Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Makedonia dreamin' AAR

Default Makedonia dreamin' AAR

Makedonia Dreamin' AAR

Recently, I've been having good time playing XGM and hanging around on XGM forum. Read plenty of interesting/amazing/useful things. Had many laughs. So, this AAR is my attempt to give something back.
    Why Macedon? (i) never played Macedon, even in vanilla RTW (it’s weird I know); (ii) Macedon XGM AARs seem cursed: they all been stopped at early stage; (iii) plenty of interesting expansion scenarios: e.g. possibility to recreate the Alexander’s empire or to nail Romans, and so on and so forth.

So, we are playing Macedon
    XGM 5.6.7
    Hard / Hard
    AI bonuses - on
    Fatigue - on
    Loyalty - off
    No land bridges
    Alex.exe
    No cheating, no reloading.
    I bribe rebel generals occasionally; assassinate – with no hesitation.
    I'll try to avoid bridge battles.

The account of the first 3 turns is a bit fragmented: I was not planning to make AAR of this compaign. Updates will contain more pics and less text.

Chapter 1. The Heir.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

280 B.C. All is quiet in the kingdom of Macedon. “Or is it?” though Gyras, the heir of the throne. Fifty years after the death of Alexander the Great. Macedon is just a shadow of its former glory. Control, and even influence, over Thrace has been lost. Greeks rallied around Athens again: their military power has grown strong. Rome (the Italian peasants, as Gyras farther Antigonos used to say) grew strong as well and is a power now in the Mediterranean. If they can shake Epirus off and challenge Carthage, they could become THE power of the Mediterranean. The time of the titans has come. Who would rise to the height of the master of the world, the height achieved by Gods alone?

“And now, Sardica infested with Celts!” he almost shouted at his farther. “Those Celts must be taught a lesson before they make any grand ideas about themselves” his farther replied after a moment of silence. “Take the men you need and march to Sardica. But, try to avoid battles. We want to show them that cannot pass to Macedon. This should divert them to Thrace. Let bloody barbarians fight each other … he-he-he” laughed the old man deviously.”
    “Yes, farther.”
    “Why you need so many men; you even ask for companions to join you? Those are just barbarians.” Well, I though more troops should see some action, they are paid anyway. Yeah, you are right”, said greedy Antigonos, they just drink and party all day long on my expense. Be gone with them.”

Antigonos, the old fox, did not know that he was outfoxed by Gyras who met the spy from Sardica personally and greatly diminished the number of barbarians in order to get the army under his command. A careful Antigonos would certainly take over the army if the situation would look too serious. Gyras knew it’s now or never. He was not naïve. He new, the Macedon will rise with him or will fall together with him. But, that was the risk he was willing to take …

*The barbarians*

Later that summer the Macedonian army marched into Sardica valley. “The valley of shadow they’ll call it” he though. That was not a comforting thought at all …

Three large Celtic camps were spotted in the Sardica valley. Now completely aware of the gravity of the situation he took a defensive position on a mountain slope and was awaiting for the enemy move. He was sure, his army was spotted and to retreat now would be foolish. Soon enough the closest celtic camp came to life. An army of celts at least as numerous as Gyras’ army was approaching.

*1st battle of Sardica*

Gyras decided to place phalanx (the anvil) in the center and light infantry and hoplites on flanks. Cavalry (the hammer) was moved to the right. Our knowledge of the details of that battle are scarce, but Plutarch (J) gives the following brief account of that battle.

Enemy cavalry charged the wings of the Macedonian army, but was stopped and routed/destroyed. Celts, on purpose or not, were avoiding the phalanx and concentrated their effort on the left flank of the Macedon army. Hoplites, supported by the spearmen managed to stop the enemy advancement on the left flank. Gyras ordered the cavalry to charge the enemy infantry engaged on the left Macedon flank. Cavalry charge was successful and they created a breach in the enemy line. The cavalry captain noticed the enemy captain surrounded by a mass of archers and charged creating havoc. Just before the enemy captain fleed, a unit of spearmen flanked the Macedon cavalry. The enemy commander was routed as all his army soon after him, but two third of the Macedon cavalry was lost in multiple charges of the enemy infantry. The anvil was dead, long live the anvil, Gyras thought.

*2nd battle of Sardica*

Macedonians had just enough time to regroup, when the second celtic army was upon them. This time Gyras splited phalanx in three groups: one, the strongest in the center, and two smaller on flanks. Gyras expected celts to press on flanks again. This time he wanted phalanx to take a better part in the battle. Light infantry behind phalanx, closer to flanks, hoplites on the left flank to create an advantage. Gyras gathered all that was left of the cavalry around him in the center ready to support his troops in critical moments.

