Thread: holy love

Default holy love

any good advice on how to win the affection from the pope? I actually never relaly totally gasp the skill to....pleasure the pope's holiness. does using assassins make him hate me? does attack factions he likes make him hate me? what about building priests and churches? I have tons of those but he still hate me. i lose a cross from him every 4 turns and i dont know why!

Loha4's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: holy love

Bribing him doesen't seem to work well in this mod either because he gets lots of gold each turn I think... (noticed some scripts adding money to various factions... cant tell if its just at the begging or each turn). Best thing to do would be to avoid attacking catholics and crusade as much as possible to convert the populace.

The only way I got a alliance with the pope was when I offered him the alliance and gave him Mosul.

That is how I got in good with him

Kins

any good advice on how to win the affection from the pope? I actually never relaly totally gasp the skill to....pleasure the pope's holiness. does using assassins make him hate me? does attack factions he likes make him hate me? what about building priests and churches? I have tons of those but he still hate me. i lose a cross from him every 4 turns and i dont know why!
    This is the challenge of playing on VH/VH, your relations drop like that with everyone. If you dont like it I suggest you play on medium campaign difficulty. For the most logical diplomacy game play on medium campaign settings. But you may find this to easy, you just have to accept that some things must work differently on very hard.

Dave

oh no i understand that it is ok to have it hard, i actually just want to know what gets your favor with the pope up or down. like i guess being agressive gets it down right? what gets it up?

THARN's Avatar Senator

to get the pope in better relations.. send priests... max out the priests - and send them to the places that are less catholic for conversions.. some priests will get voted in as cardinals. building churches also helps/ along with taking any other settlements from other religions. and converting them- an easy way to get perfect relations is to take some cheesy settlement while on a campaign and give it to the papal states. pillage/ destroy buildings -give to papal states and move on.

I play H/H I just dont enjoy playing on vh/vh as it seems a bit over the top.

My tactic is to do what I want. Attack catholic states, burn down cities, etc etc. As long as I have a mass of priests out roaming around (usually in Orthodox and Muslim areas), I'm pretty safe. Yes I get excommunicated, but then I send a massive army to Rome, kill the Pope, and have a new one elected. If he doesn't like me still, rinse and repeat until I get one of my own faction's cardinals as Pope and they'll love me .

Groenepuntmuts's Avatar Miles

It's a bit like having your faction rated "very trustworthy"
    I never start wars, I simply fight back as soon as someone starts a war with me. at the start of the campaign, get alliances with anyone, except the islamic factions.(for crusades) especially the alliance with the pope is important, because if someone attacks you, the pope won't like them for attacking his ally...

then simply listen to the pope. you don't need high-level churches, but make sure you build the first and maybe second church in each settlement.

as soon as you crusade and get an islamic region, mass priests. they will gain piety and traits for converting an entire region, and pretty soon most cardinals will be yours...*muawhahahaha*

does sacking settlements or killing prisoners have negative affects? actually i was wondering about how to be "trustworthy" as well. does using assassinates make you untrustworthy? does having a faction leader with alot of dreads affect you negatively? so many questions!!! :[

The answer is "yes" for all your questions. The pope don't like to see christians prisonners killed. And a chivalric leader is of course more trustworthy than a master of killers.

does it make it ok to offer ransom first and than kill if they dont pay?

Yes, because if you claim a ransom, that prove you don't want to kill some christians. If the looser don't want to pay, you have no choice. Of course, you gain chivalry and pope's attention if you make all your prisonners free. A very good reputation has its cost...