Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Jews or Christians, who's right?

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default Jews or Christians, who's right?

Here's the thing, we both worship the same god, but there's a dispute about Jesus, Jews claim he was no savior of any kind, and Christians say he was the son of god, the Messias and the Jews murdered him and cast off god with it, opening the worship of Jahwe for all peoples not just the people of Israel.

How can any side be sure they are right? The jews are gods favourite, so are we Christians arrogant by claiming him for ourelves based on the accounts of 1 man that died on the cross?

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

Default Re: Jews or Christians, who's right?

The Christians are just the ones who got tired of waiting.
    Blut und Boden

Dunecat's Avatar Praefectus

I recommend THIS.

They spend a whole bible going over why...

Centenarius

Muslims are right.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    Moderator Emeritus

Who's right? Depends on which side you belong to.

Of course, the Jewish prophecies DID say that they would kill the Messiah when He came, so....

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    Who's right? Depends on which side you belong to.

Of course, the Jewish prophecies DID say that they would kill the Messiah when He came, so....
    really? I didn't know this

Moderator Emeritus

It's kind of in the Old Testament, in the prophecies...

It's kind of in the Old Testament, in the prophecies...
    Where? Can post the text?

This is a bit of a random thread. Jews'll say they're right, Christians'll say they're right, and atheists'll say neither are right.

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

Neither is any more correct than the other. Christianity is based on (and was originally a sect of) Judaism. Judaism, IMO, actually makes more logical sense, especially in regards to the afterlife. The most important thing to understand, however, is that they both developed during times when religious answers made logical sense for the questions of the world. Presently, it is much harder and much more illogical to reach the conclusion that "God did it," regardless of what the question is.
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Icefrisco View Post
    Where? Can post the text?
    Well, I don't exactly have a Bible right now in front of me...

So does that make both sides arrogant? Both claim a god, yet nobody has any real proof, Personally I think, if we can take the bible as true, in the Old Testament God himself came to the jews telling them they where his favourites and he would raise Israel above all peoples! In the New Testament there is no mention of god himself comming down to tell people any of these things, so, even tough I'm catholic, I think we are worshiping a god who doesn't care about us since he specifically mentioned that the people of Israel are his chosen people.

jews for sure, there's ZERO evidences regarding jesus (miracles,etc) and note this time was heavily recorded and you didn't find any reference about jesus as "prophet", also jesus on this time was a common name, perhaps like "john,henry,etc" on today england or america .....

so on my point of view, early christianity was just a bunch of jewish extremists wich had separeted from the traditional jewish faith and tradition, jesus and his history was just a tool to pick followers...

(sorry for my bad english...)
    Common sense removed due being Disruptive.

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Ataegina View Post
    jews for sure, there's ZERO evidences regarding jesus (miracles,etc) and note this time was heavily recorded and you didn't find any reference about jesus as "prophet", also jesus on this time was a common name, perhaps like "john,henry,etc" on today england or america .....

so on my point of view, early christianity was just a bunch of jewish extremists wich had separeted from the traditional jewish faith and tradition, jesus and his history was just a tool to pick followers...

(sorry for my bad english...)
    This means nothing. Judaism can be debunked using the same logic. There is ZERO evidence for any of the "miracles" performed by God in the Torah.

Also, this era was not as "heavily recorded" as you claim. Records were kept by people who could write...which was not the majority of people. Records also, over time, have a tendency to become manipulated, lost or even destroyed, both intentionally and unintentionally.
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

Dunecat's Avatar Praefectus

>_>

Quote Originally Posted by ƞeophyte View Post

>_>
    I don't get it?

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Neither is right nor wrong. A religion that is right for one may not necessarily be right for another. The question boils down to: does truth necessarily have to be an objective concept with a static incarnation?

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    The Old Testament nowhere says that the Messiah will die before fulfilling his mission. Maimonides, in fact, later identifies that idea as heresy. It was what the Christians came up with to salvage their belief system when the one they thought was Messiah died, nothing that the Bible had said would occur to the true Messiah.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

The Jews were looking fr someone more like Mohamed. A military leader.
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Exactly. The Jews during Jesus' time were ready for a full-on revolt, if only someone arose that could be strong enough to unite the various seditious groups into a single revolutionary part. A Lenin, so to speak.

When Jesus started preaching, some hoped that he'd be that person- that his oratory skills and charisma would be matched by a likewise capability to lead a successful insurrection.
    Their hopes for a revolutionary war of liberation were betrayed by their kind leader's message of peace and reconciliation, and so some of them informed the Roman authorities, and got rid of him, seeing him as an unnecessary roadblock in the path of rebellion, and hoped that the next messiah-claimant would fulfil their ideals.
    I think that the figure of Judas Iscariot is not a real historical person, but a metaphor; an amalgamated character used to represent all of those followers of Jesus' sect who were too impatient to hear their leader out.
    And, I don't honestly believe for a second that Jesus himself claimed to be the Jewish messiah. Maybe a prophet or something, but I think that his closest followers, after he died, acclaimed him to be a martyred messiah, to bolster support for their sect, which spiralled out of control.

'Course, when a messiah claimant came along who did promise war, i.e Simon bar Kokhba, he and his army were utterly defeated by the superior Roman military. Showing that, well, wartime messiah claims are mostly crap unless you can back it up with a good military force.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast