighting a bunch of field battles near Riverrun. Lyn Corbray is quite the beast on the battlefield; his unit, down to 8 men, managed to crush a half-strength unit of dismounted knights (40 men), with Corbray himself accounting for 14 of those. The more renowned fighters of Westeros as a whole are pretty deadly, seeing as how in my Stark campaign Victaerion Greyjoy managed, all on his own, to survive a full minute against 4 full units of knights, killing almost 30 of them before going down. That's what I call badass (perhaps a bit too much, but still cool).

Gampie's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKiller2000 View Post
    Cool. I can't wait. What faction is next in line with Tully being re-skinned?
    As Daedalus says, the Tully dudes are more or less done. The next faction that is being taken care of is Joffrey.
    @ Daedalus: Cool. Your alliance will the Lannister will spell doom over the Stark-Tully alliance.

Awww, all the Stark hate makes me sad.

@ Shadowkiller. In my campaign they're not being crushed. They haven't even advanced yet...

"Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne."

Yea was just kidding. All those screen shots are making me drool.

This Looks awesome, I've always wanted to play a Westeros game.

My one question is how is the aging and timing going to work? will time still advance and people die, and will the family families have children just like the normal game?

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Gampie's Avatar Tiro

Yes, time will advance and families will have children like in the normal game.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Have you all considered doing a release featuring the entire world sometime after you get this one done?

There are no official world maps of course, but a forum poster named Other-in-Law made a couple of beautiful and plausible maps that could work as the world,

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Possible factions:

Free Cities: 3 would be playable, each having it's main city and 2-3 other provinces. The other Free Cities would be large and well guarded rebel cities.
    • Braavos - one of three "free cities" factions. Possibly Russian inspired?
    • Pentos - Another free city, perhaps with an Italian flavor.
    • Lys - The final Free cities faction, Byzantine type units perhaps.

Dothraki - Obviously Mongol inspired (but with less armor). They are a nomadic people, so there are 2 possibilities, have them start as a horde, like the Mongols, or use the Apache style village system from kingdoms. Also, it's mentioned that they are terrible at siege warfare, and never mentioned that they have infantry, so they should have to hire all their infantry and siege equipment as mercs I think.

Qarth - This would be the largest city in the world, already a huge city when the game starts, and would make huge amounts of money. The faction's units however are somewhat weak and very expensive. Moorish/Egyption style units, with extensive use of camels.

Astapor/Ghis - Not sure if all 3 of these cities should be included, or if you just had Astapor and have to conquer the other two. Their armies would be mainly slaves. Most units would be numerous, weak, and cheap. The cavalry would be free people, with brightly colored uniforms, but not all that effective. Then of course there's the Unsullied. They should have 2 hit points, cost thousands to recruit and take 3 turns, and only cost 50 or so in upkeep. I think the Eastern European Spearman or Polish Noble would be a good model, just color the spiked helmet bronze.

Summer Isles - Archery is mentioned as the specialty of the summer isles, so their main featured units should be reskinned Longbowmen.

Yi Ti - This faction could use some of the asian looking foot troops of the Mongol and Timurid factions (since the Dothraki won't be using them)

Asshai/Shadow Lands - Not sure what kind of units these should use.

(I have only read up through the 3rd book, so if any of the other factions are depicted more accurately later I'm not aware of it)

P.S., I would be willing to help if this were to take place, I can do some skinning (i'm no artist though) and unit making.
    Last edited by the_mango55; July 03, 2008 at 02:34 PM.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Gotta have The Unsullied.

Aside from the cost they should also never rout and act like dismounted knights, but unarmored in appearance.

I'd love to see Dornish Spearmen with really flamboyant spearheads. Something a little toned from from what Oberyn has in Storm of Swords, but definitely fitting that description.

Citizen

Unsullied don't have to be unarmored, they are just sold with no armor, with the buyer equipping them however they want.

I'm sure when Astapor itself employs them for national defense, it equips them with the best armor they can afford.

Maybe the "mercenary" unsullied should have no armor.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Braavos and Russia aren't similar. Braavos is inspired by Venice (the canals, the Arsenal, etc.) and Rhodes (The Titan of Braavos). Lys could be Genoa, since it also sounds like a city with a gigantic navy.

Citizen

Yeah I was just trying to include a Russian type culture somewhere.

I already had Byzantium and Italian covered with two of the other Free Cities.

Perhaps Asshai could be Russian style.
    ttt

It would be better to leave Asshai out. Nothing is known about it, but it certainly doesn't resemble Russia

Unsullied will do anything, but I thought at one point during the Dany's negotiation for them she was told they are most effective fighting only with their round shields. You may be right though.

I like the idea of the merc ones being unarmored vs. trained (free unsullied or something perhaps?) getting some light armor, but acting as heavy infantry.

i was wondering how the kings gaurd will be handled? group ancillary or individual ancillary...or actual generals?
    The Hound

For now, the Kingsguard is compressed into an ancillary that only the royal family can get. Another idea is to make it an office to award bachelor generals from the crownlands, but I don't think we can limit them to seven..

Interesting maps and ideas btw. Might be perfect for a future expansion, if we get that far

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Actually you could make a new unit called Kingsguard, and make the officer model for that unit look like the Kingsguard from the book. You could limit it to 7 recruitable units through some counters and requirements in the EDB.

TheKingSlayer's Avatar Tiro

The Idea of the Kingsguard being single units is intriguing. I'm a big proponent of having as many of the characters from the book as playable as possible. I also have been talking to Game about perhaps making Generals recruitable to give more of an immersion process. It would be like your faction took the Knight into your service. Real cool stuff.

Also, Joff's faction could use a few more generals IMO anyway. The Kingsguard would serve well in this area as well.
    Proud Team member of Westeros: Total War
    Visit us at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=721
    We..Are...PENN STATE!!!
    Semper Fi. Smashing Islamic Extremism in all forms.

"You know nothing, Jon Snow."