That was a strange battle … first, enemy cavalry charged on the right flank, but celts were careless enough to hit the flank of the phalanx and not rear. Light infantry from behind the phalanx did their job well … two celtic cavalry units were destroyed in no time.

Then, something much unexpected happened … enemy general charged into the gap between left flank and center phalanx. But the gap was too narrow and there were thureothoroi just behind. Drustan of Silva and his bodyguards stared the death ...

There was a rumor that a hoplite showed the enemy general a certain part of his body, which enraged the general and made him loose his head, literally and later actually.

Enemy continued to press on the Macedonian right wing, but with less flare. Finally, Gyras ordered the center and right flank phalanx to move forward and press the remaining enemy troops. Soon, the enemy fled and the Macedon cavalry slaughtered many celts, avenging their fallen brothers in arms …

*3rd battle of Sardica*

“One army left” thought Gyras encouraged by the course of the events. There was no time to regroup or contemplate; Erbin of Massilia and his mighty army were upon Macedonians.

Gyras split the falanx in two groups this time. One covered center and left flank and had a higher position, another smaller group formed the right wing and was supported by hoplites. Light infantry was split even between two groups and positioned behind phalanx. Gyras counted on the up-hill position of the main phalanx group and was planning to turn phalanx inside and wrap the enemy that was (hopefully) to fucus their attacks on the right flank.

As Gyras predicted the enemy attacked the Macedonian right wing: all four celtic cavalry units merged and headed towards the right Macedonian flank. Gyras turned hoplites to prevent the enemy hitting the rear of the auxiliary troops and right-hand phalanx.

“This is it”, thought Gyras watching the enemy cavalry approaching … like in slow motion … and then ...

... barbarians just stopped in front of the hoplite’s line. The thureothoroi took the advantage of this moment of hesitation/stupidity and threw all their spears. One cavalry unit was dispatched in no time. Celtic cavalry still standing. Gyras raise his hand and order hoplites to engage the nearby cavalry unit. He himself takes all the available cavalry and charges into the third remaining cavalry unit and route them in no time (that was light cavalry). Main body of the celtic army approaches and engages the phalanx, mostly the right-hand phalanx that was standing still in good order. Thureothoroi joined hoplites and finish off the enemy cavalry.

The main phalanx group turns inside and supported by light infantry advances downhill at the enemy. The enemy general soon loses control of his army (and self-control) and flees for his life to Sardica (with his nice long hair in the wind ). His army follows him in disarray. Having little cavalry left, Gyras could not take the full advantage of this mid-fight routing: an enemy contingent escapes and retreats to Sardica.

“Could be worse”, smiled Gyras to himself, now relived and back to his normal philosophical state of the mind.

The old man Antigonos got angry, then happy and proud, then a bit jealous of his son’s deeds, then happy and proud again. He sent his son to watch over the Greeks, just to keep him busy. He took the charge of some of the remaining and some fresh troops and lay siege at Sardica. He personally commanded the assault of the settlement and remained in history as the conqueror of Sardica …

Chapter 2. Conquest of Peloponnese.

*You should not have left …*

Winter of 278BC brought important news. The bulk of the Greek military forces embarked and was about to sail away. The goal of this expedition was not clear, but the scale of preparations was pointing to a large-scale operation and a far destination.

Gyras new that was a unique opportunity to strike and bring Greece under rule of Macedon. He has gathered the garrisons of Larissa, Thebes, Corinth, and partly Pella and split them in two detachments. As soon as it was confirmed that Greeks set sails, Gyras besieged Athens, whereas Damasos besieged Sparta (summer 277BC). Gyras new that was a gamble, but he also new that the fortune favours the bold.

After short but bloody struggles both great Greek cities fell into hands of Macedonians. Macedonians had numerical superiority, but had to rely mostly on light infantry and some phalanx units. Spartans fought bravely, but could not prevent the inevitable …

*You should not have returned …*

Winter 277BC. Damasos besieges the last Greek city – Patras. However, soon the Greek expedition force returns. Damasos had to lift the siege, but had no time retreat.

His limited force faces the Greek army, is defeated in a short but fierce battle. Last-moment dramatic escape of Damasos was due to courage and skill of a slingers unit, who covered the retreat of their general.

In the mean time Gyras requests and receives all the Macedon field forces under his command and marches towards Patras. He could not save the Damasos army. But he finds the Greek army stationed in Patras. He seizes the opportunity to finish the Peloponnese campaign in one strike and besieges Patras in summer 276BC.

After long preparations he finally orders his troops to assault the city.

*Battle for Patras*

Gyras sends two battering rams to breach the walls to the right and to the left of the main gate. He ignores the gate for now. Breaches are wide enough to allow the heavy infantry to enter in good order. Gyras sends mercenary hoplites and a unit of levy phalagites into the right hand breach (supported by fire of four units of Thureothoroi). A chaotic and fierce melee commences at the breech. Hoplites and levy phalangites were slowly losing terrain. A fresh unit of phalangits was ordered to enter the same breach and they began gaining terrain and finally relive hoplites and levy phalangists. The enemy general found his death on the tips of the phalangites' sarissas.
    In the mean time four units of Thureothoroi has entered the left-hand breach just in time to engage two Greek phalanx, which were about to aid their comrades. Soon the enemy will be overwhelmed, routed and destroyed.

The road to the main square is wide open now and the Macedon cavalry pours into the city. On their way to main square they destroy a unit of archers and a unit of slingers, unable to stop the wave of the Macedon horsemen. Soon they reach the main square and struggle is over soon.

---
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; February 10, 2009 at 05:05 AM.

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Makedonia dreamin' AAR

ME - I like the story.
    I like the defeat of the Gallation Invasion.
    Keep it up - stick to them Athenians and Spartans etc.

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

TM Is Back's Avatar Campidoctor

Nice battle's. Just try next time to have more screenies.

I will follow this AAR.

Are you playing on large or huge unit scale? It's been over a month since I've played and I forget what the unit size is for huge.
    "We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender."
    - Winston Churchill

This is large. Huge is 240 for phalangites.

Primicerius

Great start ME, you're right that Macedonian AARs' are cursed, so lets hope you can rectify that with this one. Good luck. :

Guys, glad you dropped in. I'll try to keep it up and bring in good stuff.

Fox, TM answered your question. I would like to add: The more the merrier! But be aware, on huge unit size the cities you'll pump units from will grow slowly. My PC is not top of the line, so I keep it on large for now.

@ TM is back. I am taking pics more systematically now. So, everybody should expect more pics that will speak for themselves and therefore less text. The best is yet to come

Next update - later today (The conquest of Peloponnese). I'll add it to the first post.
    (Edited: It's ready. See post 1 , Chapter 2)

Coming up next: sieges and assaults, naval invasions, many dead enemy generals ...
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; December 19, 2008 at 06:57 AM.

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

Nice AAR, looks like you're fairing better than I did at the beginning of my Mac AAR lol..."Heirs of Alexander". I got a good paddlin' by the Gauls...
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

Nice update ME. +rep. Again Greece is under Macadonian rule.
    Last edited by TM Is Back; May 31, 2008 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balikedes View Post
    Nice AAR, looks like you're fairing better than I did at the beginning of my Mac AAR lol..."Heirs of Alexander". I got a good paddlin' by the Gauls...
    Read your AAR, Balikedes (it had cool title, I could not come up with something better). Pity it died young. Your beginning was more spicy.

Unfortunately, I cannot give details on first 3 battles: was not planning an AAR, decided later. But I sure will replay those battles one day to give details for those who are interested. I guess it's possible to make a hat-trick of heroic victories Some "juicy" assaults are coming up next. So, do not forget to check for updates from time to time.
    ME
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; June 02, 2008 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TM Is Back View Post
    Nice update ME. +rep. Again Greece is under Macadonian rule.
    Thanks, TM. Asia Minor and Africa await to be conquered. I'll try to recreate Alexander's empire (hopefully before summer holidays). So, stick around if you do not want to miss events of epic proportions

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Equitum View Post
    Thanks, TM. Asia Minor and Africa await to be conquered. I'll try to recreate Alexander's empire (hopefully before summer holidays). So, stick around if you do not want to miss events of epic proportions
    Wow before the holidays... then you must have so much free time. I wish i had.

Quote Originally Posted by TM Is Back View Post
    Wow before the holidays... then you must have so much free time. I wish i had.
    I meant my summer holidays. That's one month from now A good plan, decent armies, and few long nights and I'm there: king of kings

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Equitum View Post
    I meant my summer holidays. That's one month from now A good plan, decent armies, and few long nights and I'm there: king of kings
    I know. I ment that you should play much then to finish it he. You will be busy.

I sure will be, TM. Being king of the kings is a full time job
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; May 31, 2008 at 05:43 PM.

Chapter 3. Independent Greeks & Rebels.

272 BC. Three years passed since Gyras became the master of Peloponnese and most of the Greece. Gyras decided to take some time to reorganize and update his army, as well as give the expanded Macedon time to settle economically. His farther fell ill two years earlier and spent most of his time in Pella. All the executive power was in Gyras hands now. People of Macedon will soon recognize their new leader.

Although in winter 271 BC the army reorganization was still in progress, Gyras decided to lay siege on Ambracia, the nearest city of Independent Greeks. The settlement was well fortified and had a decent garrison. In summer 272 BC he orders the assault.

* the battle for Ambracia *

A sap point was exploited to breach the wall to the right of the main gate. A unit of archers was caught by surprise when the wall collapsed. Many of them died.

On the left-side of the main gate the mercenary hoplites have stormed the wall using a siege tower. They clashed with enemy hoplites in a fierce melee in attempt to push their way to the main gate towers.

The mercenary hoplites were slowly losing the battle for the main gate. Gyras sent phalangists -decent swordsmen- to aid the mercenary hoplites and also a unit of thureophoi for missile support.

Thureothoi “silenced” the enemy slingers and inflicted casualties among ebemy hoplites as well. Soon the last defender of the main gate was thrown down. In the mean time the Macedon spearmen were ordered to push their way through the breach. They were stopped, but upon arrival fresh Macedon troops, the enemy retreated in the direction of the main square.

Two units of phalangists managed to enter the main square in good order and clashed with enemy hoplites, which were supported by a unit of thureophoi. Enemy general charged in a desperate attempt to overwhelm the phalangists and turn the tide of the battle. But battle-hardened phalangists stood their ground firmly.

Within minutes Macedon Thorakitai reached the main square and flanked the enemy infantry. Soon it was all over.

*the battle for Thermon*

In 269BC Gyras faced a dilemma: to advance to Salona – the last IG city in the region – or advance to Thermon, the heart of the Greek resistance. Thermon was poorly fortified, but its garrison was an impressive army under command of Iolkios, an old Greek general and a fierce enemy of Macedon. Gyras decided to secure his rear and besieged Thermon. He ordered assault in summer 269 BC.

The plan was to breach the city walls in two places. Archers were to support with a constant fire at the defenders of the city.

The enemy archers did not answered the challenge and preferred to run. Many of them met death at once.

Under the storm of arrows, the enemy spearmen that were guarding the left-hand breech have retreated with heavy losses.

The enemy heavy infantry also retreated away from the main gate, out of the archers range.

Watching the main gate and breaches deserted, Gyras orders the assault. The levy phalangists entered the left-hand breach in good order and unchallenged.

Enemy phalangists were approach to engage the macedonian phalangists. A group of thureophoroi and thorakitai were ordered to fire at approaching enemy.

Less than a half of the enemy unit reached the Macedon lines. Soon they routed.

Levy Phalangists entered in good order the right-hand breach and were successfully holding the brave but futile attempt of rebel hoplites to push them back.

In the meantime, another group of enemy phalangists was approaching to take part in the battle. Gyras ordered a mix group of thureophoroi and thorakitai to meet the approaching enemy reinforcements with missile fire.

The Macedonians met the approaching enemy phalanx with volleys of spears.

The casualties amoung the enmy phalangists were so severe that the enemy routed moments after engaging the Macedon phalanx line. Rebel spearmen arrived and flanked the Macedon phalanx. The phalanx broke and the brave pahalangists drew their swords.

Finally, Macedonian spearmen that entered the left-hand breach joined the battle at the right breech: they flanked the enemy and put an end to their resistance.

The Macedonian troops that fought at the right-hand breech took the nearest street and marched in the direction of the city square. A unit of greek archers stopped their advancement … but just for a moment.

The levy phalangists that fought on left were ordered to take the main street and march on towards the main square. They were supported by slingers who cleared the street of the remainder of an enemy thureophoroi unit.

Levy Phalangists finally reached the main square, where they were engaged by Greek hoplites and phalangists.

The Macedon phalangists were just in time to take it over from their comrades. Slingers poured into the square and began firing at the defenders.

The city defenders were determined to die fighting.

And so they did …

---
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; August 04, 2008 at 07:05 AM.

Nice battle ME. Keep up the good work, i like this

Intresting AAR, good righting style and the right amount of screenshots.

After greece is all under control where to next, Italy or thrace?

Quote Originally Posted by simonsnizle View Post
    Intresting AAR, good righting style and the right amount of screenshots.

After greece is all under control where to next, Italy or thrace?
    Well, I was thinking of keeping Thrace alive as "client" state to maintain sort of buffer between Macedon/Greece and the barbarian world. In the mean time, I will advance into Asia Minor (where clash with TSE would be innevitable in a few turns). Crete and Rhodos are under the Macedon rule now, and Halicarnassus as well.

Rome grew strong; they kicked Carthage out of Sicily; are besieging the last Ind. Greek city in Italy and have 4 full stacks wondering around Italy. And I am not sure Gaul can keep them busy for too long. But Carthage seems still alive and kicking. So, I guess, I'll have to deal with Rome, but not today

Edited: The report on the battle for Thermon is posted now.
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; August 14, 2008 at 08:55 AM.

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

OW! heavy casualties in the levy dude! < 1% survivors.

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast