Thread: Let's talk about FREE WAR GAMES; Abandonware

Default Let's talk about FREE WAR GAMES; Abandonware

http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/...e_too_far.html

Close Combat 2 Operation Market Garden.

Folks, this is a classic tactics game and even now in the age of dazzling graphics you won't be wasting your time downloading this little program and playing it. It's addictive. But seriously, teh Brits had the worst antitank weapons; not rocket propelled, but SPRING PROPELLED. They guys that designed that weapon had a big hate on for Tommy Atkinson or something...

My favorite moment in the game? ordering a squad of Brits to run from the shelter of a farmhouse across the road to a block of houses and getting mowed down by a German machine gunner on the roof. When I looked back to check on them there the poor buggers were in pools of blood...
    Last edited by Cadmium77; May 30, 2008 at 01:24 AM.

Default Re: Let's talk about FREE WAR GAMES; Abandonware

But you still need to pay to download from that site .

Quote Originally Posted by killerxguy View Post
    But you still need to pay to download from that site .
    http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/..._panthers.html

Dang nab it..

Roflmao.

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Cadmium77 View Post
    But seriously, teh Brits had the worst antitank weapons; not rocket propelled, but SPRING PROPELLED. They guys that designed that weapon had a big hate on for Tommy Atkinson or something...
    Sorry for being a bit anal here, but I feel I must comment on this.

Yes, the PIAT wasn't very good - it had been superceded by rocket-propelled devices such as Bazooka, but it did work (although you needed balls of steel to get within range of your target in order to use the damn thing).

The British also had the very good 6lbr anti-tank gun, and it was this which enabled the Oosterbeek perimeter to be held against the SS Panzers for so long.

Unfortunately, in order to have heavy weapons like the 6lbr, the British drop needed to include gliders to carry them, meaning that it had to take place several miles to the west of Arnhem where there was the necessary open space to land the gliders.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

I love CC2 - one of the best games ever, still play it after all these years..

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Haha, I've still got Close Combat 2 on CD. I took it out, installed it, and started playing it not long ago. I found I'd lost all my skill at the game and I got absolutely destroyed. I remember being good at that game.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

boofhead's Avatar Dux Limitis

I was going to say....it can't be abandonware because I purchased Close Combat V this year from a games shop.

I dont know if its abandonware, but CC2 is 11 years old. I got it cheap back in the 90's anyway.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag