Page 1 of 120 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: Homophobia (originally Russian Homophobia)

Default Homophobia (originally Russian Homophobia)

http://www.channel4.com/news/world-c...ia-stephen-fry

Russia has publicly displayed much violent homophobia over the past month, perhaps most notably with the huge amount of violence during the Moscow Gay Pride parade where Moscow police failed to protect marchers from assaults by skinheads and indeed are accused of joining in these assaults.

Worryingly, Putin's Government has introduced a "Gay Propaganda" law that makes it a prisonable offence to "look gay". To date people have been arrested for holding hands, speaking about gay relationships and holding a flag.

US relations, already extremely strained over Syria and Edward Snowden, have been forced to a worse position over this, with Obama saying he will have "no patience" with homophobia in the Winter Olympics, which Russia is due to host next year.

It's clear scapegoating, whatever way you look at it, and shows the darkening boldness of Putin's quasi-dictatorship.

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Russian Homophobia

While I no way endorse homosexuality, I'm against the current situation in Russia. I think educating pupils about the dangers of a homosexual lifestyle - like AIDS and drug use - will solve the problem, instead of the "Gay Propaganda" law.

All foreigner visitors to Russia should brandish a rainbow star on an armband and burst out in chorus to songs like, YMCA and other homophiliac music pieces.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Michele Bachmann View Post
    While I no way endorse homosexuality, I'm against the current situation in Russia. I think educating pupils about the dangers of a homosexual lifestyle - like AIDS and drug use - will solve the problem, instead of the "Gay Propaganda" law.
    I think educating people the truth - that drugs and HIV can be dangerous regardless of your sexuality - might be more useful.

The issue of homophobia, weather with positive or negative outlook on such, is usually used to distract the population from more pressing issues. So your government is basically stealing more money then it makes and most social services barely work? Look, gays are about to corrupt minds and souls of our children!
    Same goes for pro-LGBT media campaigns: so your government is eroding your freedoms and spying on you? Lets forget about that, gay people are oppressed in another country!
    I also find it ironic how Obama said he won't tolerate countries that oppress gay people, but at the same time US is allied to Saudi Arabia. What a hypocritical moron.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    I think educating people the truth - that drugs and HIV can be dangerous regardless of your sexuality - might be more useful.
    But one cannot deny the prevalence of this in the homosexual community. Guess who dies the most from AIDS each year? That's right homosexual men. And guess how it's transmitted? Through promiscuous sex and syringe needles.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    I also find it ironic how Obama said he won't tolerate countries that oppress gay people, but at the same time US is allied to Saudi Arabia. What a hypocritical moron.
    The US criticises Saudi Arabia on human rights too.

Slydessertfox's Avatar Vicarius

The difference is Saudi Arabia isn't hosting the winter olympics.

Not yet.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

priam11's Avatar Campidoctor
    Toronto-Home of the crack smokin Robbie Ford

Guess who dies the most from AIDS each year? That's right homosexual men. And guess how it's transmitted? Through promiscuous sex and syringe needles.
    umm...Africans.
    "Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you.
    Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure."
    -George Carlin

I don't know for sure but I suspect all of this commotion is about distracting the public from more pressing issues, as well as shamelessly pandering to radical Christians and Muslims, both of whom enjoy quite some influence in the federation. Gay-bashing is the one thing that unites extremists from all Abrahamitic faiths. Well that and being against enlightened values.
    Putin's rule is based on populism and keeping the union together through any means necessary, essentially similar to Merkel's.

I think educating pupils about the dangers of a homosexual lifestyle - like AIDS and drug use - will solve the problem, instead of the "Gay Propaganda" law.
    AIDS and drug use are not the only "homosexual lifestyle" available, you know. They're the trademarks of an irresponsible homosexual lifestyle. Similar antisocial behaviour exists among straight people as well. Many homosexual people, including all of those among my acquaintances, lead a pretty average life with more or less conservative values.

edit: dammit I got ninja'd by Heathen Hammer!

Slydessertfox's Avatar Vicarius

But one cannot deny the prevalence of this in the homosexual community. Guess who dies the most from AIDS each year? That's right homosexual men. And guess how it's transmitted? Through promiscuous sex and syringe needles.
    *citation needed.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Guess who dies the most from AIDS each year?
    Black people, there's no need to guess, the statistics are freely available. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_Africa
    Should we "educate" people of the dangers of being black?
    Being poor also rises the statistics of AIDs related death as they cannot afford treatment. Should we also tell people to stop being poor?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Pazu the Kitsune's Avatar Shopkeeper

Dangers of a homosexual lifestyle......lmfao

You do realize that you are born gay? As in, you dont 'adopt' a homosexual lifestyle? Also, since when is AIDS and drugs part of the 'homosexual lifestyle'? To me a homosexual lifestyle is really no different from a straight lifestyle except you are attracted to people of the same gender....big whoop....i'd also like to point out that there are alot more straight men with AIDS than gay men with AIDS.....its real sad that people assume that gay men are these promiscuous people when in fact thats only a dumb stereotype promoted by the right wing, straight people can be just as promiscuous, have just as many STDs and use just as many drugs......before you go make a claim about homosexuality take the time to actually meet with and talk to a real LGBT person, see if they meet your stereotype, i think it will do alot of good.

"If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,"

-First lines to the poem "If-" (by Rudyard Kipling)

The US criticises Saudi Arabia on human rights too.
    Given the amount of economic and military cooperation it does tolerate them thou, although they are much more homophobic then Russia is. I guess its okay to kill gays if you are pro-US.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    Black people, there's no need to guess, the statistics are freely available. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_Africa
    Should we "educate" people of the dangers of being black?
    Being poor also rises the statistics of AIDs related death as they cannot afford treatment. Should we also tell people to stop being poor?
    http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/statistics/basics/ataglance.html

Do you see which groups have the most prevalence of HIV and AIDS cases? That's right, gay males. I know you're use to liberal propaganda glorifying homosexuality, but the raw facts show us that you're much more likely to get aids if you are a homosexual.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Even Communism could not stop Russian Orthodox church you think homosexuality issue can?
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Given the amount of economic and military cooperation it does tolerate them thou, although they are much more homophobic then Russia is. I guess its okay to kill gays if you are pro-US.
    It's not and the USA explicitly and repeatedly says that it is not. You do not have a point.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

There is a world outside of America you know. In this world: being black and/or poor increases your risk of AIDs way more than any sexual preference.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Spot on.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões